Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DEATH BY DRONE (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106675)

lexlueger 09-19-2010 02:47 PM

DEATH BY DRONE

I am dying a slow painful death!!:cry:. This exhaust (cherry bomb extreme) drones like a motherflower. Every gear from idle to about 3k rpm and again at cruising speeds. Sounds great at WOT.. anything else is uncivilized.

I think a sleeper exhaust in order( mainly because almost every woman that has riden in the car comments **complains** on the noise). Who makes the quietest catback for the SS? I was thinking of doing Corsa for the L99, although I have the DOD delete:iono:, I think the resonators will kill some of the sound.:help:

Supercharged SS 09-19-2010 02:59 PM

I have the same problem with my 3" Kooks. I had Jannetty install two 12" stainless steel rseonators and it knocked out at least 50% of the drone. I was pretty suprised. Maybe call up Ted and ask him to get you two. We were going to try four but couldn't do to the lack of room. The price wasn't all that bad but I can't remember the exact $$

Entaille 09-19-2010 03:00 PM

corsa is a good choice for what you want. cherry bomb is like an auto zone / pep boys type of brand, what do you expect? : P

ckaram 09-19-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entaille (Post 2346778)
corsa is a good choice for what you want. cherry bomb is like an auto zone / pep boys type of brand, what do you expect? : P

+1

duffmobile 09-19-2010 03:08 PM

I have a brand new X-pipe for the Corsa L99 system if you want it. It's never been used. That should quiet your system down a bit.

lexlueger 09-19-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entaille (Post 2346778)

I wouldn't go that far... . Glasspacks were what to have in the days of muscle *my rational behind getting it*.. Cherry bomb has been around for ever.

lexlueger 09-19-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffmobile (Post 2346790)
I have a brand new X-pipe for the Corsa L99 system if you want it. It's never been used. That should quiet your system down a bit.

Thanks for the offer! I would rather go with a complete system and not mix n match.

Hicompression 09-19-2010 03:21 PM

The Magnaflow "Street Series" mufflers are the quietest mufflers in my opinion. I was running their axle-back for a while. They were too quiet for me.

lexlueger 09-19-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicompression (Post 2346813)
The Magnaflow "Street Series" mufflers are the quietest mufflers in my opinion. I was running their axle-back for a while. They were too quiet for me.

Did you have long tubes? I have Cold air intake , long tube headers and mast stage 1 camshaft.

Jekyll-N-Hyde 09-19-2010 04:12 PM

I have 1 7/8 longtubes , Xpipe , borla stingers and ADM Stage 2 Cam and my car has a LS3 and a Automatic.

Drone is there but it can be Controled by how you work the Gas pedal.

hrpiii 09-19-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 2346757)
. Who makes the quietest catback for the SS? .:help:

Chevy does, put the stock stuff back on it.

ZAPSSRS 09-19-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 2346775)
I have the same problem with my 3" Kooks. I had Jannetty install two 12" stainless steel rseonators and it knocked out at least 50% of the drone. I was pretty suprised. Maybe call up Ted and ask him to get you two. We were going to try four but couldn't do to the lack of room. The price wasn't all that bad but I can't remember the exact $$

I have the same system and I am dealing with drone.
Did the resonators change the sound at idle or WOT much?

You have a pic of where you placed them? What reference from the tunnel brace? Are the resonators 3"?

Hicompression 09-19-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 2346876)
Did you have long tubes? I have Cold air intake , long tube headers and mast stage 1 camshaft.

Yes, I tried them with my longtubes. In my opinion, they were quieter than stock mufflers. I put the stock LS3 cat-back on and prefer it over the Magnaflow.

Oldrocker 09-19-2010 05:10 PM

I like my Pypes system. I doubt it is the quietest, but it has no drone at cruising speed. Sounds just right to me and I don't like obnoxiously loud exhaust. This one sounds good opened up but calms back down at lower RPM's.