Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   cost of GT 500 vs ZL1 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304986)

larietrope 06-30-2013 07:44 PM

cost of GT 500 vs ZL1

The local Ford Dealer has a base 2014 GT 500 Shelby for sticker of 55,595
USAA says I can get the car for 1,888 off that.
I ran the ZL1 and it came up more and G.M. hits you with the gas guzzler tax which Ford doesn't.
Anyway I can get competetive with the Ford on a ZL1 ?
I want a ZL1 but cost is also a factor.
Any light shed on this is apprecited.

jessrayo 06-30-2013 07:54 PM

How do you mean competitive? You should be able to get a ZL1 for around that in price. Maybe not the 1888 off. If you really are that concerned about cost I know you can one used for less than that because I did.

The Baron 06-30-2013 07:55 PM

You WONT GET a 2014 gt500 for under sticker.

bumblebeecamaro 06-30-2013 08:35 PM

the GT500 is cool, but in the end it's still just a Mustang. same thing could be said about a ZL1, it's still a Camaro. But there's something about a ZL1 that just says, "bad @ss"!

Mustangs are just.......... well, Mustangs.

RedCamaroZL1 06-30-2013 08:40 PM

I think you can find a new 2013 ZL1 and get it under sticker. And dollar for dollar, you get a more complete car with the ZL1. Base GT 500 doesn't have track pack of SVT package, both important for track use. Not to mention, non cool stereo head unit (that mattered to me), and I'd rather have the Recaro seats if I got the GT500. All those options push the gt500 between 64-67,000. Got my ZL1 for 56,000.

NobodyCrossesChuckNorris 06-30-2013 09:33 PM

Your a couple thousand bucks difference for a straight line mustang vs. an all around BA ZL1. The loaded 500 is nice but a base model vs. a ZL1 is an easy decision IMO. It is easier to add HP to a ZL1 Than make a balanced car from a base 500.

SamHouseIII 06-30-2013 10:00 PM

ZL1 accolades speak for themselves, compare reviews of the two and see who really wins.

mlee 06-30-2013 10:08 PM

That Gas Guzzler tax you speak of is already included in the ZL1 sticker price and if you want all the bells and whistles w/ the Shelby you're going to pay more. The ZL1 comes loaded.

ZL1 Spoked 06-30-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 6736807)
That Gas Guzzler tax you speak of is already included in the ZL1 sticker price and if you want all the bells and whistles w/ the Shelby you're going to pay more. The ZL1 comes loaded.

This. Fully Loaded ZL1 58000, Fully Loadet gt500 72000.

Vroom 07-01-2013 12:15 AM

Just a note, the USAA discount didn't apply to "specialty" cars like the ZL1 and GT500.

Mister Will 07-01-2013 10:30 AM

Could someone tell me how much of the GM card earnings can be used in a purchase of a ZL1?

Most of the reviews I've read simple state that the ZL1 is an engineering cycle ahead of the GT500. It's just a more syphisticated car. While the GT500 avoids a gas guxzzler tax. A quick calculation revealed it would take 14 years to spend the extra cost of the GT500 in gas.

Unfortunately the GT500 does beat the in all acceleration perameters, and at Laguna Seca (for one lap). But unless you are a dedicated track racer, so what? At these power levels it's subjective. The Zl1 just seems to be the better car.

revo1059 07-01-2013 11:33 AM

Also I had read (don't know if it's true) that to track the gt500 Ford recommends the track pack, but if you get the track pack Ford will not cover the car under warranty if you race it,whereas GM does cover the ZL1.

THR ZL1 #1 07-01-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Will (Post 6738092)
Could someone tell me how much of the GM card earnings can be used in a purchase of a ZL1?

Depends on "which" GM Card you have . . .

The "old card" which I have, there is $500 annual earnings up to 7 years of earnings in which 100% of what you have can be applied to any GM car or truck . .

Another card has no earnings cap, but has "allowances" per a specific car . . looks like the current allowance is $1,500 on Camaro . . cannot find any ZL1 exclusion.

hognutz 07-01-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larietrope (Post 6736239)
The local Ford Dealer has a base 2014 GT 500 Shelby for sticker of 55,595
USAA says I can get the car for 1,888 off that.
I ran the ZL1 and it came up more and G.M. hits you with the gas guzzler tax which Ford doesn't.
Anyway I can get competetive with the Ford on a ZL1 ?
I want a ZL1 but cost is also a factor.
Any light shed on this is apprecited.

I got my ZL1 at supplier price $55,500. You should if you shop be able to get a competitive price between a ZL1 manual and a base GT500.

If I paid supplier price last summer for a Zl1 the deals have to be better now that there ar 7500 or so more cars on the ground.

If you buy new the GG tax is always going to make the ZL1 a tad more money IMO than a base GT500. I mean the cars are the same base price and the ZL1 has $1300 tax added that the GT500 does not. I think resale will be better on the GT500 as well. GM is making more ZL1's than ford is GT500's

HDRDTD 07-01-2013 12:21 PM

The last statement I got regarding the GM savings I've accumulated on my GMcard indicated that even tho I had a good amount saved, it could not be applied to a ZL1.

But that's all right, I already have one!

Fiery re-Creation 07-01-2013 12:34 PM

They must price them different in the U.S. Up here in Canada to spec out an equivalent GT500 will run $10,000 more than the ZL1.

2012-1822 07-01-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiery re-Creation (Post 6738496)
They must price them different in the U.S. Up here in Canada to spec out an equivalent GT500 will run $10,000 more than the ZL1.

They don't price them different. Its the same. ZL1 already comes loaded, so yes you have to add all the goodies to the GT500.

Fiery re-Creation 07-01-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-1822 (Post 6738522)
They don't price them different. Its the same. ZL1 already comes loaded, so yes you have to add all the goodies to the GT500.

Ah, gotcha! :thumb:

Chubby 07-01-2013 01:57 PM

We just got a 14 GT500. SVT and Recaros are the only options. MSRP was $62,000. Dealer hit us for $1000 over. I've never driven a ZL1 but the Gt500 is bad ass. I owned a 2010 LS3.

Straight line... GT500 is faster.
Highway runs... GT500 is faster.
Track racing (auto cross)... Miata is faster around
Road course track... ZL1 is faster around.

The GT500 has piss poor brakes and too narrow tires to compete with the ZL1 on a road course. If you want a faster/quicker car in the street without modding, the GT500 is faster/quicker... marginally. They both make great power and you'll be happy either way.

Don't let the fan boy talk you down... A GT500 is not... just a mustang.

larietrope 07-01-2013 05:56 PM

follow up

I turned down the Mustang GT 500 after driving it. For one, too flashy, looked more like a hot wheels car than I liked. Too nose heavy. It drove okay but I could tell it just didn't feel as if I'd enjoy a long trip in it. Rode very stiff on all settings. Have to say it does have raw power in all gears.
So I am over that and back to searching for the right Camaro.

motorhead 07-01-2013 06:18 PM

If you pay the same price for a gt500 as a ZL1 then you are getting a stripped down Gt500 without the SVT package and SVT plus package which is standard on the ZL1. You have to pay around 62 to 65 to get a gt500 equipped like a basic ZL1

HPT BANDIT 07-01-2013 08:50 PM

Did you test drive a base model gt500? They don't come with adjustable shocks.

69NMYSS 07-02-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 (Post 6738366)
What are you planning to use the car for? Daily driver, weekend cruiser, track days, drag strip, etc.? Both cars are great daily drivers and unless you plan to spend a lot of time doing track events, the ZL1 magnetic ride is overkill and the SVT performance pack is unnecessary. Likewise the Recaros unless you just think they are cool.

I own both and can honestly say the GT500 is the more fun car to drive, overall, than my ZL1. Of course, hundreds will now post after me explaining all the reasons I am wrong in my opinion (like an opinion can even be wrong!), but it is my experience.

I have not driven a new gt500 but would probably agree it would be more fun. 662hp, tail happy, live axle.

littlecammi 07-02-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larietrope (Post 6736239)
The local Ford Dealer has a base 2014 GT500 Shelby.

But why would anyone want a base GT500? Everyone I know would definitely want the SVT and track packages (with the 2-position adjustable Bilstein shocks, Thorsen diff, oil+trans+diff coolers, etcetera). Add them and the optional Recaros and the cost of a GT500 is severa; thousands more than a ZL1 (even with the gas guzzler tax on the ZL1).

hognutz 07-02-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larietrope (Post 6739663)
I turned down the Mustang GT 500 after driving it. For one, too flashy, looked more like a hot wheels car than I liked. Too nose heavy. It drove okay but I could tell it just didn't feel as if I'd enjoy a long trip in it. Rode very stiff on all settings. Have to say it does have raw power in all gears.
So I am over that and back to searching for the right Camaro.

just keep searching. don't tell dealers you did not like the GT500 tell them you loved it and make them match the price.

in my case it was me threating to buy a GT500 that got the dealership to go supplier price last summer.

the closer the 2014's get to the ground the less 2013's are worth.

72MachOne99GT 07-02-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlecammi (Post 6742647)
But why would anyone want a base GT500? Everyone I know would definitely want the SVT and track packages (with the 2-position adjustable Bilstein shocks, Thorsen diff, oil+trans+diff coolers, etcetera). Add them and the optional Recaros and the cost of a GT500 is severa; thousands more than a ZL1 (even with the gas guzzler tax on the ZL1).

I have no need for that equipment. *though a THORson differential sounds like it has potential*

The base car handles exceptionally well for everything I ever intend to use it for. Why would I spend *as you've pointed out* several thousands of dollars for options I don't want, nor will ever need?

I've got a 662 horsepower factory vehicle that will drill cars in a straight line that far exceed it in 'status' and price, all while doing a pretty solid job of performing on a road course if I were ever to take it there. Furthermore, if I ever DO take it to a road course, the times I run as an amateur would be so ridiculously bad, I highly doubt I would need options that allow me to enter and exit corners at higher speeds than I'd already be experiencing.

So, maybe I am in the extreme minority, but I think if the magnetic ride had been an option on the ZL1, and it could have been purchased as a BASE model around 51,000, many people would have jumped on it.

fourcammer 07-02-2013 07:15 PM

cannot go wrong with either .I know I have both

Mister Will 07-03-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT (Post 6744504)
I have no need for that equipment. *though a THORson differential sounds like it has potential*

The base car handles exceptionally well for everything I ever intend to use it for. Why would I spend *as you've pointed out* several thousands of dollars for options I don't want, nor will ever need?

I've got a 662 horsepower factory vehicle that will drill cars in a straight line that far exceed it in 'status' and price, all while doing a pretty solid job of performing on a road course if I were ever to take it there. Furthermore, if I ever DO take it to a road course, the times I run as an amateur would be so ridiculously bad, I highly doubt I would need options that allow me to enter and exit corners at higher speeds than I'd already be experiencing.

So, maybe I am in the extreme minority, but I think if the magnetic ride had been an option on the ZL1, and it could have been purchased as a BASE model around 51,000, many people would have jumped on it.

Yeah, if you just want to cruise around and sit and talk at the car shows or gatherings, the base model is just fine.

For my application I do a lot of "spirited" canyon carving. Here in Southern California with elevated temperatures spirited driving raised oil and coolant temperatures quickly. The coolers would be real nice. tHE ADJUSTABLE BILSTEINS AND Thorsen diff would help with my Corvette running peeps.

Sure I could get the base model and spend the next couple of years installing the upgrades to make it a fully optioned model (satisfying my mod bug). But why not get it from the factory? Also, the Zl1 provides all of the suspension upgrades for 10K less.

72MachOne99GT 07-03-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Will (Post 6746620)
Yeah, if you just want to cruise around and sit and talk at the car shows or gatherings, the base model is just fine.

For my application I do a lot of "spirited" canyon carving. Here in Southern California with elevated temperatures spirited driving raised oil and coolant temperatures quickly. The coolers would be real nice. tHE ADJUSTABLE BILSTEINS AND Thorsen diff would help with my Corvette running peeps.

Sure I could get the base model and spend the next couple of years installing the upgrades to make it a fully optioned model (satisfying my mod bug). But why not get it from the factory? Also, the Zl1 provides all of the suspension upgrades for 10K less.

You're right, since I've never had my car above 60 mph and I only take it to bullshit at car shows I didn't need anything more than the base model.

It's really a shame because almost every car ever released before the ZL1 and GT500 with some sort of performance pack and track pack are good for nothing but cruising and car shows.

I guess the Boss and 1LE are equally as worthless.

And I suppose the THORson differential would allow me to throw hammers at people too, which in all reality would be a nice perk.

How much kool-aid have you consumed?

HPT BANDIT 07-03-2013 04:30 PM

How did we ever survive without a track pack.

The Baron 07-03-2013 04:43 PM

Its pretty simple.. if you want a mustang.. buy one.

Mister Will 07-03-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT (Post 6747769)
How much kool-aid have you consumed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT (Post 6744504)

I don't drink koolaid.

v8 07-03-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 (Post 6738366)
What are you planning to use the car for? Daily driver, weekend cruiser, track days, drag strip, etc.? Both cars are great daily drivers and unless you plan to spend a lot of time doing track events, the ZL1 magnetic ride is overkill and the SVT performance pack is unnecessary. Likewise the Recaros unless you just think they are cool.

