Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Are You Guys Ready To Trade In For The New Z/28 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285434)

CrystalRedTintcoat 04-06-2013 08:55 AM

If it actually had a radio I'd consider it. It's odd to me that the radio weighed so much it had to be eliminated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LS1hawk 04-06-2013 09:11 AM

It's not the type of purchase many will be trading in for. It's more like adding another to the stable type of purchase. Most current owners' Camaros serve a different purpose than what this new Z/28 has to offer.

2010SLVRBULIT 04-06-2013 09:22 AM

Not @ that price. Rather get a ZL1, gut it and it'll go faster than the Z28. That's what the original bare bones ZL1 were baby!

gmg69 04-06-2013 12:05 PM

No... and what were they thinking with those taillights? Oh, I know... "let's make it look cheap and like everything else."

I'll take the LS7 though, anyday.

JR3 04-08-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuskSS (Post 6344413)
nope wont pay a premium price for a gutted car with no options other than race pedigree.

That seems to be the biggest complaint about the car.

JR3 04-08-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmg69 (Post 6390269)
No... and what were they thinking with those taillights? Oh, I know... "let's make it look cheap and like everything else."

I'll take the LS7 though, anyday.

That seems to be the 2nd biggest complaint about the car.

sho928 04-08-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat (Post 6389668)
If it actually had a radio I'd consider it. It's odd to me that the radio weighed so much it had to be eliminated.

I hope everyone understands that the weight saving is not the radio it's self but the 9-speakers with 20oz magnets + the sub amp (10lbs +/-)

If I wanted to hear music, I would drop down a few gears to make the LS7 sing.

360ss 04-08-2013 07:19 AM

Ls7 sing

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho928 (Post 6397134)
I hope everyone understands that the weight saving is not the radio it's self but the 9-speakers with 20oz magnets + the sub amp (10lbs +/-)

Dammit boy!!^^^

*007 04-08-2013 09:29 AM

Obviously if you put 305's and lighter rims of the Z/28 on the ZL1, (and maybe those brakes) what might happen to that 3 seconds? The lower splitter on the front of the /28, other stripped out items (radio, soundproofing, etc) won't make it or it's driver happy on the street. It is my belief the ZL1 still maintains the advantage over the Z/28 that the ZR1 has over the Z/28 if you added just a couple of mods to the ZL1. Advantages the Z/28 just wouldn't be able to overcome. Future ZL1's should have the better rotors and rim options and recaro's (nobody has mentioned that the recaros' are part of the 3 seconds due to driver control added).

The ZL1 remains the Most Street Capable Camaro Ever. Likely capable on the track as well with just a few mods mentioned above. Close enough anyway.

gm_joe 04-08-2013 09:42 AM

Will not trade my ZL-1 for a Z/28. I think the Z/28 has filled the shoes of its older brother well, but I love to cruise and I feel the Z/28 will not fill that shoe like the ZL-1.

OldScoolCamaro 04-08-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

....exactly, and BTW it plays our favorite song...

"1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3" by The LS7

:biggrin:

GoldenBear 04-08-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm_joe (Post 6397671)
Will not trade my ZL-1 for a Z/28. I think the Z/28 has filled the shoes of its older brother well, but I love to cruise and I feel the Z/28 will not fill that shoe like the ZL-1.

I doubt that there will be many ZL1 owners who will trade their ZL1 for a new Z/28, but I think that there will be some who will add a new Z/28 to their stable.

I see the new Z/28 and ZL1 as two vehicles with different purposes. It's clear to me that the Z/28 is designed with one main focus and that is to be a track oriented car, and it has equipment that is appropriate for track focused use (CC brakes, high revving N/A engine, reduced weight, etc.) which also dictates the associated compromises that make it less suitable for everyday street use (no stereo, no magnetic ride, lack of sound deadening material, no trunk carpeting, no jack, etc.), and it is not recommended for drag racing (the new Z/28 doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1). The ZL1, on the other hand, is designed to be an all around high performance vehicle which will perform well at the track and as a comfortable everyday driver right off of the showroom floor, and it can be relatively easily modified to add horsepower to perform very well at the drag strip.

