Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Modifications for the track! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330773)

LS3or1LE 12-01-2013 10:43 PM

Modifications for the track!

Hey guys! just wanna open this up, what would you all recommend to get a 1le track ready!? Im not talking what is REQUIRED by the class and sponsor but what you guys would recommend! Anyone know of good bolt on roll cages or should I get a 5 point harness? Also Pedders Permagrin kit seems like a cheap must have to take our 1le's to the next level!:happyanim:

So Cal Camaro 12-01-2013 10:48 PM

Steel braided brake lines, castrol SRF fluid for starters....you can do a harness bar and 5 pt belts...and of course, buy all the Pedder's you can afford....

LS3or1LE 12-01-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro (Post 7229438)
Steel braided brake lines, castrol SRF fluid for starters....you can do a harness bar and 5 pt belts...and of course, buy all the Pedder's you can afford....

Whats the advantage that comes from brake lines other than longevity? and castrol SRF is overpriced:eyebulge::eyebulge:

BUT....you are right it is really nice, and of course, pedders equals winning.

So Cal Camaro 12-01-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS3or1LE (Post 7229470)
Whats the advantage that comes from brake lines other than longevity? and castrol SRF is overpriced:eyebulge::eyebulge:

BUT....you are right it is really nice, and of course, pedders equals winning.

Not having brake fade is the advantage, you need some better brake fluid and the braided lines to help avoid it....I didn't even recommend better brake pads yet...Hawk DTC30 front/HP+rear at a minimum...I run Cobalt Friction...

spending money improving the brakes is an investment in your safety, don't skimp....and some track insurance is not a bad idea if going out on a road course with others...

Tyler at JDP Motorsports can hook you up with all you need for a good deal....buy from people who actually race...

White_SS/RS 12-01-2013 11:25 PM

Good brake fluid is the #1 most important mod for tracking your car. Your next best bet is an agressive chassis alignment. Then look at racing belts, Pedders 1le kit, and so on... as you push your car harder the things that need improvement will start to stand out.

LS3or1LE 12-01-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White_SS/RS (Post 7229491)
Good brake fluid is the #1 most important mod for tracking your car. Your next best bet is an agressive chassis alignment. Then look at racing belts, Pedders 1le kit, and so on... as you push your car harder the things that need improvement will start to stand out.

I see in your signature it says custom oil cooling system, were you having issues? and did you just put a wider oil cooler on?

White_SS/RS 12-02-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS3or1LE (Post 7229502)
I see in your signature it says custom oil cooling system, were you having issues? and did you just put a wider oil cooler on?

The factory oil 'cooler' wasn't cutting it, I would be getting engine oil temps around 270* while the water temp stayed at 210*, transmission at 180*.

I designed the system using improved racing's oil thermostat and an Earls oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I made up and ran all the lines and the brackets. Nothing is offered as a bolt in kit so I call it my custom job. Haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet.

Dropspeed 12-02-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS3or1LE (Post 7229426)
Hey guys! just wanna open this up, what would you all recommend to get a 1le track ready!? Im not talking what is REQUIRED by the class and sponsor but what you guys would recommend! Anyone know of good bolt on roll cages or should I get a 5 point harness? Also Pedders Permagrin kit seems like a cheap must have to take our 1le's to the next level!:happyanim:

The only thing required is brake fluid. Other than that if you want to change the alignment you can (I did). Because you are coming from another Camaro this will feel like a totally different car. Take is out an see what YOU feel it needs and then go from there.

You can read some of my threads In my sig about tracking the car stock. (With a brake fluid change and alignmnet.)

Matt

LS3or1LE 12-02-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dropspeed (Post 7229672)
The only thing required is brake fluid. Other than that if you want to change the alignment you can (I did). Because you are coming from another Camaro this will feel like a totally different car. Take is out an see what YOU feel it needs and then go from there.

You can read some of my threads In my sig about tracking the car stock. (With a brake fluid change and alignmnet.)

Matt

Is alignment just like the camber and stuff? And will it still be street able and wear the tires normally with an aggressive alignment?
:noidea:

toehead93 12-02-2013 08:16 PM

A cheaper alternative to a harness bar and 5/6 point harness is Schroth 4 point rallye 3 which has antisubmarineling built into the design. Brakes are a good start, definitely to the fluid and alignment first then once you get a feel for the car around the track and defending on how often you track it look into brake upgrades. There are several routes to go from track pads to 6 piston front calipers (like the ones I am selling). Theb there are the typical bolt-ons as well for more power.

I am in my phone otherwise iwould post a link to peders recommended alignment specs.

Msmall143 12-02-2013 08:21 PM

Helmet!

:sm0:

LS3or1LE 12-02-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmall143 (Post 7231382)
Helmet!

:sm0:

Thats important :sm0:

toehead93 12-02-2013 09:17 PM

Overrated

White_SS/RS 12-02-2013 11:18 PM

Do the brake fluid and and get a helmet. If you want to invest in more go fast stuff, the guys above have offered some great starting points. :respekt:

Above all... Have fun!!