Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Top being replaced for almost three weeks now? Need advice! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288662)

xcarolina23 04-11-2013 11:24 AM

Top being replaced for almost three weeks now? Need advice!

So I finally decide to go into the dealership to have my top replaced due to scuffs and partial tears. The service rep first tells me there is nothing they can do, and that this is caused by putting the top down when the car is wet. Since it is my car and I know that's not the cause I was skeptical from the beginning. The service rep calls me back later and says the TSB was done wrong and that he got me a new top from Chevy, great right?

I took the car in over two and a half weeks ago and he said it would take them about three days. I'm not really pushy so I waited a little longer and then started calling more repeatedly. I literally have heard "your car should be done today or tomorrow" over five times at this point. To make matters worse when the car isn't done I can't even get a call back. I have not been contacted one time in the past three weeks with an update unless I have called first.

There is a difference between bad customer service, and non-existent customer service. This is by far the worst service experience I have ever received in my life. I have heard everything from they are stretching the top out now, to they had to order new hooks for the new top.

Has anyone experienced something similar and what are my options at this point? I still do not have the car back. I am a younger guy and this is the first nice car I have ever bought. I am not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Michael Rophone 04-11-2013 11:35 AM

Shady, shady, shady.

Steve, I hesitate to toss gas on the fire, but I hope you logged your mileage when you dropped your car off at the dealer.

A lady here and on Facebook had her car returned after a couple of weeks "in service" and it had more than 700 additional miles on it.

I kid you not. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

If I were you, I'd pay the Service Department an impromptu visit.
You have every right to see your car.
Make sure it hasn't been driven on some guy's vacation or has been in an accident.

:eyebulge:

Michael Rophone 04-11-2013 11:47 AM

Post Script for all...

Steve, if I had a Camaro like yours, I'd invest in a ($275) GPS Tracking/Mapping device and hide it deep inside the dash whenever I took such a car in for "service"...

I bought one a couple of years ago. They work great...just ask my teenage son. :rolleyes:

There's only one problem.
You'll most likely not be happy when you download and view the data on your computer. :fear:

'11 cyber grey vert 04-11-2013 12:21 PM

firstly,
you need to find a reputable dealer with convertible top experience.The cause they gave you which you probably know, "you put your top down wet" , is complete b.s.

I have had all the problems with my car, broken 5th bow, then water management bag failure and now top replacement.In total , I was out approx. 3-4 weeks in total, so about 1 week at a time for the repair...ie monday to friday, sometimes got my car back on the friday and if not was usually the monday.The longest repair I had to wait for was the water management bag due to the fact the dealer had to pinpoint the problem, then order parts and had to wait for the car to properly dry out, which took a couple of extra days.

If the dealer is giving you the run around...get over there,voice your concerns with the service manager and the general manager.Be assertive and polite but not a jack@$$.Just get to the bottom of it and make sure they did not take it for a joy ride or smash it up.

xcarolina23 04-11-2013 12:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. To be honest I never thought about stopping by to see the car in the past two and a half weeks. Partly because I was nervous to ruffle their feathers until after my car was completely finished. I figure if I piss them off they will just half ass the rest of the job.

This could get interesting :confused:

'11 cyber grey vert 04-11-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcarolina23 (Post 6411577)
Thanks for the advice. To be honest I never thought about stopping by to see the car in the past two and a half weeks. Partly because I was nervous to ruffle their feathers until after my car was completely finished. I figure if I piss them off they will just half ass the rest of the job.

This could get interesting :confused:

That is why I had said be assertive to get the answers you seek but at the same time be polite as to not piss them off...unless of coarse they did something stupid like take your car for a joyride or smashed it up... then it's okay to go ballistic on them.

