Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   2012 "Track Pack" Camaro to be called Z/28... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131653)

RLHMARINES 02-26-2011 02:05 PM

2012 "Track Pack" Camaro to be called Z/28...

Just got my latest edition of auto rag car and driver and in it under the guise of "The Future Is A Puzzle", 25 Cars Worth Waiting For, it lists the 2012 ZL1 Camaro as number 18 Across on the puzzle. It kinda sums up what a lot of what we have learned of so far on the new model, BUT... it also talks of the next to be released 2012 Camaro model as the "Track Pack" or as they elude to as the 2012 Camaro Z/28. It's speculated to have a significantly stiffened chassis as the basis for the hard core version of the Camaro line, with handling as it's primary focus. Power is speculated to come from either an up rated LS3 or a version of the LS7 :drool:to do battle with the Boss 302 and appease those who are more interested in track days but do not want high tech dampers as part of the package. They speculate that come next April, Chevy will release this model for public consumption. I really do not know how much of this is insider info and how much is just pure speculation on their part.
:iono:

Tantalizer43 02-26-2011 04:21 PM

That would be sweet!

zebra 02-26-2011 04:41 PM

oh, here we go again... :facepalm:

thePill 02-26-2011 05:07 PM

If only GM could react that quicky.. The Boss 302 first drives are out, and it seems it is a bang for the buck.. quicker than the M3, cost alittle more than the GT and has America written all over it..

el ess A 02-26-2011 05:18 PM

GM is, and has been a follower and not a leader in the Pony car market.

I say this because they are usually reactive instead of proactive when it comes to innovation and thrusting out new models.

But, when Camaro responds to a Mustang bite, it usually responds with a hammer. I wish they WOULD bring out something that you see FORD for a change go out and buy a ZL1 or Z28 or whatever to go comparison testing their new model. But so far we've only seen that with the ZL1 testing.

I'm tired of the answers following the question. For once I'd like to see GM get out in front. FAR in front.

Other than that, the "car wars" are great. In the end we all win, whichever brand we prefer.

But that article...PURE speculation. All of it. Only GM knows for sure.

SQUALO 02-27-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el ess X (Post 2892373)

I say this because they are usually reactive instead of proactive when it comes to innovation and thrusting out new models.

But, when Camaro responds to a Mustang bite, it usually responds with a hammer. I wish they WOULD bring out something that you see FORD for a change go out and buy a ZL1 or Z28 or whatever to go comparison testing their new model. But so far we've only seen that with the ZL1 testing.

I'm tired of the answers following the question. For once I'd like to see GM get out in front. FAR in front.

Other than that, the "car wars" are great. In the end we all win, whichever brand we prefer.

:word:

The article could have some truth to it, but like you said only GM really knows.
Prior to the ZL1 spy shots, info was leaking out that parts were seen floating around, and eventually the car started to surface.
I think the Z28 is going down the same road, some parts have been seen around "the palaces".
Let's hope it's not too long, and I'm not looking for time frame from anyone, because unless you work there and REALLY KNOW, don't get people going...PLEASE :paddle:
Let's just be patient, I know it's hard, it's killing me, and everything will work out in the end.

Berean 02-27-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Sadly, this is true.

Number 3 02-27-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 2892261)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thePill (Post 2892335)
If only GM could react that quicky.. The Boss 302 first drives are out, and it seems it is a bang for the buck.. quicker than the M3, cost alittle more than the GT and has America written all over it..

A littlemore than a GT? I thought the sticker was $41,000 and up from there. Still not a bad deal, though.

And as mentioned around other threads, very few looking at an M3 are cross shopping Mustangs or Camaros for that matter.

Quote:

Ford invented the Pony car segment. But I would also suggest that a low volume Boss doesn't make the Mustang a better car. It simply means they have a more focussed model available that most people aren't going to buy.

And you guys are forgetting one major thing. GM went through bankruptcy and cancelled or delayed a LOT of programs. If you want to judge GM on this fine. But Ford mortgaged the farm and blew borrowed money on products during that same stretch.

Revo1 02-27-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 2892261)

OldJedi 02-27-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLHMARINES (Post 2891828)
Just got my latest edition of auto rag car and driver and in it under the guise of "The Future Is A Puzzle", 25 Cars Worth Waiting For, it lists the 2012 ZL1 Camaro as number 18 Across on the puzzle. It kinda sums up what a lot of what we have learned of so far on the new model, BUT... it also talks of the next to be released 2012 Camaro model as the "Track Pack" or as they elude to as the 2012 Camaro Z/28. It's speculated to have a significantly stiffened chassis as the basis for the hard core version of the Camaro line, with handling as it's primary focus. Power is speculated to come from either an up rated LS3 or a version of the LS7 :drool:to do battle with the Boss 302 and appease those who are more interested in track days but do not want high tech dampers as part of the package. They speculate that come next April, Chevy will release this model for public consumption. I really do not know how much of this is insider info and how much is just pure speculation on their part.
:iono:

The problem I have with this information is that the car is scheduled to be released next April. The new ZL1 starts production Jan. 2012 and gets to dealers in March 2012. I don't think the Z28 will come into showrooms a month later.

As much as I had hoped the name of the coming ZL1 was actually Z28, the car itself is actually what I was looking for. I have gotten used to the fact that it will be named ZL1 and that further down the road there will be a Z28. It most likely will NOT be a S/C engine and be more of a road star. I hope for those of you that will wait for the Z28, that it will be everything that you want it to be. Chevy built me exactly what I wanted in a ZL1. There may be cars built that will be faster or others that handle better, but none that will take the place of my ZL1.

midnighter 02-27-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 2894481)

+1

Mr. Wyndham 02-27-2011 01:00 PM

So....because GM wasn't first this time around to produce a car with LOW demand and likely few here would buy....they're a follower and therefor inferior? :facepalm:

Wake up and smell the rubber people....while these cars are really cool, and we all drool over them -- the demand is almost non-existent and the return-on-investment is not worth it unless the only goal is bragging rights. (In a market where the Camaro is dominating the Mustang at every turn...bragging rights would be important for Ford, right now)

Remember...while Ford can throw some $$$ at this extremely-niche vehicle; GM financially supports both the Camaro AND the Corvette (one model of which is a better performer than 99% of production cars in the world). Put any Mustang up against even *just* a Grand Sport 'Vette and get back to me..........

Sorry for the little rant...but I wish people wouldn't be so quick to draw such wild conclusions out of thin-air, sometimes....

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing....just wait a little bit longer for the ZL1 to put down some numbers...I think MANY will be (or should be) blown away...

SSmoked 02-27-2011 01:32 PM

I know all are asking for a "track" camaro. But the ZL1 has the whole package. Its got big power, aerodynamics, cooling, and suspension to boot. Its the ultimate camaro.

We wont see a Z28 until there is a lighter chasis to use, aka the gen 6 camaro.

thePill 02-27-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 2894210)

A littlemore than a GT? I thought the sticker was $41,000 and up from there. Still not a bad deal, though. And as mentioned around other threads, very few looking at an M3 are cross shopping Mustangs or Camaros for that matter. Ford invented the Pony car segment. But I would also suggest that a low volume Boss doesn't make the Mustang a better car. It simply means they have a more focussed model available that most people aren't going to buy.

I paid $36.8k for my Brembo, 401a GT...

Quote:

It simply means they have a more focussed model available that most people aren't going to buy.
The Boss's are gone, Most of us who had money in hand were too late..