It seems to me that the ZL1 and the Z/28 each have their place in the Camaro lineup, and there is not much reason based on their intended applications to make an either or choice between the two.

Iron Lung Jimmy 04-08-2013 02:45 PM

I'm going to put Z/28 badges on my SS and call it a day. :headbang:

:sm0:

jimmy5 04-09-2013 04:57 AM

I thought about it, because I thought the z28 was going to be less than the ZL1, but after seeing it's supposed to be MORE, with a lot less features, and not to mention I hate the new styling, there is no way. Keeping my ZL1 and going to love it even more.

360ss 04-10-2013 09:42 AM

Z/28 and zl1

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenBear (Post 6398395)
I doubt that there will be many ZL1 owners who will trade their ZL1 for a new Z/28, but I think that there will be some who will add a new Z/28 to their stable.

I see the new Z/28 and ZL1 as two vehicles with different purposes. It's clear to me that the Z/28 is designed with one main focus and that is to be a track oriented car, and it has equipment that is appropriate for track focused use (CC brakes, high revving N/A engine, reduced weight, etc.) which also dictates the associated compromises that make it less suitable for everyday street use (no stereo, no magnetic ride, lack of sound deadening material, no trunk carpeting, no jack, etc.), and it is not recommended for drag racing (the new Z/28 doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1). The ZL1, on the other hand, is designed to be an all around high performance vehicle which will perform well at the track and as a comfortable everyday driver right off of the showroom floor, and it can be relatively easily modified to add horsepower to perform very well at the drag strip.

It seems to me that the ZL1 and the Z/28 each have their place in the Camaro lineup, and there is not much reason based on their intended applications to make an either or choice between the two.

I belive this is one of the best comparison comments I've read on the forum . Didn't discredit either car . Much respect to both vehicles

Z4me 04-10-2013 12:00 PM

GoldenBear has always been very informative on these forums and very unbiased.
As far as trading in my ZL1 for a Z28, nope its a keeper in my book, and its wife approved :biggrin:.
Now if the Z28 came as a convertible, I would be tempted to get a second camaro.

Renegade 04-18-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

You can always buy a radio. :thumb:

Likarok 05-01-2013 03:39 PM

With those ugly tail lights? Are you kidding?

mlee 05-01-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 6439036)
You can always buy a radio. :thumb:

THERE IS A RADIO IN THIS CAR FOLKS it just has one speaker which is good enough for me.

...sorry had to get that off my chest. Everyone keeps saying no radio...:doh:

Quote:

^^^^^ This

Wizard1183 05-01-2013 04:55 PM

I'm ready to trade mine and pay just $25k more lol I think they price it around $40k so 80% of us can obtain one. Lmao!

rock1962 05-04-2013 07:59 AM

I would trade in a heartbeat if I could afford the 68000 dollar price.

Skylane765 05-04-2013 12:12 PM

I am # 3 on the list for one, I will keep the ZL1 I rather have the ZL1 over the Z28

GM blew it maling the tail lights like that. They look like all the other cars out there. The tail lights where what make the Camaro different.

Fenderaddict2 05-04-2013 08:48 PM

Not ready. And no way am I trading the Boss, but I have thought of putting the '65 on the block. My short list is quite odd and includes a '13 Boss, a 13 or 14 Vette, the Z/28, a 2009 or newer 911 4s Targa and sadly -- only in my dreams at this point -- a used Aston Martin DB9. Passed on one that was literally a steal last year (65k!?!?) right after I put the Mustangs away and will probably be kicking myself forever.

Fenderaddict2 05-04-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenBear (Post 6398395)

Well said.

Kluch 05-04-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylane765 (Post 6504223)
I am # 3 on the list for one, I will keep the ZL1 I rather have the ZL1 over the Z28

GM blew it maling the tail lights like that. They look like all the other cars out there. The tail lights where what make the Camaro different.

Yup. Just the taillights...:)