Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ram-air Design Idea (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8348)

Kyle2k 10-16-2008 01:02 AM

Ram-air Design Idea

I hear a lot of people commenting on how the mail-slot is not functional. So..here is a rough idea of how (even you) could make it functional with some automotive supplies. Or for any engineers out there.

http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3ramairfy9.jpg

Milk 1027 10-16-2008 01:03 AM

nevermind I see it. Not a bad idea but i don't care for functional scoop.

Kyle2k 10-16-2008 01:04 AM

It would be some extra pluming, but it could bring some cool air to the intake.

TAG UR IT 10-16-2008 01:09 AM

I honestly don't think that little mail slot will do enough for the flow of air anyway. I think the main air intake would have to be behind the lower grill or upper grill... That slot...nope...too small.

Can't wait to see what SEMA has in store for us in that dept. You know that SOMEONE must have something ready to go!

Kyle2k 10-16-2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 160689)
I honestly don't think that little mail slot will do enough for the flow of air anyway. I think the main air intake would have to be behind the lower grill or upper grill... That slot...nope...too small.

Can't wait to see what SEMA has in store for us in that dept. You know that SOMEONE must have something ready to go!

Where it loses in height or girth or whatever you want to call it it makes up in length.

Lets assume the mail-slot is 1 inch tall and 12 inches long. So

A= L x W
12in^2 = 1in. x 12in

Whereas if it was a more traditional circular ram air, etc. with a 4in. diameter.

A= pi x r^2
12.56in^2 = 3.14 x 2^2

It only has half an inch less area to bring air in.

btw, it would be to just supplement the air filter, it could just funnel into the air box. (yet still bringing in cool air)

headpunter 10-16-2008 01:26 AM

if the car was forced induction i could see it working because it would actively be sucking air in, but naturally aspirated no way that hole will allow enough flow.

ShnOmac 10-16-2008 01:29 AM

QUOTE=headpunter;160713]if the car was forced induction i could see it working because it would actively be sucking air in, but naturally aspirated no way that hole will allow enough flow.[/QUOTE]

:word:

Kyle2k 10-16-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 160713)
if the car was forced induction i could see it working because it would actively be sucking air in, but naturally aspirated no way that hole will allow enough flow.

I don't see how it couldn't have enough flow. The internal combustion engine is a glorified air pump. Think about it, we have a 6.2 liter engine (mind you, receiving all the air through a 90mm throttle body) , so every 2 rotations of the crank of the engine, 6.2 liters of air is getting pulled in and compressed, ignited, and released. So even at a somewhat low rpm of 4000 (where you might expect to see gains from a ram air anyways) the engine will be rotating ~67 times a second. divide that by 2, because every second rotation it will bring in 6.2 liters. You will be sucking in ~208 liters of air EVERY SECOND.

I would appreciate an engineer or someone to chime in and correct any wrongs. But, it's getting late I think I will leave the rest for tomorrow lol

headpunter 10-16-2008 02:19 AM

when you impede the flow you are getting less density in the air charge.

Kyle2k 10-16-2008 02:20 AM

What flow are you impeding, this would supplement the air filter.

headpunter 10-16-2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 160754)
What flow are you impeding, this would supplement the air filter.

if you are doing it suplimentally it should i guess, i still want to reverse mount the hood and use hood pins to hold it down to allow for alot more room to cut out in that area.

Kyle2k 10-16-2008 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 160756)
if you are doing it suplimentally it should i guess, i still want to reverse mount the hood and use hood pins to hold it down to allow for alot more room to cut out in that area.

I agree that more room would also probably allow more room for a better design, but, the bottleneck all along the induction line by far is still the throttle body. It has a ~3.5in diameter. If my estimates for the mail-slot are correct. that is still ~2in less surface area for flow through the throttle body than it is through the mail slot.

swifttal 10-16-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 160697)
Where it loses in height or girth or whatever you want to call it it makes up in length.

She won't agree with you on that one pal... :(

Crowley 10-16-2008 07:27 AM

I would rather see something where you could get that slot to provide additional airflow over the radiator ..

Crowley