I own both and can honestly say the GT500 is the more fun car to drive, overall, than my ZL1. Of course, hundreds will now post after me explaining all the reasons I am wrong in my opinion (like an opinion can even be wrong!), but it is my experience.

I will agree with you, I own both as well. The ZL1 looks bad ass, but the GT500 is more fun to drive and feels like its got A LOT more power. The thing is a monster. I have the track pack on my GT500 and drive in southern Ontario where it gets really hot, the car never has a heat problem. In fact, the rads never get that hot. The ZL1 is a different story but it looks sooo HOT, I lobe the look of the ZL1. Also not to be picky but the recaros in the mustang are great quality, I wish I could say the same about the camaro seats. I find I try to hop in so I don't rub the sides on them. Just my two cents

FINALLYSATISFIED 07-03-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hognutz (Post 6742819)
just keep searching. don't tell dealers you did not like the GT500 tell them you loved it and make them match the price.

in my case it was me threating to buy a GT500 that got the dealership to go supplier price last summer.

the closer the 2014's get to the ground the less 2013's are worth.

Match the price? The ZL1 is cheaper regardless. There are dealers out there willing to do invoice for a '13 ZL1.

FINALLYSATISFIED 07-03-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8 (Post 6748749)
I will agree with you, I own both as well. The ZL1 looks bad ass, but the GT500 is more fun to drive and feels like its got A LOT more power. The thing is a monster. I have the track pack on my GT500 and drive in southern Ontario where it gets really hot, the car never has a heat problem. In fact, the rads never get that hot. The ZL1 is a different story but it looks sooo HOT, I lobe the look of the ZL1. Also not to be picky but the recaros in the mustang are great quality, I wish I could say the same about the camaro seats. I find I try to hop in so I don't rub the sides on them. Just my two cents

Never owning a 660hp+ car I couldn't imagine how fun it is to drive. For me though mentally it would be hard pill to swallow on buying a $65-70k vehicle that would get man handled on a road course by a $36-40k 1LE. Sure the GT500 is sexy but outside of that it just looks good in a garage.

v8 07-03-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6748835)
Never owning a 660hp+ car I couldn't imagine how fun it is to drive. For me though mentally it would be hard pill to swallow on buying a $65-70k vehicle that would get man handled on a road course by a $36-40k 1LE. Sure the GT500 is sexy but outside of that it just looks good in a garage.

Thats the thing, I could care less about a road course because I don't drive the car on a road course. 99% of the population see the power of a car on the street. For me I bought the car for fun. The ZL1 handles better hands down, and looks a lot better. Personally I think that the Camaro is a better looking car, but the mustang is more fun. The Camaro feels like a souped up cadillac, its quiet, reserved, and predictable. The Mustang is raw. I don't drive on a track and I don't street race, but every now and then I accelerate hard to the speed limit and the GT500 is much more fun doing it. In a straight line it will put my ZL1 to shame (I can say that as I own a ZL1) I actually enjoy when a tap off the gas can make the rear wag its tail with the traction control off, even when rolling at speeds of 40 or 50mph.

Different people want different things but to say that "For me though mentally it would be hard pill to swallow on buying a $65-70k vehicle that would get man handled on a road course by a $36-40k 1LE" I think is a little shallow. If your not tracking your car, then a road course has no bearing. On the street there is no way a 1LE would even compare to the GT500. While I have not driven the 1LE, I did own an SS (which I enjoyed) but it would never compete on the street with my GT500.

I am a Chevy guy at heart, but the GT500 got to me. Both cars are great, but for fun I give it to the Shelby. For looks/handling I give it to the ZL1. They are both great cars, they are just very different cars. FYI - I did buy the ZL1 prior to the GT500 :)

The most fun car I have ever owned was my 74 454 Corvette. Handling, crappy(compared to these new cars), but it was just a real fun car to drive. My GT500 reminds me of it. A muscle car.

Steve Dallas 07-03-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked (Post 6737059)
This. Fully Loaded ZL1 58000, Fully Loadet gt500 72000.

Also, the ZL1 comes with handling covered very well. Adding power is much easier. With the Shelby, you have a lot of work to do to match the ZL1's Magnetic Ride.

v8 07-03-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Dallas (Post 6748988)
Also, the ZL1 comes with handling covered very well. Adding power is much easier. With the Shelby, you have a lot of work to do to match the ZL1's Magnetic Ride.

The Mag ride on the ZL1 is superb.