Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Do you think that the car needs a separate Clutch Fluid reservoir (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085)

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-24-2009 10:48 PM

Do you think that the car needs a separate Clutch Fluid reservoir

So like the Title said do you think that the Camaro needs a separate Clutch Fluid reservoir, Like the C6 and the G8 or are you happy with it the way it is?.

Vash 07-24-2009 10:57 PM

I am curious why you think it does? Is it not working properly? It's an idea that's way overdue in my opinion. Fewer components are cheaper to make and maintain. Till it fails I don't see why it would be an issue.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-24-2009 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I for one do not like the mix of brake and Clutch Fluid in one reservoir, Think of the ABS on your car and if you drive it all the time what is going to happen to you big $ brakes, this pic is after 1 week in the brake and Clutch reservoir for the Fluid.

Vash 07-24-2009 11:15 PM

Looks normal. With the dark background hard to tell.

The fluid system is sealed dust from the clutch won't get into the juice unless there is a defect. And if your temps are nominal for eng and tranny you should be fine.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-24-2009 11:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So why do C6 and G8 come with a separate reservoir for those car but us Camaro guy's don't get one, and here you go.
This is what it will look like.

shockandawe 07-25-2009 03:10 AM

Yes

GEN-IV 07-25-2009 06:35 AM

I'm satisfied with a common reservior, one less component to fail.

bbardo 07-25-2009 06:58 AM

I would like to see the aftermarket offer this option.
Clutch dust can't be a good thing for the ABS to deal with IMO

nards444 07-25-2009 07:35 AM

i really dont care

CatiaJockey 07-25-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbardo (Post 720923)
I would like to see the aftermarket offer this option.
Clutch dust can't be a good thing for the ABS to deal with IMO

Clutch dust cannot get in the fluid no more than brake dust can. Its a sealed system and the discoloration you see is completely normal. I have no issue with the combined system, works good lasts a long time.

WayneE 07-25-2009 08:05 AM

I don't think it would be too hard to separate the reservoirs, like other LSx-powered cars. For a car that's tracked, it would probably be a worthwhile investment.

alrox 07-25-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatiaJockey (Post 720965)
Clutch dust cannot get in the fluid no more than brake dust can. Its a sealed system and the discoloration you see is completely normal. I have no issue with the combined system, works good lasts a long time.

Read this

Clutch dust does get into the clutch fluid system in Corvettes and I see no reason why it won't happen on the same type of system in the Camaro. You will end up with clutch dust in your brake fluid if this system is like the Corvette's. This is a bad design.

Look for Chevy to change this soon because it appears to be a cost cutting measure.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-25-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatiaJockey (Post 720965)

You ma be right, But for $22.00 and 1 1/2 hour of my time it's insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alrox (Post 720989)
Read this

Clutch dust does get into the clutch fluid system in Corvettes and I see no reason why it won't happen on the same type of system in the Camaro. You will end up with clutch dust in your brake fluid if this system is like the Corvette's. This is a bad design.

Look for Chevy to change this soon because it appears to be a cost cutting measure.

who do you think i sent an e-mail to:

Upgrading to a DOT4 fluid sounds like a good idea. GM now is recommending DOT4 for all Corvettes, including those whose owner's manuals state DOT3.

There is a list of good DOT4 fluids on my website’s clutch care page. I use two different fluids interchangeably.
(1) GM Super DOT4 expensive and hard to find
(2) Prestone DOT4 cheaper, widely available, including Walmart

Only brand to avoid is Valvoline. It leeches to black almost immediately.

Good luck with your car.

Ranger

Hi i have been looking at your post's for a long time now on this forum, But I got the new camaro last month and noticed that the brake and clutch reservoir is combined into the brake reservoir. I am planning to split the two apart and give the clutch its own reservoir but am wondering if I can upgrade the fluid in the clutch to dot 4 instead of dot 3. Do you think that this would be a problem.

And i did this yesterday like i said in 1 1/2 hours and all the parts are $22.00

parts you need are:

#1 new reservoir from a GTO a Holden part # 92065790 list $19.33 but can get for $15.00

#2 a hose clamp, Range 1/4-5/8" less than $1.00
#3 a rubber plug for the brake master cylinder reservoir. $ 0.75
#4 2 self tapping metal screws for the new reservoir. $ 0.50
#5 And this is the end Dot 4 Brake fluid "Prestone" . $ 2.75

And that is it.

RPO F55 07-25-2009 08:48 AM

Clutch dust getting into the fluid is a well known issue with the LS motors and manual transmissions.

Has been happening on C6 corvettes from some time - only on the C6 you can cycle the fluid with fresh stuff given the separate tank.

Not sure why they did this on the Camaro - I like being able to cycle out my fluid periodically with fresh DOT4. Easy process, only take a few minutes and I can have clean fluid.

Check your fluid after about 10k and you won't believe how black it looks. Definately clutch dust getting by.