95birdible 04-11-2013 02:06 PM

Exactly the same line of bullshit they fed me on my first car. Put down top wet. When I was finally approved for my buyback and had Jack Pantaleo on the phone with the service manager, I told him, top down wet? Don't think so, I was right and you were wrong. Some of these dealerships have worse customer service than a dog turd in a dog park.

classicrockr 04-11-2013 02:14 PM

"It was caused by putting the top down when it's wet" =
We don't know what the hell to do to fix your top"

I had a dealership recently take 3 weeks - they didn't drive it any extra, but they just didn't know how the hell to install it. After I picked it up, the frame arms were showing on the inside over the driver & passenger front windows. When I'd put the top down, you could see straps hanging all over the place.

On my receipt, they put "Customer must manually adjust straps when raising/lowering the top".

So I took it to a different dealer in town - on the write up, they said "top was installed incorrectly". and then they sent it to a local top shop. In 3 days I had it back & everything worked correctly.

I'm telling you, that dealership is just sitting on it because they don't know what the hell to do.

xcarolina23 04-11-2013 02:19 PM

That is what I think as well. I will let you guys know how it turns out. They said it should be done today or tomorrow....... I don't know what I am going to do if I hear that again and it falls through

95birdible 04-11-2013 02:29 PM

On the plus side days out of service being fixed can and will be applied should you go the lemon law route. Good luck and keep us posted.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-11-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcarolina23 (Post 6411236)
So I finally decide to go into the dealership to have my top replaced due to scuffs and partial tears. The service rep first tells me there is nothing they can do, and that this is caused by putting the top down when the car is wet. Since it is my car and I know that's not the cause I was skeptical from the beginning. The service rep calls me back later and says the TSB was done wrong and that he got me a new top from Chevy, great right?

I took the car in over two and a half weeks ago and he said it would take them about three days. I'm not really pushy so I waited a little longer and then started calling more repeatedly. I literally have heard "your car should be done today or tomorrow" over five times at this point. To make matters worse when the car isn't done I can't even get a call back. I have not been contacted one time in the past three weeks with an update unless I have called first.

There is a difference between bad customer service, and non-existent customer service. This is by far the worst service experience I have ever received in my life. I have heard everything from they are stretching the top out now, to they had to order new hooks for the new top.

Has anyone experienced something similar and what are my options at this point? I still do not have the car back. I am a younger guy and this is the first nice car I have ever bought. I am not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Hello xcarolina23,

I would like to apologize for the difficulties you’ve been experiencing in regards to your vehicle and the service received from your dealer. I would definitely like the opportunity to look into this matter for you. If you would private message me your VIN # and mileage along with your full name and phone contact and address, I will investigate further. Also, I will need your dealer’s information, that being, name, address and phone contact number.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care.

Michael Rophone 04-11-2013 09:24 PM

A favor...

Steve, when you get your car back, compare the "starting mileage" on your Work Order and what your odometer reads.

Please do it for my curiosity. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Michael Rophone 04-11-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95birdible (Post 6411865)
Exactly the same line of bullshit they fed me on my first car. Put down top wet...

"Rode hard and put away wet" only applies to horses. :twitch:

Michael Rophone 04-11-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert (Post 6411671)
...be polite as to not piss them off...

Wow, as customers, we are so conditioned that we have to walk on eggshells and diligently work at not pissing off car mechanics.

After a hidden microphone recorded a GM mechanic's Camaro abusive joy-ride and was posted on YouTube...and then a customer gets her car back with 770 miles added to her odometer, you'll never convince me that a car in for service at a dealership FOR THREE WEEKS OR MORE is just sitting there safe and secure inside.

Another example...many years ago, I dropped my Corvette off for a simple state inspection and walked a couple of blocks to have lunch. As I finished eating, two mechanics pulled into the parking lot in my car to pick up lunch orders!

When I went outside to say hello, they nervously said, "A test drive is a necessary part of the inspection process." They had no answer when I pointed to the new inspection stickers that they had already put on the car.

IMHO, without an honest (and skilled) Service Department, it isn't worth buying an expensive sports car. :rant: