Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Popular Mechanics review of 2010 Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16220)

UCF w00t 03-21-2009 08:46 PM

Popular Mechanics review of 2010 Camaro

This was already posted by tran in the compilation thread but I was really looking forward to their review and found it really interesting. It should help ease some of the questions that have been going around as well.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4309166.html

The ending reaallly surprised me.

Quote:

The V8 version starts at $30,995 and the V6 at $22,995—tremendous bang for little green. It's hard to argue with this car's performance, style or refinement. Yes, refinement. In fact, the Camaro is almost too polished. It's abilities and confidence-inspiring nature are impressive, but we finished our time with the car wondering if the transformation from street fighter to gentleman left some of the soul out. Maybe we're overly nostalgic for older cars that were never this good. It's hard to knock a car with so few faults, but we want a Camaro with a little bad-ass in it. And in our brief time with the new one, we didn't find that. There's hope, however. Check out the hood budge. It provides plenty of room for the Corvette ZR1's supercharger. We bet 600 or more horsepower would make it plenty evil.
Did anyone else foresee reviewers thinking this car had too much refinement and not enough brunt force? Me thinks they're a bit jaded... 426hp 4.7sec 0-60... what's not street fighter about that?

Camarino 03-21-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 354466)
This was already posted by tran in the compilation thread but I was really looking forward to their review and found it really interesting. It should help ease some of the questions that have been going around as well.

Did anyone else foresee reviewers thinking this car had too much refinement and not enough brunt force? Me thinks they're a bit jaded... 426hp 4.7sec 0-60... what's not street fighter about that?

when i first saw the concept and production model i feared that about the for lack of better word "outsiders" but was alleviated when i saw the performance specs soo :iono: yea me thinks they're a bit jaded

CamaroSpike23 03-21-2009 08:54 PM

love PM

THE EVIL TW1N 03-21-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 354466)

they're basically talking about how the car FEELS. Maybe a louder exhaust or steering feel would have helped, I dunno. Maybe it does that 0-60 in 4.7 in a boring way. I know my car felt very unimpressive even though it was able to trap 110-111 as well when stock.

1camaro4me 03-21-2009 09:02 PM

WTF......

They either say it's too much a muscle car (like that's some unintended crime) or they say it isn't muscle enough.

This car is exactly what a 2010 muscle car should be. Don't you think that if the technology back in 1969 were what it is today that car would be pretty close to this one?

THE EVIL TW1N 03-21-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1camaro4me (Post 354501)
WTF......

They either say it's too much a muscle car (like that's some unintended crime) or they say it isn't muscle enough.

This car is exactly what a 2010 muscle car should be. Don't you think that if the technology back in 1969 were what it is today that car would be pretty close to this one?

it's not really a muscle car. it's a pony car.

UCF w00t 03-21-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 354498)
they're basically talking about how the car FEELS. Maybe a louder exhaust or steering feel would have helped, I dunno. Maybe it does that 0-60 in 4.7 in a boring way. I know my car felt very unimpressive even though it was able to trap 110-111 as well when stock.

Really? Then why would they say this and mention adding a supercharger if they were talking about sound/feel...

Quote:

Above 3500 rpm, the engine switches to the thunderous V8 we lusted after. The power curve is smooth; there's no hit as the revs climb, just an ever-growing roar and steadily increasing thrust all the way to the 6600-rpm redline.
And Muscle car, pony car, whatever. That's all semantics.

tjbusa 03-21-2009 09:25 PM

I'll definately want a little exhaust note below 3500, easily fixed. I am glad PM was able to give it a good test with a favorable review, and they want to do another, I would too :)

69 rs/ss 03-21-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1camaro4me (Post 354501)
WTF......

I agree. This car would beat any production 69 Camaro accept the COPO

eddiehaskell 03-21-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

We hit 100 mph in 10.74 seconds and the quarter-mile was dispatched in 13.02 seconds at 111.43 mph.
111.43 mph!!!!!!!!!! WOW.

blackZbandit 03-22-2009 01:45 AM

I liked this part after all the back and forth interior gripes. I tend to believe auto rags are poring over the Camaro's interior with an over-educated fine tooth comb and noticing things that your average driver wont. Who the **** scratches there IP to see if it's soft or hard? As long as it doesn't scream cheap, whcih people her have said it doesn't, I'm happy because I'm getting 400 horses (A6) of american power.

Quote:

Nestled in the wide and rather flat leather bucket seat, we took in the new dash. There's a lot of black plastic, especially across the passenger side. But this is as good as plastic gets, and at least the main gauges are artfully designed.

StarkyLuv 03-22-2009 07:36 AM

Not to offend ANYONE that has these feelings, but I find it extremely childish of people who use a car to enhance or replace their manhood.

Saying they want the car to feel more "bad ass" is saying that they think a car makes THEM "bad ass". This reeks of a childish insecurity. It reinforces all of the pony car stereotypes that a car is just a replacement for a man's penis and "the bigger the engine, the smaller the johnson".

I don't know, when so-called adults speak about "chewing up Mustangs" and being "bad ass" and all of that stuff, I just roll my eyes.

The Camaro is PLENTY "bad ass" this last sentence:

"It's hard to knock a car with so few faults, but we want a Camaro with a little bad-ass in it. And in our brief time with the new one, we didn't find that. There's hope, however. Check out the hood budge. It provides plenty of room for the Corvette ZR1's supercharger. We bet 600 or more horsepower would make it plenty evil."

That's something I expect some 22 year old who still brags about how drunk he got last night to say. Not grown, middle-aged men.

Mattsack789 03-22-2009 07:42 AM

OK, they're not saying that there is anything wrong with it. They probably just want a good way to end the article!!! They obviously enjoyed it.

cam2fst4u 03-22-2009 07:42 AM

:sm0:I think they forgot to mention they test flew the space shuttle right before test driving the camaro... I could see where that would make it appear not so exciting....lol :drinking: