Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   [COTW 4/11/10]: ITMERC's Hennessy HPE800 Project (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40903)

ITMerc 09-04-2009 06:27 PM

[COTW 4/11/10]: ITMERC's Hennessy HPE800 Project

Featured COTW on Homepage.

Hi Folks,
I've been holding off on starting this till we got close to finishing the main part of the build and now seems like the right time to kick off the thread! :)

I've been working with Hennessy to build a special 'built' block HPE650 with my Cyber Grey 2010 SS with all the normal stuff they put on their HPE650 PLUS: a forged/balanced/lowered compression/coated internals stroked 415 CID block, twin disk clutch, full Pedders Track Extreme suspension kit, Baer Extreme Plus 6 piston brake kit, 20" HRE P43 Monobloks... and too many tech details to go into. :) Its being badged a 650 primarily because their 700 is an LS9 and the 800 is a twin turbo! Heh!

They got 592wheel hp on 91 octane out of a 'normal' HPE650 they did for a guy in Cali so I'm REEEEEEALY looking forward to seeing and reporting to you all what they get out out my 'built' forged motor next week on the 93 Octane we have here in TX. The motor is done and everything is installed but they need to work out an issue with the clutch and settle on how much boost they will be running before I get final numbers but its reasonable to assume it'll be significantly more then a 'normal' HPE650 since I went with a seriously 'built' motor specifically designed to safely run more boost and handle more power. :)

I did my homework before choosing Hennessy so hold the bashing... They're 100% clean with the BBB for the previous 3 years which is as far back as they keep records for, they're local to me, their shop is big/well set up and BUSY, and to date they've been very professional so I look forward to reporting all the details as this part of the build nears completion.

Pics, dyno graphs and details to follow!

For anyone who's interested I also have a Porsche Project I've been working on and the thread to that ongoing though basically finished bit of fun is posted at the link below:

http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...onversion.html

Bbrock25 09-04-2009 06:44 PM

Sick. Looking forward for a dyno graph, and VIDS (I hope plz :D)

tones2SS 09-04-2009 06:52 PM

You had me at: [QUOTE=ITMerc;886021]I've been working with Hennessy to build a special 'built' block HPE650 with my Cyber Grey 2010 SS with all the normal stuff they put on their HPE650 PLUS: a forged/balanced/lowered compression/coated internals stroked 415 CID block, twin disk clutch, full Pedders Track Extreme suspension kit, Baer Extreme Plus 6 piston brake kit, 20" HRE P43 Monobloks... and too many tech details to go into. :) Its being badged a 650 primarily because their 700 is an LS9 and the 800 is a twin turbo! Heh!QUOTE]

:confused0068:LOL!! Sounds very nice man. :thumbsup: You should be able to pull a couple more horses with the higher octane. What tubo are you running and how much boost will you be running?

ITMerc 09-05-2009 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=
:confused0068:LOL!! Sounds very nice man. :thumbsup: You should be able to pull a couple more horses with the higher octane. What tubo are you running and how much boost will you be running?[/QUOTE]

They have it all installed and running but are having a problem with the new twin disk clutch that they hope to clear up after the holiday weekend.

Hennessy convinced me that the Magnusson TVS2300 supercharger is the way to go on the LS3 but they're still discussing how much boost my 'built' block can reasonably run and still allow them to provide the 3 year warranty. Since I went with the fully 'built' motor stroked to 415CID with all forged/balanced/Polydyn coated internals and upgraded main caps/head studs etc (on top of the stuff included in their 'normal' HPE650) its reasonable to expect that this motor will safely put out a nice large chunk more Hp/Tq than the 592 wheel Hp they got out of the 'normal' HPE650 at 8PSI with OEM internals they have posted elsewhere in this forum that was set up for California on only 91 Octane. (93 is readily available here in TX) I'd guess that with the increased displacement and lowered compression that they'll have to run at least 10PSI, though this built motor should safely handle more than that. (Why bother with a 'forged' motor if it won't!)

Before I pulled the trigger on this project I visited their facility a couple of times and John Hennessy took me for a ride down the drag strip out back. One in their red HPE550 Camaro and a wild ride in their yellow 700+Hp ZR7 Vette. VERY nice!

I had considered doing a single turbo build with Fastlane here in Houston and Nick is a great guy with a nice shop and lots of forced induction experience so it was a hard choice. The pricing was roughly similar for my 'built' block project at either shop so in the end it was the 3 year warranty and the Hennessy name and resources that swayed my decision.

ITMerc 09-05-2009 11:43 AM

Diamond forged/dished pistons with Polydyn coating

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting color!

ITMerc 09-05-2009 11:48 AM

Heads

4 Attachment(s)
Polished combustion chamber, Ferrara hollow stem valves, Comp Cam springs/seats/retainers, Viton seals.

ITMerc 09-05-2009 11:53 AM

Bottom end

3 Attachment(s)
Forged, balanced, Polydyn coated. :)

Diamond forged dished pistons and wrist pins
Diamond rings
Compstar forged connecting rods
Callies forged stroker crank

4.065 bore, 9:1 compression ratio

tones2SS 09-05-2009 12:38 PM

Very nice. Sounds like a stout engine.:headbang:
I would have to agree with the customer service/3 year warranty, that is a pretty easy choice. Keep us posted.

Rickerbucks 04-06-2010 12:35 PM

any update on this ride?

PB3 04-06-2010 12:51 PM

Jeez, I can't wait to see the final product. I am not a motor head but it sure sounds like you know what you are doing. Awesome.

ITMerc 04-06-2010 01:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
Instead of continuing to wrangle with the unhappy TVS2300 Hennessey offered me a deal to upgrade to their first twin turbo HPE800... :thumbsup:

It looks like Hennessey has 2 similar threads on the 800 now:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=hennessey+800

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=hennessey+800

It looks like when we stroked AND lowered the compression of my LS3 the air demand of the motor was outside the 'sweet spot' operating range of the 2.3l Maggie so we either neeed to go to a higher volume supercharger OR just do twin turbos... Who can say no to TWINS! :drool:

We did some paint and a car show here in HOuston that stretched the build out a bit but we're hoping to have it 'finished' at the end of this week. I'm still looking into some interior work after I get the car back though that depends on scheduling of potential media coverage. Can't wait to drive it!!!

Here's a couple of shots showing the Seibon CF hood and trunk with the metallic black paint scheme I added... We put the OEM wheels on for the paint process so these don't show the HRE P43 Monoblocks I have on there now.

PB3 04-06-2010 01:27 PM

wow......really?
Your car is jaw dropping.

ITMerc 04-06-2010 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dyno sheet and video link:

YES, this build could make WAY more than 800 but 800 is what I was promised and they're over delivering. :bow: This on a very conservative tune and only 11psi of boost WITH a warranty on the motor.

PB3 04-06-2010 02:02 PM

Incredible. Your ride will forever haunt my dreams.