Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   New Camaro Recall - Ignition Switch System / Key Fob (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363441)

toti 06-13-2014 08:14 AM

New Camaro Recall - Ignition Switch System / Key Fob

1 Attachment(s)
Update: June 19, 2014

Attachment 638616

GM Press Release:

DETROIT –
General Motors will recall all current generation Chevrolet Camaros because a driver’s knee can bump the key FOB and cause the key to inadvertently move out of the “run” position, with a corresponding reduction or loss of power.

The issue, which may primarily affect drivers sitting close to the steering column, was discovered by GM during internal testing following the ignition switch recall earlier this year.

“Discovering and acting on this issue quickly is an example of the new norm for product safety at GM,” said Jeff Boyer, vice president of GM Global Safety.

The Camaro ignition system meets all GM engineering specifications and is unrelated to the ignition system used in Chevrolet Cobalts and other small cars included in the ignition switch recall.

GM is aware of three crashes that resulted in four minor injuries that it believes may be attributed to this condition.

The company will change the Camaro key to a standard design from one in which the key is concealed in the FOB and is opened by pushing a button. The change will make the ignition key and FOB independent of each other, so that inadvertent contact with the FOB won’t move the key from the “run” position. There are 464,712 Camaros from the 2010-2014 model years in the U.S. included in the recall. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 511,528.

Separately, GM also announced two safety recalls and one non-compliance recall involving a total of 65,121 cars in the U.S. all three of which were reported to the NHTSA on Wednesday, June 11, 2014. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 69,839.

In all cases, customers will receive letters from GM letting them know when they can bring their vehicles into a dealership, where the recall repairs will be performed free of charge and courtesy transportation would be provided as needed.

The recalls:

28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for an automatic tensioning system cable in the driver’s side front seat belt retractor that could break. If the cable were to break, seat belt webbing spooled out by the driver would not retract. The convertibles and sedans were investigated at the same time, but the convertible parts were not identical to the sedan parts. GM has since learned of customer complaints to the NHTSA for the convertibles. Dealers will replace the driver’s side retractor in the recalled vehicles. In addition, GM has issued a special coverage, so that if the same repair is required to the passenger side retractor it will be covered for the life of the vehicle. GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities due to this condition.

21,567 Chevrolet Sonic 2012 model year compacts equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission and a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine for a condition in which the transmission turbine shaft may fracture as a result of a supplier quality issue. If this were to occur in first or second gear, the vehicle could not upshift into third through sixth gears. If the turbine shift fractured while in one of the higher gears, the vehicle would coast until it was moving slow enough to downshift into first or second gear. In both instances, a malfunction indicator lamp may illuminate. If driven in this condition for a long period of time, all forward gears may become inoperable. The engine would continue to run and all power accessories would function. Dealers will replace the transmission turbine shaft. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.

14,765 model year 2014 Buick LaCrosse sedans because a wiring splice in the driver’s door may corrode and break. That may communicate incorrect information to circuits that control the door chime and allow passenger windows, rear windows and the sunroof to function when the vehicle is turned off and the driver is not in the vehicle. In addition, a chime will not sound when the driver’s door is opened if the key is in the ignition.

Dealers will inspect the driver door window motor harness and, if necessary, replace an electrical splice. GM is unaware of any thefts, crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.

Bulletin sent to dealers:

Quote:

Date: June 12, 2014

Subject: Stop Delivery Order

GM Reference Number 14294

Models: 2010-2014 Chevrolet Camaro

To: All Chevrolet Dealers

Attention: Dealer, Dealer Principal, General Manager, General Sales, Manager, New Vehicle Sales Manager, Used Vehicle Sales, Manager, Parts and Service Director and Service Manager

STOP DELIVERY ORDER

Effective immediately, stop the delivery of all 2010-2014 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles currently in transit to dealers as well as those already in new and used vehicle inventory for an ignition key issue. According to GM records, the total number of involved U.S. vehicles currently in new vehicle inventory is 34,233.

All 2010-2014 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles that are in dealer inventory (new and used) must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until further instructions are received.

Instructions for releasing the involved vehicles from this stop delivery will be provided in the near future.

Please do not call GM Technical Assistance.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

BigRed585Lbs 06-13-2014 08:17 AM

New Recall - Camaro Ignition Switches!!!!!!

Here we go again.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...11-recall.html

Pi kappa alpha 06-13-2014 08:19 AM

Nevermind

ChevyGirl661 06-13-2014 08:20 AM

So they are going to change the key? I like my key... :(

So they are saying all 2010-2014? CRAZY.

eblanchette 06-13-2014 08:21 AM

the salesman just called me to say that. I was supposed to take delivery today. wtf GM

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BigRed585Lbs 06-13-2014 08:22 AM

Well, they've got a *hit load of keyed ignition switches they need to get rid of, and........

gpskinzhut 06-13-2014 08:25 AM

This is very minor.

JR 1 06-13-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs (Post 7740977)
Well, they've got a *hit load of keyed ignition switches they need to get rid of, and........

Reading comprehension is key (no pun intended). There is supposedly nothing wrong with the ignition and the recall does not call for any ignition changes. The recall is to replace our nice key fobs with the rectractable key to an old fashioned key with a separate FOB.

Personally I don't drive with my knees in the column and I have no desire to get a separate ugly FOB.

007s 'Vert 06-13-2014 08:29 AM

Well that sux....I happen to like my switchblade style FOB a lot......it would be nice if they just send us the new keys and then we can have the option of using either style.....

