Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Possible New Gauge Pod Option Pics - Looking For Feedback (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37762)

Mike Norris 08-17-2009 06:46 AM

Possible New Gauge Pod Option Pics - Looking For Feedback

3 Attachment(s)
Hey All,

I have a shop I work closely with that we are building a Twin Turbo setup for and they have come up with a gauge mounting option. It immitates the factory speedo and tach cluster in a small version.

Let me know what you think both good and bad. Thanks.

Mike Norris

ZZcamaro 08-17-2009 06:53 AM

It is a good thought....but why is everybody afraid of working with the 4 pack of gauges that is already there? Replace the volt-meter with a boost gauge and you will sell a bunch!

rickerda 08-17-2009 06:57 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but it reminds me of the Geico money 'eyes', just a first impression. Please keep us posted

Mindz 08-17-2009 07:07 AM

Is that spot normally used for something? What are we losing by placing the gauges there. If that is the spot for the gauges, I would love to have something that's stealth. Push the front of it and the pod comes up like a cd tray.

The pod itself looks like it matches the dash and will be well constructed, but kinda looks out of place because the shape doesn't flow.

LSX-80MM 08-17-2009 07:38 AM

I think it's fine just needs to be angled towards the driver,or at least design it so that the gauges will be,And as for replacing the factory Quad gauges down low is NOT a good idea,If your gonna be running any kind of power adder it needs to be monitored at eye level,I'm getting ready to do a Turbo setup myself,So I would definately be interested in one.............:thumbsup:

Crowley 08-17-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZcamaro (Post 807207)
It is a good thought....but why is everybody afraid of working with the 4 pack of gauges that is already there? Replace the volt-meter with a boost gauge and you will sell a bunch!

I think the problem is location ... for something like boost it would be nice to be able to see this without taking your eyes off the road.

Crowley

Crowley 08-17-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 807223)
Is that spot normally used for something? What are we losing by placing the gauges there. If that is the spot for the gauges, I would love to have something that's stealth. Push the front of it and the pod comes up like a cd tray.

The pod itself looks like it matches the dash and will be well constructed, but kinda looks out of place because the shape doesn't flow.

I think that is a center speaker location .. I could be wrong though ..

Crowley

vsgls1 08-17-2009 07:59 AM

Not everyone has the 4 gauge pods.

Kilo-9 08-17-2009 03:05 PM

The pod looks good...like others, I'm concerned with the mounting location. Something in the driver's line-of-sight would be perfect.

Rikarus 08-17-2009 05:48 PM

Looks good but the pod looks upside down in contrast to the main dash cluster.

Rounki 08-17-2009 05:57 PM

Johnny 5! haha... anyways, doesn't look that bad at all. And seeing that it's pretty far back in the dash, close to windshield, your eyes wouldn't be taken off the road that much.

GTAHVIT 08-17-2009 09:19 PM

I'm not so sure I like it covering the center speaker....

I'd rather have it centered on the wheel somewhere...

But I'm thinking it's a nice option... I'd like to see guages in it...

:headbang:

Jferrell88 08-17-2009 09:35 PM

i like it i think it could be blended in a lot better in a more subtle way but my concern would be visibility, i dont think i can spare any more loss when it comes to windshield space, its cool though good job

hamidar05 08-17-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKnBLK (Post 807259)
I think it's fine just needs to be angled towards the driver,or at least design it so that the gauges will be,And as for replacing the factory Quad gauges down low is NOT a good idea,If your gonna be running any kind of power adder it needs to be monitored at eye level,I'm getting ready to do a Turbo setup myself,So I would definately be interested in one.............:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley (Post 807290)
I think the problem is location ... for something like boost it would be nice to be able to see this without taking your eyes off the road.

Crowley

Exactly why I don't like the rally gauges.. on the center console, how can you see those? Go for it! I was thinking heads up display is possible, but have not looked into it much yet. :w00t: