Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I had some free time (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141071)

Mrpaintballordie 04-14-2011 09:15 AM

I had some free time

So I started calculating how much time it will take for me to save $5,500 so I can get a STS turbo on this bad boy. During summer I make around $80 at least a night I'n tips so I did $80 x 6 b/c I work 6 days a week and got I'll be making around $480 a week I'n tips alone. So I did 5,500 divided by 480 and it should take me around 11 weeks to save up. Jeez I'm excited now! Soon my car will be a v8 competitor maybe killer lol. Anyone who already has the STS turbo for their v6 I'm interested on how it's doing and if u guys/girls think it was a great investment

The Stig 04-14-2011 09:23 AM

That's 11 weeks of not spending any of your tip money though. Which I guess you can do as long as you're not blowing through your pay check. I personally loved it when I waited tables, could make $100 a night if it was busy, and that's on top of the regular pay check.

DarkneSS 04-14-2011 09:29 AM

Yeah you can make mad money off delivery too. Four hours of work and on a friday I could walk out of there with over $100 in cash.

Good luck saving up man!

Mrpaintballordie 04-14-2011 09:33 AM

Thanks guys. I won't be blowing through my check because all of my checks go to my parents to pay off the car.

BlkThndr66 04-14-2011 09:35 AM

:facepalm:

I mean, if you wanna void your warranty and become deeply involved in a turbo setup on your Camaro; be my guest. There are TONS of threads about this. Most notably and recently: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116365

GretchenGrowl has gotten 4-5psi on her system and she's deep as F into the build. Even with Vince from Trifecta, there are still fuel issues with these DI motors. MyWorld just dyno'd his STS custom turbo install [took all winter and spring to get installed correctly] and he had 318 to the rear wheels. Now he blames the crummy dyno machine, but still. It's a big long process and it sure as hell is gonna cost you more than the 5500 for the kit. But if you've got a lot of free time, an ace mechanic, a place to work on it, and determination, sure. I just don't have 6 grand to throw at my car. Id rather sell my Camaro for 22, add the 6 and Im in the 2010 1SS range man....:drool: just sayin.... :iono:

Mrpaintballordie 04-14-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkThndr66 (Post 3094724)

I mean, if you wanna void your warranty and become deeply involved in a turbo setup on your Camaro; be my guest. There are TONS of threads about this. Most notably and recently: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116365

GretchenGrowl has gotten 4-5psi on her system and she's deep as F into the build. Even with Vince from Trifecta, there are still fuel issues with these DI motors. MyWorld just dyno'd his STS custom turbo install [took all winter and spring to get installed correctly] and he had 318 to the rear wheels. Now he blames the crummy dyno machine, but still. It's a big long process and it sure as hell is gonna cost you more than the 5500 for the kit. But if you've got a lot of free time, an ace mechanic, a place to work on it, and determination, sure. I just don't have 6 grand to throw at my car. Id rather sell my Camaro for 22, add the 6 and Im in the 2010 1SS range man....:drool: just sayin.... :iono:

U have a good point but I'm tired of kids talking crap saying "what's the point of a camaro if it's not a v8." and I'm sick of it I have the nicest car on the island when it comes to teens and probably the 2nd nicest on the whole island. ( dude right outside my plantations has a black + yellow lamb black rims + spoiler it's stunning ) I just don't have all that v8 power

DarkneSS 04-14-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrpaintballordie (Post 3094857)
U have a good point but I'm tired of kids talking crap saying "what's the point of a camaro if it's not a v8." and I'm sick of it I have the nicest car on the island when it comes to teens and probably the 2nd nicest on the whole island. ( dude right outside my plantations has a black + yellow lamb black rims + spoiler it's stunning ) I just don't have all that v8 power

Dude mod your car for YOU! Not for other people! If you are happy with the 6 then keep the 6.

Also keep in mind you need to be pretty knowledgeable with cars if you are going to apply n aftermarket turbo to a car. Things WILL break and if you dont know what the hell is under the hood youll be stranded on the side of the road or paying mechanics out the ass to fix everything.

Just saying, take everything into consideration.

CamaroFreako 04-14-2011 10:37 AM

1.save up

2.sell the V6

3.Buy SS

4.profit

rd-camaro 04-14-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrpaintballordie (Post 3094857)

honestly who cares what other kids say...most of the time they are driving beat up civics or acuras so they are probably just jealous. i hear that quote all the time, especially at shows. a camaro is a camaro, a mustang is a mustang, a challenger is a challenger and so forth. its your camaro and thats all thats to it bro. our v6's stock have the hp of a v8 from years ago...and thats just awesome how you can get the amount of power out of our v6s that we do. i bet if you took these kids for a nice ride they would shut up. :bow:

scrming 04-14-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkneSS (Post 3094865)
Dude mod your car for YOU! Not for other people! If you are happy with the 6 then keep the 6.

Also keep in mind you need to be pretty knowledgeable with cars if you are going to apply n aftermarket turbo to a car. Things WILL break and if you dont know what the hell is under the hood youll be stranded on the side of the road or paying mechanics out the ass to fix everything.

Just saying, take everything into consideration.

Yep...

figure an easy $1,000 for an install... plus you'll be without your car for a while...

Also, when doing something as drastic as adding a power adder you definitely need Plan B for when something goes wrong! You will be looking at a major repair bill.. plus again, you'll be without your car for a while..

Trevorw24 04-14-2011 11:34 AM

Save up for an SS.

jagan323 04-14-2011 12:53 PM

I agree with some people here.. OP you are cutting it too close to the neck. Don't spend all of your money on your car. I would spend 10% of your monthly earnings on your car... MAX.

Think ahead, cars only depreciate, so w/e money you are putting into it, will end up being less than you bought for. I'd love to jump onto some turbos right now, but I need to save up. Got bills to pay, 2 mortgages, and just life in general lol.

But, goodluck!

GretchenGotGrowl 04-14-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkThndr66 (Post 3094724)

I agree that someone shouldn't spend every last penny they have modding their car. Howerver, I think you view of the success of these kits is a little pessemistic. Yes, I'm only running 4.5 psi, but it isn't because I can't run more. Vince has shown his tune can support around 9-10 psi before we run out of fuel. I'm not in a hurry to get there, after all I make more RWHP than the typical L99 and close to what the LS3s do. I just want to spend some time tweaking some things because I like my car to be the way I want it. Right now proving I can put 425-450 RWHP is just not a big concern for me. What good would it do me? I need to decide on new wheels and tires and add some trailing arms to make good use of the power I have already.

So, to sum it up. If I were paying my parents back for the car I wouldn't put every last penny I had into a turbo. I'm not in that situation and if I had it to do all over again I'd put a twin turbo on my car again.

kek 04-14-2011 03:00 PM

I agree with many of the posts on this, Mrpaintballordie. If you really wanna do some serious mods to your car, wait until at least it's paid off. Think of all the money you can blow on your car once it's paid off!!! And then you don't have to worry as much when it breaks and you gotta pay to fix it.

I drive a 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LS, and people always say, "yeah, but it's not a V8." But to me, that's fine because I'm not dragging it (if I were then I could've offerded a V8 ... dragging costs money), and it's a very good possibility that my V6 LS Camaro will beat whatever they're driving anyway. So when they say that, I just respond with, "Wanna race?"

That Camaro is YOURS (well actually it belongs to the bank until it's paid off, but you get what I'm sayin) and you should do with it what YOU want.