Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Dash gauges not working and clicking noise (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26950)

Tigerrag24 06-11-2009 04:03 PM

Dash gauges not working and clicking noise

A couple of days ago my son ask why my speedometer wasnt working. I looked down and my digital speedometer was reading 60 but the analog speedometer was at ZERO. The tach was working. A little later the analog speedometer started spontaneously working but was about 4-5 mph slower than the digital speedometer and my GPS. After a stop and turning the car off it worked correctly. However, since then it has intermittently not worked for various lengths of time. Also, on a couple of occassions the tach, the digital speedometer, and the analog speedometer have not worked at the same time. There does not appear to be any pattern as to when they will not work and when the suddenly start working again.
Also, today I noticed that when I open the door there is a continuous clicking noise coming from behind the console (not from the back of the car as in other threads). This clicking last about 2-3 minutes and then stops. If I shut the door and reopen it the clicking starts again. It does this without puting the key in the ignition.
Has anyone else had the problem and does anyone else have a clue as to the fix???? I am calling the dealership tomorrow.

jr_hoyt 06-11-2009 04:06 PM

Warranty time! I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but YOU shouldn't have to with a new car... I doubt that the dealer would have an issue with it. Good luck!

Xmicro_SS 06-11-2009 04:17 PM

Sounds like the Gauge cluster may not be tightly fitted to the electrical harness. DEALER TIME. Don't let that go, electrical connections that are not solid can fry circuit boards. :confused0068:

Vash 06-11-2009 04:20 PM

Sounds like a relay is fried or going south. Take it to the shop.

Gentry78 06-11-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 575531)
Sounds like a relay is fried or going south. Take it to the shop.

+1 quickly before something bad happens and fries the harness

2SSRS@Gen5diy 06-11-2009 06:17 PM

Go to the dealer as soon as you can.

fbodfather 06-11-2009 09:54 PM

The needle in the speedometer needle may be 'bent' to where it's actually 'dragging' on the face of the speedometer......I know of two others (one on this site) that have the same problem. Supplier put the needle on too far --

FxsX24 06-11-2009 10:11 PM

the Fbodfather has spoken!

Dan 06-12-2009 08:55 AM

I know the GTOs had a problem with the needles on the gauges doing whatever they wanted but that was fixed with a simple reflash of the computer that controls all the stuff in the dash.

TomServo 06-12-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerrag24 (Post 575478)
A couple of days ago my son ask why my speedometer wasnt working. I looked down and my digital speedometer was reading 60 but the analog speedometer was at ZERO. The tach was working. A little later the analog speedometer started spontaneously working but was about 4-5 mph slower than the digital speedometer and my GPS. After a stop and turning the car off it worked correctly. However, since then it has intermittently not worked for various lengths of time. Also, on a couple of occassions the tach, the digital speedometer, and the analog speedometer have not worked at the same time. There does not appear to be any pattern as to when they will not work and when the suddenly start working again.
Also, today I noticed that when I open the door there is a continuous clicking noise coming from behind the console (not from the back of the car as in other threads). This clicking last about 2-3 minutes and then stops. If I shut the door and reopen it the clicking starts again. It does this without puting the key in the ignition.
Has anyone else had the problem and does anyone else have a clue as to the fix???? I am calling the dealership tomorrow.

Our dealer discovered a similar problem with my son's SS during PDI. They had to snag a new Instrument cluster (IC) off the assembly line and over night it so my son could take delivery the date on the new was 28 May 2009 which I had written down the P/N. A reflash wasn't the fix.

The dealer was originally going to remove one from a second SS they just received, but GM said that one too "fell into the same VIN range".

So this doesn't appear to be isolated and I'm betting more folks will experience this failure.

Suggest we record VIN's to see how why spread this is. My son's was 4486.

Good luck.

firstmate 06-13-2009 09:22 PM

I have had the zero issue with my speedometer too. It has happened 4 times. The first time it worked ok after I had stopped at my destination and restarted the car to leave again. Then today it did it again, but so far each time I have gotten back in the car and started it, it still sat at 0. As far as I know the digital speed is registering correctly and seems to work. The common denominator in my VIN and Tomservo's is the 86, mine is 2386. But I am sure that doesn't mean a thing. I called the dealer the first time and he said he never had heard anything about it being an issue for other people. I will have to call them Monday to let them know so they can see what to do. He did say he wanted to try reflashing the computer. I hope that is all it is!!!

Tigerrag24 06-14-2009 11:12 AM

Thanks for the responses. My VIN is #480. I took the car to the dealer but they could not reproduce the problem. They did call GM engineering ( or some similar place) and they had not heard of any similar problems. They did file some sort of case report and if it reoccurs I am to take it back. Interesting it hasnt happened again in almost a week. My dealer mentioned that when he got in his dealer car the samething appeared to happen but corrected when he fiddled with the menu button. This was probable a coincidence since I was never messing with my menu button or dash controls when it occured. Everyone who this happens to, even if just once, needs to take it to the dealer so that the extent of this problem can be realized and corrected.

diggermike62 06-23-2009 10:26 PM

Gauge cluster issue

I have a 2SS, I have an intermitent problem with the speedo also. It reads faster than I am actually going. I did take it back to the dealer, and they have ordered a new gauge cluster. problem is that the Camaro's are so new that the dealerships dont have the software for their diagnostic equipment to even look at them. I was told by my dealership that they are getting their programs updated this month. so looking into problemas will get easier as time goes on. Technology ita a wonderful thing.

diggermike62:cry: vin#3276

camarotoofast 06-24-2009 08:19 AM

Took mine to the dealer today lets see what happens. It seems it gets worse when its hot in the car.Texas heat sucks..