Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Tuning Software Help (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290005)

mercedestech 04-17-2013 08:22 PM

Tuning Software Help

Looking to buy tuning software, but not sure which product to go with. My LPE fuel pump came with EFI Live instructions for fixing the fuel level sender values, so I'm leaning towards that software. With the pure hell I have gone through trying to find a local tuner I can trust, I just want to have my own software so I can learn as much as I can about the tune that is in my car. I'm not really wanting to use my car to learn on ( by altering the tune) since it is such a large investment, but I would atleast like to be able to look at the tune that is in there and datalog to look for issues.

I just purchased Greg Banish's books to try and get a handle on all of this, and the next logical step is to buy the software so I can try and learn as much as possible about my tune. I am a Master Mercedes-Benz Technician and shop foreman by trade, and have had enough of relying on others to tune my car. All the work to my car has been done by me...except the tune. I think it's time to get a handle on the tuning side of things, even if my efforts just educate me on the how's and why's.

Just looking for input on which works better or is more user friendly. If anyone has a used V2 efi live package or hp tuners package, please let me know.

SSDan 04-18-2013 12:15 PM

Well I don't have tuning software and don't plan to go buy any. Thus I'll give you an opinion - not a recommendation. Go with the software you think you can leverage with any experts you'd like to dialogue with, have take a look at your data log - etc. For instance if you went with EFI Live you could bounce data, info back and forth with Mike at Vengeance ( IIRC you worked with Vengeance for your original tune ). Or maybe SCT since Ted at Jannetty's works with many people long distance. Or HP tuners if you know an expert there. Then over time you will learn and gain confidence to go it alone but until then it would be nice to have a relationship you could leverage.

FrankT 04-18-2013 05:03 PM

I have HP Tuners and EFI Live and have used both on different vehicles. My local tuners tend to lean more toward HP Tuners, but having used both systems I prefer EFI Live. For the E38 ECM's we are using I think it is better in many respects.

mercedestech 04-20-2013 04:03 PM

Any idea who has the best price on efi live? Seems like everyone is around the same price, and its a lot more than hp tuners.

Rhino79 04-20-2013 05:22 PM

I use both and prefer efilive.

mercedestech 04-20-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino79 (Post 6447575)
I use both and prefer efilive.

Where did you purchase yours, and how did you go about learning to use it?

bill@hptuners 04-25-2013 12:17 PM

HP Tuners is the only one to offer a 2.5 bar custom operating system for these pcm's and delivers in at a much better price at only $649 vs $800+ for efilive, not to mention the cost of their single vcm licenses is 25% more expensive than ours meaning if you start tuning multiple vehicles their costs add up quick.

For boosted Camaro applications the HP Tuners package is going to be a better bet IMO.

FrankT 04-25-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill@hptuners (Post 6468336)
HP Tuners is the only one to offer a 2.5 bar custom operating system for these pcm's and delivers in at a much better price at only $649 vs $800+ for efilive, not to mention the cost of their single vcm licenses is 25% more expensive than ours meaning if you start tuning multiple vehicles their costs add up quick.

For boosted Camaro applications the HP Tuners package is going to be a better bet IMO.

Bill, I thought that was only for the E40 ECM's. Also, it only does speed density, right?

mercedestech 04-25-2013 08:39 PM

Just a few questions. Being that my stock tune was read out by an EFI Live autocal, can hptuners somehow convert this file? I guess I could relaod the stock tune using the autocal, then use HP tuners to read the file from the car so that I have my stock tune in hptuners format. Not sure if that would actually work or not??

Also being that my car was last tuned using efi live, could I just read the current file from the car using hptuners so that I can try and alter the areas that are giving me issues? Or would I have to start all over with the stock tune?

Lastly, does anyone know if hptuners has the correct tables to correct the fuel level sender issues when using a LPE dual pump setup? The LPE instructions come with screen shots of tables in efi live to change to make the fuel gauge work correctly, but nothing for hp tuners.

bill@hptuners 04-25-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankT (Post 6468963)
Bill, I thought that was only for the E40 ECM's. Also, it only does speed density, right?

No we've offered it for E38's for quite some time now as well as a handful of E67 operating systems.

For E38/E67 it can be used for speed density only or maf based.

mercedestech 04-27-2013 10:30 PM

Bill, thanks for answering all of my PM's. Will be picking up HP tuners in the morning from Summit Racing. Going with the pro version so I can incorporate my wideband in the tuning process, and do logs without the laptop. Can't wait to dig in. Also a huge thank you to Rhino79 for also putting up with my endless string of questioning.

Motion427 04-28-2013 04:24 PM

I've been using HP Tuners for quite a few years now.Very happy with the software.
I also have the EFILive demo that I take a look at it once in a while.
IMO both are great.
I also have the SCT Pro Racer, I'm still learning on that one.......

mercedestech 05-01-2013 08:53 PM

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I purchased HP tuners pro on Monday, and just got around to installing the software. ALOT different than the tunercats program I used with my 94 LT1! I feel a STEEP learning curve coming on. If any of you guys have advice on how to get started, I'm all ears. I purchased two of Greg Banish's books, and have been reading the HP Tuners forums for the last two nights non stop. I'm not even going to attempt to change anything in the tune until I learn as much as I possibly can. So post up your recomendations on starting points, reference material etc.

Bornluckee13 05-03-2013 08:49 AM

Subscribed