Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Window tinting (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22754)

PewterPhil 05-14-2009 12:16 PM

Window tinting

I plan to tint my side windows when I get my Camaro. Are any of you going to tint the windshield. It's not legal here in Tennessee to do the windshield but the guy who is going to do it for me does it for alot of nice cars anyway. He even told me which suburb cops to watch out for. I've never had window tinting done before so I was just wondering if it is normal to do all the windows or what? I do want to be able to see out of the front windshield at night easily if that matters.

FH212 05-14-2009 12:24 PM

You are going to have to tint your back window or it will look real awful. I would not do the front windshield, I had it done on one of my cars about 10 years ago, its cool during the day but visabilty at night suffers.

dodson914 05-14-2009 12:35 PM

I have the top portion of the front windshield on my truck tinted. But, that windshield is MUCH larger. I wouldn't do it.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 05-14-2009 12:37 PM

In AZ, we can tint the rear window and any glass behind the driver/passenger as dark as we want. The driver/passenger windows have to be above a certain shade, but I can't remember what light level that is. From experience, tinting tha back part of a car makes the rest of the interior pretty dark and you really wouldn't want to have your doors as dark anyway...it makes seeing instruments difficult during the day.

As to the windshield, are you referring to having just a visor strip done? The legal method is to run a strip across the top but not below the little mark a few inches from the top known as the "as-1" line. Look for it. I'm 6'2", so I don't even go down that far as it interferes with the view. This is especially true on an off-road vehicle where you may have to look through any part of the glass as the attitude of the vehicle changes as you go over obstacles.

Who in the heck would want to tint their entire windshield?

And you are on the right track having a professional do it. Make sure they are using quality, brand-name film, usually listed as "metallized." Do-it-yourselfers are often VERY sorry they tried to do this themselves.

Don't plan on rolling the windows down for a couple of days to give the film time to dry out/cure, and seek out a non-ammonium-based window cleaner. Putting lots of Windex on a tinted window can make it start to come loose, as that's how they remove old tint.

Your mileage may vary...

John B.

SSOOCH 05-14-2009 12:40 PM

No tinting for me. I want people to see who's driving this bad boy!

MrIcky 05-14-2009 12:40 PM

I would consider something like 3M Crystalline which can be bought in an almost true clear and still has 40% light rejection. It's very expensive.

live2well 05-14-2009 12:41 PM

Why ride dirty if you dont have to. When you get pulled for it, you are gonna have to pay to get it uninstalled and then pay to have it inspected (likely), then pay to have it all done again except the windshield. On top of that you will now be on the PO's radar and likely be pulled again.

Richochet83 05-14-2009 12:43 PM

I'm gonna hit the windows with 20% tint but definitely not the windshield. Its gonna be bad enough a Black on Black Camaro with black windows is gonna get the attention of cops anyway. So I don't need any added attention. And where I live they cops look forward to getting jokers with tinted windshields.

Rocks RS 05-14-2009 12:45 PM

I plan on gettin back and sides done.

SSOOCH 05-14-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live2well (Post 486877)
Why ride dirty

Christ I'm getting old. What does that mean?

miami69 05-14-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PewterPhil (Post 486821)
I plan to tint my side windows when I get my Camaro. Are any of you going to tint the windshield. It's not legal here in Tennessee to do the windshield but the guy who is going to do it for me does it for alot of nice cars anyway. He even told me which suburb cops to watch out for. I've never had window tinting done before so I was just wondering if it is normal to do all the windows or what? I do want to be able to see out of the front windshield at night easily if that matters.

Before we give you advice, it would help to know WHY you want to tint the windshield. Is it for privacy, is it for added heat and UV rejection, what?

MaroSS 05-14-2009 12:47 PM

Tint every window the same tint on this car. I had tinted my Charger windows and my back window was limo tint while my back door windows were also limo but front driver and passenger windows were of lighter tint which was a greyish color during the day but got darker at night. On the Camaro since its a two door, I will get all my windows tinted the same which is the best option because you can really tell the difference between if the tint was different on a two door car compared to a four door. Its best to have it dark enough to where not many people can see what you have inside, but cops can see you because you do have to drive around at least 3 days without rolling your windows down. But the windshield tinting is a baddddd idea ... tinting on this car may be weird period because of the huge blind spot ... idk :-/ good luck to you.

my2010camaross 05-14-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 486892)

ridin dirty? can mean a numerous of things, drugs peri. alc. etc. why ride dirty win you dont have too.

rolnslo 05-14-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 486892)

Here, this should help keep you up to date on the current convolution of the English language. :thumbsup:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=riding+dirty