Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Is Z28 good for daily driver (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346115)

jingnai2 03-07-2014 02:05 AM

Is Z28 good for daily driver

Hello guys, Im planning order a Z28 or ZL1 pretty soon, if I purchase the car this is the only car Im gona have, just wondering if is good for daily use, right now Im in between the ZL1 and the Z28, seems like ZL1 is a better daily driver because all the fancy stuff on it and also the car is not too low to the groud, I am planning on going to the track maybe once every 2 month, but I really like the look of the z28 better, so what do you guys think is the z28 gona be a good daily driver?

Doc 03-07-2014 02:09 AM

No, the ZL1 will be a much better daily driver. If you want a daily driver that's also a fun track car, get a 1LE. With the money you save compared to a ZL1 or Z/28 you'll be able to buy a lot of tires and brake pads for years for all your track time with the 1LE.

Kevlar382 03-07-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingnai2 (Post 7475606)
Hello guys, Im planning order a Z28 or ZL1 pretty soon, if I purchase the car this is the only car Im gona have, just wondering if is good for daily use, right now Im in between the ZL1 and the Z28, seems like ZL1 is a better daily driver because all the fancy stuff on it and also the car is not too low to the groud, I am planning on going to the track maybe once every 2 month, but I really like the look of the z28 better, so what do you guys think is the z28 gona be a good daily driver?

The Zl1 and 1LE are both much nicer street cars. You can take any car to a track and have a fun day. Why would you want to pay that much for a car that doesn't even have carpet, the road noise alone would drive me nuts
. What ever you decide you will enjoy, be safe.

Kevlar382 03-07-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Also I would like to welcome you to camaro5.com. This is a great website, about a great car with a lot of really nice people.

1KillerSS 03-07-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlar382 (Post 7475793)
Also I would like to welcome you to camaro5.com. This is a great website, about a great car with a lot of really nice people.

yea man for sure welcome and have fun!:happy0180:

Al C. 03-07-2014 07:33 AM

I don't even use my ZL1 as a daily driver. A few people on here say they do and love it.. It's all about preference both cars can, but my opinion would be no to both cars..

backtotintops 03-07-2014 08:53 AM

yes if I get one it will be daily driver and winter too. There was a post about the engineers taking it on a long drive and they said the recaros made it nice. So it might not be like butter but who cares..you can drive it every day but I agree the approach angle and pulling to close to things is something to constantly watch for.

Did I miss something...I read people say it has no carpets??? I believe it has much of the sound deadening removed and the only carpet removed is in the trunk???...or am I wrong.

alaskacamaro 03-07-2014 09:04 AM

ZL1 for sure. While the Z/28 is "street legal" it was designed to be a track car first. Hell, you have to buy A/C as one of the options and the hood vent does not have anything to help drain rain water away from the engine.

As far as I know the only carpet delete is in the trunk.

ZL1 is 20k cheaper.

Diode Dynamics 03-07-2014 09:06 AM

The Z/28 has no A/C / Stereo / etc...so that's one area where the ZL1 definitely comes out on top as a DD.

Plus the cost of replacing your tires, which are probably terrible in the rain, will be much higher than a ZL1's

I love the way the Z/28 looks and it's a beast on the track, but the ZL1 is the better choice for a DD IMO

Nick C.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 03-07-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtotintops (Post 7476014)
yes if I get one it will be daily driver and winter too. There was a post about the engineers taking it on a long drive and they said the recaros made it nice. So it might not be like butter who cars..you can drive it every day but I agree the approach angle and pulling to close to things is something to constantly watch for.

Did I miss something...I read people say it has no carpets??? I believe it has much of the sound deadening removed and the only carpet removed is in the trunk???...or am I wrong.

your right on the carpet in the trunk, is the only one out of the car.

SPCBA 03-07-2014 09:12 AM

Depends where you live to be honest.

I would (in another world haha ;) )drive the z28 daily if i got the ac.

Switchin2Chevy 03-07-2014 09:41 AM

I'd definitely go with the ZL1.

backtotintops 03-07-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskacamaro (Post 7476054)
the hood vent does not have anything to help drain rain water away from the engine.

first I have heard of this??? I doubt it is any different from any other 2014 with the hood vent...please elaborate???

We have already seen it in the rain and covered in salt somewhere up north. There is no way gm designed this car to have a weakness in the rain.

Mikebrinda 03-07-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Do you mind shifting gears in traffic for the foreseeable future without a break, day after day after day . . . ? That can get old. No automatic in Z/28. Just something to consider.