Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Borla atak help !!!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98114)

iom 08-01-2010 01:00 PM

Borla atak help !!!!!

Hey guys ,

I have a l99 with 3000 miles , I made up my mine
and decided to go with borla atak .

But I can only afford the axle back.

I know the issue with the bigger resonators
But I'm confuse & here's why .

I owned a hypertech power programmer so I can turn off the afm , so will this fix the problem.

Or do I need the x pipe as well.

1 will the sound and hp be the same with the axle back and cat back if afm is turn off.

2 is there anything els in the catback besides the x pipe that will really matter

3 does anybody know if the atak give you hp ?
Maybe somebody did a dyno with a stock car then
With the borla atak setup.

Thanks for reading

usmcjlp 08-01-2010 01:17 PM

Axle back will not give you a horsepower gain. You will only change the sound of the vehicle.

Look through previous threads and you will see that long tube headers to include the mid-pipe with stock exhaust will give you just as much gain after tune.

I would consider axle back a cosmetic change. Save your money for headers.

lee 08-01-2010 01:34 PM

i just ordered the atak axleback and a magnaflow xpipe , just waiting for the atak to get here so i can get it put on

iom 08-01-2010 01:50 PM

Will the catback atak system give you a hp gain ?

bi11ymc 08-01-2010 02:43 PM

From the cats on back, there is not much to be gained in performance. Inside the L99 resonators is an H pipe. An axle back system is just for sound changing, as is a cat-back system. The cat-back system does shed a lot more of the weight, though. Those resonators and mufflers on the Camaro are heavy.

Also, you may be less prone to drone by keeping the resonators.

iom 08-01-2010 05:26 PM

Ok ,

So axleback & catback is the same as far as hp goes.

The only difference is the sound h pipe or x pipe .

So is the catback system worth the extra six hundred dollars just for the x pipe.

Is the sound that much different?

lee 08-01-2010 05:57 PM

i cant justify spending that much extra extra for the catback , i ordered the axleback and a magnaflo trux and gonna buy a cai with what i saved if i had bought a catback

iom 08-01-2010 10:23 PM

I was thinking the same , I am going to go with the axle back

And with the money I save buy a cai.

And also you can always change the h pipe to an x pipe at a later time , I'm sure it will be far less then what borla is
Charging.

I just hope I don't go crazy and start changing the cats and pipe and nex thing you know I'm supercharge lol

Bonemaro 08-02-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iom (Post 2169903)
I was thinking the same , I am going to go with the axle back

And with the money I save buy a cai.

And also you can always change the h pipe to an x pipe at a later time , I'm sure it will be far less then what borla is
Charging.

I just hope I don't go crazy and start changing the cats and pipe and nex thing you know I'm supercharge lol

Smart move to me. Add a CAI and headers to your existing mid pipes and the axleback and you'll increase your HP by roughly 50 when properly tuned :)

movalsoldier 09-22-2010 08:02 AM

hp?

how much horsepower does the borla atak system add to the 2011 camaro ss manual?

Jay_LHD3 09-22-2010 08:07 AM

:readthethread:

orange-prince 09-22-2010 08:44 AM

i have kooks lt's and i well go atak axleback cuz the sound with the
stock h-pipe is awsome its like an old muscle car so save your mony
and dont get x-pipe
if you want to go with sc or turbo you should go with 3" x-pipe
if you dont you dont have to change it

EliteCZM523 09-22-2010 09:21 AM

If ur planning on doing LT's, then dont even waste ur money on an X-Pipe, will get thrown out anyways lol.

mcdoogle6969 09-22-2010 11:02 AM

If you want to get headers then pick up the borla axle-back and get LT headers whenever you want them or can afford them.

I have Borla ATAK axle-back and LT ARH's and I am pretty damn happy with the results! :D I just fell into the power hungry problem and I'm looking at Superchargers right now :facepalm:

Borla said that the ATAK flows better than a straight exhaust....so the power should increase a little.