Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Help! Speed Limited to 82mph (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274667)

GRRRSS 02-02-2013 07:42 AM

Help! Speed Limited to 82mph

Hi

I need some help here! But basically my car WILL NOT exceed 82mph no matter how hard i step on the gas. Instead power will be cut, and a warning on the dash saying "Speed Limited to 82mph". I contacted on star and they did a remote diagnostic but found no codes. Best part was the chevy customer assistant who told me that Chevrolet Technicians said the car is programed to be limited at 82mph.

This is the first time anything like this has happened since i have owned the vehicle. In fact just yesterday i know for a fact that i had went over 85mph because somehow everyone around me was cruising at that speed.

My car is completely stock except for a Borla S Type Catback exhaust. It is also a 6speed SS.

Help!

*Please note that i do not usually drive at those speeds, but overtaking on the highway sometimes require going above the speed limit.

pocketcthulhu 02-02-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRRRSS (Post 6113298)
Hi

I need some help here! But basically my car WILL NOT exceed 82mph no matter how hard i step on the gas. Instead power will be cut, and a warning on the dash saying "Speed Limited to 82mph". I contacted on star and they did a remote diagnostic but found no codes. Best part was the chevy customer assistant who told me that Chevrolet Technicians said the car is programed to be limited at 82mph.

This is the first time anything like this has happened since i have owned the vehicle. In fact just yesterday i know for a fact that i had went over 85mph because somehow everyone around me was cruising at that speed.

My car is completely stock except for a Borla S Type Catback exhaust. It is also a 6speed SS.

Help!

*Please note that i do not usually drive at those speeds, but overtaking on the highway sometimes require going above the speed limit.

WTF.....

if a tech told me it was limited to 82 Mph I would get arrested for headbutting him.
Sooo have you only talked to onstar? cause they are not exactly car people, just people sitting in cubes reading scripts Imo get that baby to a dealer ASAP.

And Not that I have tested it but I believe the nanny on the ss kicks in at 155 Not 82, I can vouch that it goes quite a bit past 82 mph in fact It will get Up to 88 Mph.....
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...imeMachine.png

grocerygetter 02-02-2013 07:55 AM

You can set that one. In the DIC.

pocketcthulhu 02-02-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grocerygetter (Post 6113316)
You can set that one. In the DIC.

negitive, your thinking of the speed WARNING, this strikes me as something wrong with the ecm.

MikeOD 02-02-2013 08:02 AM

I'll be up near Boston this afternoon...if you can't figure it out send me a PM and I'll scan it and see if I can figure out whats wrong.

The Blue Ox 02-02-2013 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=GRRRSS;6113298]Hi

Help!

:iono: I guess, your talking about an M6 or LS3! However, the auto has 6 speed also! A6 or L99! Just trying to help you out for future references!:D

Hope you get your Car straightened out!:chevy:

The Blue Ox 02-02-2013 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=pocketcthulhu;6113307]WTF.....

if a tech told me it was limited to 82 Mph I would get arrested for headbutting him.

:sm0:LMAO!!!:sm0:

dcoates18481 02-02-2013 10:23 AM

I can verify that with the stock GM tune, the 2SS will get a message speed limited to 155(mile racing)

some of the cars slated for rental use can have the speed limited to whatever they want.
it can be programmed in to whatever you want. by GM or aftermarket tuning devices.

GRRRSS 02-02-2013 12:58 PM

SOOO i just took my car out for lunch, and the limiter is gone!!!
LOL. I dont know what happened. I called ON star, and they said there are no errors whatsoever, and even with the limiter this morning, the car still pulled strong! :mad0259:

Just wanted to say thanks to all your guys for your help and advice! especially mike!

CHEERS!

steveo9043 02-02-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRRRSS (Post 6114138)
SOOO i just took my car out for lunch, and the limiter is gone!!!
LOL. I dont know what happened. I called ON star, and they said there are no errors whatsoever, and even with the limiter this morning, the car still pulled strong! :mad0259:

Just wanted to say thanks to all your guys for your help and advice! especially mike!

CHEERS!

did you buy new or used? Like stated when I rented a car in Florida my speed was limited at 82 as well. It was however built into the key and if I used the other key it didn't limit it. I don't know if this is a ford thing or a rental thing. Did you use a different key today then yesterday?

GRRRSS 02-02-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo9043 (Post 6114160)
did you buy new or used? Like stated when I rented a car in Florida my speed was limited at 82 as well. It was however built into the key and if I used the other key it didn't limit it. I don't know if this is a ford thing or a rental thing. Did you use a different key today then yesterday?

Used. But nope same key as always! I just got back from a 30 min highway run, and the car is perfectly fine again! i am not sure what threw the car in to that limited mode!

Chevrolet Customer Svc 02-06-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRRRSS (Post 6113298)
Hi

Help!

We apologize for the frustrations. I would get this checked out at a dealership for a proper diagnosis. Please let us know if you find the answer.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service