Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How to fix your polished aluminum wheels..........lots of pics!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307359)

Aubrey64 07-16-2013 12:52 AM

Wow, you did a great job! I have curb rash on mine that was caused by the previous owner:frusty: I would love to try this, but don't know if I'd have the guts to

CHMSC 07-16-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubrey64 (Post 6782957)
Wow, you did a great job! I have curb rash on mine that was caused by the previous owner:frusty: I would love to try this, but don't know if I'd have the guts to

Thank you!

I was hesitant at first as well but figured what the hell. Like I said worst case if it doesn't come out good take it to a wheel repair guy.

christianmotox 07-16-2013 01:41 AM

Wow, what damage? They look great

CHMSC 07-16-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianmotox (Post 6783020)
Wow, what damage? They look great

Ha ha thanks man. Crappy phone can't get the bad spots. It really is hard to see the areas that are not perfect even in person. Like I said with more time you could get them perfect or darn close.

Caddyroger 07-16-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6782929)
Those pics lol

I was just saving some spots for pics man. Now you can check it out.

Ok. You did a very good job of repairing your wheels. They do not even look like they where damaged.

Casperadub70 07-16-2013 03:05 AM

What curb rash? Great job

Glen e 07-16-2013 05:00 AM

Nice job..I've used a dremel before too and wheels respond pretty well as they are soft. More should try this, nothing to lose...you really can't make it worse!

Eich 07-16-2013 07:16 AM

Looks great. I have a wheel that needs a little attention. I wonder how difficult it will be to do with the tire on?

The polished wheels have a clear coat on them, right? I wonder what's going to happen in the areas where you ground, sanded and polished the clear coat off?

marine_142 07-16-2013 08:41 AM

I thought the RS wheels were painted?

http://www.camaro5.com/piant-code-for-the-rs-wheels/

I had some small road rash (previous owner) and tried to sand it down such as what the OP did. It appeared the wheel was made of clear coat, midnight silver paint, dark primer, alumimum.

just wondering if this is same same.

CHMSC 07-16-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddyroger (Post 6783048)
Ok. You did a very good job of repairing your wheels. They do not even look like they where damaged.

:thanks:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casperadub70 (Post 6783080)
What curb rash? Great job

:thanks:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 6783152)
Nice job..I've used a dremel before too and wheels respond pretty well as they are soft. More should try this, nothing to lose...you really can't make it worse!

:thanks: ya more people should try it. Especially with the polish wheels or even MS wheels with light scratches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eich (Post 6783323)
Looks great. I have a wheel that needs a little attention. I wonder how difficult it will be to do with the tire on?

The polished wheels have a clear coat on them, right? I wonder what's going to happen in the areas where you ground, sanded and polished the clear coat off?

post a pic of your damage. It depends on where the damage is and how bad it is. I was surprised how much I was able to remove scratches without going through the clear coat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marine_142 (Post 6783568)
I thought the RS wheels were painted?

http://www.camaro5.com/piant-code-for-the-rs-wheels/

I had some small road rash (previous owner) and tried to sand it down such as what the OP did. It appeared the wheel was made of clear coat, midnight silver paint, dark primer, alumimum.

just wondering if this is same same.

My car is an RS but I added the polished aluminum wheels, so I do not have the midnight silver wheels. Yes the MS wheels are not just clear coat so there is a lot more work involved. You would have to get primer and the paint and clear coat to fix them properly.

Eich 07-16-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6784901)
:
post a pic of your damage. It depends on where the damage is and how bad it is. I was surprised how much I was able to remove scratches without going through the clear coat.

If you're grinding with a stone dremel tool, I think you're through the clear coat before you start. But maybe it doesn't matter that much on the edges of the wheel.

I have some damage similar to what you show in your first picture but not all the way around the wheel.

Huero30 07-16-2013 04:00 PM

ive been wanting to do them but dont want to mess them up even more. great job!

CHMSC 07-16-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huero30 (Post 6785168)
ive been wanting to do them but dont want to mess them up even more. great job!

Thank you. Well I really couldn't mess mine up anymore than they already were lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eich (Post 6785121)
If you're grinding with a stone dremel tool, I think you're through the clear coat before you start. But maybe it doesn't matter that much on the edges of the wheel.

I have some damage similar to what you show in your first picture but not all the way around the wheel.

Oh ya you are definitely going through the clear coat when you are grinding man. Some places you can see the difference but barley. Like I said the best way would be to strip the clear coat off the wheel and re clear the whole wheel. I just didn't have the time to do it. I have another one I am going to strip and fix, so I will see how that one comes out.

WiSSDiver 07-23-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6786544)
Oh ya you are definitely going through the clear coat when you are grinding man. Some places you can see the difference but barley. Like I said the best way would be to strip the clear coat off the wheel and re clear the whole wheel. I just didn't have the time to do it. I have another one I am going to strip and fix, so I will see how that one comes out.

I'll add that with the scrapes on the rim to start, you're already through the clear anyway.

I did the exact same fix to my rear rim this weekend and it's much better than just leaving it look like a cheese grater. Great save!