Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   BEWARE..drop kit + wide wheels may = damaged EBrake line?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54066)

FEN 11-27-2009 06:02 PM

BEWARE..drop kit + wide wheels may = damaged EBrake line??

Just a heads up to those of you installing drop kits and wider rear wheels.....

Just had my 2SS lowered this week w/ 1" springs.Looks great & no problems. Installed my wider wheels and noticed that the Ebrake lines were very close to the rim on the driver side....pass side had almost 3/4" clearance. The Ebrake line was able to be pushed inwards a little but durring driving it crept back against the wheel causing minor wear to the wheel and wore thru the protective rubber Ebrake insulator....down to the braided wire. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to put on a lift to see what adjustments can be made to remove the excess length of Ebrake cable on the driver side.

Thought you guys/gals might just want to check this area before enjoying your new wheels and drop kit.

robertway 11-27-2009 09:56 PM

Thanks FEN, my CCW 505a's are due to arrive this coming Tuesday with 315's on the rear so I will look out for this. Wondering if this is the first this has happened or you are the first to notice it.

Indpowr 11-27-2009 10:03 PM

Give more details on your rim and tire sizes. I have had no issues thus far with 2k miles.

FEN 11-28-2009 06:36 AM

Rear wheels are 11.5x20 w/305/35

Its not a wheel or tire issue.As stated previously the pass side has alot of clearance.I think its just a matter of getting the car on a lift and moving the cable in a way that it cannot crep back.Im heading out in a few minutes to the dealer to see what can be done.

Just thought it would be a good idea for others to check this before they start hearing the terrible sound of the braided cable rubbing against a wheel....usually when cornering.

FEN 11-28-2009 04:11 PM

OK...dealer put car on lift and the Ebrake cables had quite a bit extra length.....started at front and began pulling cable thru mounts until both sides were over 1.5 inches away from wheels and allowing enough for wheel travel. To insure that the cable never creeps closer to wheels the service tech cut a piece of fuel line with same ID as the OD of Ebrake cable & slid it around the cable just behind the first mounting location (white bushing) and then installed a hose clamp around it.Looks fine and should work perfect to ensure cable does not move any closer to the wheels.

g-townmach 11-29-2009 06:07 PM

just pull some slack through the loops towards the rear of the car, and wire-tie that sucker out of the way

JusticePete 12-02-2009 12:24 PM

It is a big cable so be sure to use large / HD cable ties. Aside from just rubbing against the wheel, others have had issues with the inner barrel mounted TPM. This second valve stem can actually break and cause air loss with e-brake cable interference.

2010_5thgen 12-03-2009 11:34 AM

i had this problem with mine when i had the pedders Xa's installes. they just tied it up out of the way and its fine.

robertway 12-03-2009 01:50 PM

I put my 20x11.5 CCWs on last night (same ones FEN has) and here is a shot of the clearance the ebrake cable has on both rears, I can get my pinky between the cable and the edge of the rim, I'll still be pulling it a little further away just to be safe;

http://gallery.me.com/robertandlisaw...12598059740001

JusticePete 12-03-2009 04:09 PM

Spot on!

2010_5thgen 12-03-2009 06:23 PM

pet , im assuming you have the stainless steel brake lines on your camaro? and you have hte stock calipers still right? how much better is the braking now? i ordered the lines from backstreet performance and id like to get a set of light weight slotted rotors also.

FEN 12-03-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertway (Post 1243318)
I put my 20x11.5 CCWs on last night (same ones FEN has) and here is a shot of the clearance the ebrake cable has on both rears, I can get my pinky between the cable and the edge of the rim, I'll still be pulling it a little further away just to be safe;

http://gallery.me.com/robertandlisaw...12598059740001

I think the 1" drop was the straw that broke the camels back in my case. The dealers fix has worked perfect so far.

JusticePete 12-03-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 1244436)
pet , im assuming you have the stainless steel brake lines on your camaro? and you have hte stock calipers still right? how much better is the braking now? i ordered the lines from backstreet performance and id like to get a set of light weight slotted rotors also.

I won't say there is a huge difference. They do feel sharper, a bit firmer. The reason I use SS lines is margin of safety under extreme load / use / abuse I heap on a car -- my best friends are my brakes. That little bit might be all I need. So SS lines are mandatory on all my cars.

6liter 12-04-2009 07:36 AM

d@mn it!! just checked my car and sure enough i see the hit marks.