BigRed585Lbs 06-13-2014 08:31 AM

Like I said, they've got a lot of "old fashioned key" switches they can use for replacement parts.

luis550 06-13-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyGirl661 (Post 7740973)
So they are going to change the key? I like my key... :(

So they are saying all 2010-2014? CRAZY.

i like my key too :cry:

ClawSS 06-13-2014 08:34 AM

awww...I like my key. I would replace the switch and plastic around it due to the maniacal 1st owner who must have been Jack the Ripper's sister. There are more stab marks on the plastic surround than on a piece of rice in N. Korea.

DaFisch 06-13-2014 08:39 AM

Hm.. Okay

EastWood-SS 06-13-2014 08:39 AM

:iono: Well, this sucks.

luis550 06-13-2014 08:40 AM

i think i'm gonna keep my spare. i'll only turn in one of my keys.

LuSe4 06-13-2014 08:43 AM

Umm, yeah. I will not be performing this recall. My key will remain as is, thank you.

BronxxBombers213 06-13-2014 08:45 AM

yea i wont be bringing it in for this. Theyll definitely keep the switchblade one... If they let me keep it I would use it as a spare... which would defeat the purpose because then its still a liability for them if these things are still in our possession

I wonder if theyll replace both that your car came with for the people who will be going in for this

Nameless 06-13-2014 08:48 AM

None of my dates say April 1..... :lol:

BaylorCamaro 06-13-2014 08:48 AM

my knee is no where near the key fob / ignition..

Mean Green Z28 06-13-2014 08:48 AM

I'll keep my cool flip key. What else am I gonna play with when I'm bored?

2SS2010 06-13-2014 08:48 AM

I like my switchblade style key, I use it to thwart off would be car jackers. Not afraid to shank bitches with it either!! lol

BigBoyBlue 06-13-2014 08:50 AM

I'm not even bringing mine in for this. It's a waste of time and I don't want some knucklehead working on my car unnecessarily.

nickswe 06-13-2014 08:50 AM

I think I will ignore this update.

LuSe4 06-13-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS2010 (Post 7741039)
I like my switchblade style key, I use it to thwart off would be car jackers. Not afraid to shank bitches with it either!! lol

LOL, I have thought this same thing! I thought about sharpening the end of mine too! :pound:

KMPrenger 06-13-2014 08:54 AM

Wow...GM is definitely washing their hands of any possible recall issues they can find.

GM CEO Barra said there would be more recalls coming, and that GM would be taking a very proactive stance on these things now....so while I find this recall strange, its not surprising.

Not sure I'll be taking my car in for this one. I can't think of a time when my knee was even close to touching the fob.

Swacer 06-13-2014 08:54 AM

Ya, i'm not doing this. I respect GM for "trying to find a way" to say there is something wrong, but my knee is no where near my ignition, and I have no interest in an old school key.

DarthZL1 06-13-2014 08:56 AM

Oh for crying out loud. Really? Just a knee jerk reaction (HA! LITERALLY!) by GM because they're under fire anyhow. BS.

Nope. Not doing it.

bigd1276 06-13-2014 08:57 AM

No thanks. I'll pass.

Dustin.N 06-13-2014 08:58 AM

If I was getting a push button start I would take it in.

radametz 06-13-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro (Post 7741036)
my knee is no where near the key fob / ignition..

:word:

I'm 6'1" with long legs and sit pretty close to the steering wheel and can't think of a single time that I came close to hitting the ignition...

FenwickHockey65 06-13-2014 08:59 AM

So far the reaction across the board everywhere has been, "How in hell does someone's knee even reach the steering column in Camaro?!"

The paranoia is starting to become ridiculous.

MR.Sarge 06-13-2014 08:59 AM

Yeah NOT happening! Unless it's changing to a Push-to-Start system, I will keep my flip key. That's a downgrade, so not happening.

USCAMARO14 06-13-2014 09:00 AM

I guess I won't be going to the dealer anymore. I don't want to change my key. That would mean that I would have to go to ebay and buy a switch blade key all over again. Why do that when I already have the key.

qkslvr 06-13-2014 09:01 AM

500k camaros recalled

Anyone know range of years...

Cheveey57 06-13-2014 09:01 AM

You don't have to do it, I know I won't be.

Swacer 06-13-2014 09:02 AM

My only concern. If you don't go for the recall, can dealers refuse to do work on your car until its fulfilled?

USCAMARO14 06-13-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.Sarge (Post 7741064)
Yeah NOT happening! Unless it's changing to a Push-to-Start system, I will keep my flip key. That's a downgrade, so not happening.

Agree!!

Nate33 06-13-2014 09:03 AM

has happened to me...2x's

im 6-4 and knees close to steering column. First time...went to adjust position in seat and hit key and it shutoff. Not cool when going 75 in left lane on rt 78 in NJ

Swacer 06-13-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate33 (Post 7741083)
has happened to me...2x's

im 6-4 and knees close to steering column. First time...went to adjust position in seat and hit key and it shutoff. Not cool when going 75 in left lane on rt 78 in NJ

You literally hit the key? How do you do that?

I only have the key on a lanyard (nothing else on it), and I"m not close, and I"m 6'

LuSe4 06-13-2014 09:05 AM

It's kind of like when a dad finds out his kid was smoking and he makes him smoke an entire carton.

"Oh, you want a recalls, we will give you freaking recalls. How about a recall for leather seats that may burn your creamy thighs. We will be replacing all leather seats with live sheep with lots of soft wool to keep your tushy cool on those hot summer days."

or

"we will replace all engines with a bowl of guacamole to reduce accidents. Our internal investigations have revealed that accidents have been reduced by 98% once the "guacamole" recall has been performed."