Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Dual radios (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309906)

Macario Marino 07-28-2013 11:23 PM

Dual radios

I am not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone seen or added an aftermarket single din radio and mounted it somewhere else on the car, the way im saying is keeping the stock head unit and adding a second one?

JimE 07-29-2013 12:52 AM

Aside from installation, how do you plan to connect everything? You can't have both units connected to the speakers at the same time. So you would need some kind of switch (obviously custom built) to switch between the units.

Sounds like a huge waste of time and money. Fix whatever is wrong with the current system, or replace it and start over.

Macario Marino 07-29-2013 08:49 AM

It's not that my current system is wrong it's just I dont want to replace the stock headunit just yet and wanted to know if it was possible to do the single din radio hidden somewhere else

SSMickey 07-29-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimE (Post 6832871)
Aside from installation, how do you plan to connect everything? You can't have both units connected to the speakers at the same time. So you would need some kind of switch (obviously custom built) to switch between the units.

Sounds like a huge waste of time and money. Fix whatever is wrong with the current system, or replace it and start over.

PAC makes a 2 or 3 source switch. There used all the time in car systems with video and/or game consoles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macario Marino (Post 6833393)
It's not that my current system is wrong it's just I dont want to replace the stock headunit just yet and wanted to know if it was possible to do the single din radio hidden somewhere else

You could hide it in the trunk or glove box, but controlling it will be a chore. The factory head unit is very capable. It has been proven in several extreme quality build. It's the amps and speakers that are less than desirable.

DraggnFrameGMC 07-29-2013 12:03 PM

Factory headunit works great for me. The only reason I could see changing it was for looks or a navigation upgrade. I do have an MS-8 running my system off the headunit.

Macario Marino 07-29-2013 10:23 PM

Only reason I want an aftermarket headunit is because I'm not to fond of the l.o.c id rather have the rca's plugged directly on the headunit and the fact that they have a subwoofer level option on them at least the one on my dads truck does but that's just me. Also will adding an aftermarket equalizer be a better option than adding a new head unit? Sorry for all the questions.

SSMickey 07-29-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macario Marino (Post 6836450)
Only reason I want an aftermarket headunit is because I'm not to fond of the l.o.c id rather have the rca's plugged directly on the headunit and the fact that they have a subwoofer level option on them at least the one on my dads truck does but that's just me. Also will adding an aftermarket equalizer be a better option than adding a new head unit? Sorry for all the questions.

I agree with you on the LOC as most are a POS. I think the best option is a processor like the Cleansweep by JL or the MS-8 by JBL. Very powerful EQ and high quality LOC in both. The MS-8 will allow you to time align your speakers to compensate for path length differences where as the Cleansweep won't. Also, the MS-8 as a built in 8 channel amp that can be used if needed, but you will pay for these features.

Macario Marino 08-06-2013 11:38 PM

I have temporarily fixed my problem all I did was download an equalizer application on my phone since I'm tight on budget right now this should do the trick for the moment until I have money to buy an equalizer it really make a big difference to have more control over the frequencies.

lfree11012 08-07-2013 05:46 PM

I would have to agree with Mickey A sound processor would help a lot. If it a bass knob you looking for look at the bit ten D. Or the bit one. I would stay away from two radio bigger pain then it worth. Also Rockford and jbl and jl have car audio sound processor. Of you can kick it old school and look up an Audio control for like $180 you will get great control with an 8volt out RCA

Macario Marino 08-07-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfree11012 (Post 6870436)
I would have to agree with Mickey A sound processor would help a lot. If it a bass knob you looking for look at the bit ten D. Or the bit one. I would stay away from two radio bigger pain then it worth. Also Rockford and jbl and jl have car audio sound processor. Of you can kick it old school and look up an Audio control for like $180 you will get great control with an 8volt out RCA

Can you give me an example of that audio control you mentioned?

lfree11012 08-08-2013 01:24 AM

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...tegration.html