Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Survey: Your Oil & Filter (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325861)

2SSCAMARO 03-06-2014 05:16 PM

INDYDRIVER, I doubt there are but a few of the guys who choose aftermarket oil filters have a clue as to the specifications of their stock PF48 or the aftermarket filter they choose. In addition there are the guys who go with high volume or high pressure aftermarket pumps and couple them with smaller pore media filters and think because they are running synthetic oil they can rely on the DIC and when it says 10% oil life remaining, it's time to change oil. Then there are the guys who in addition to that, decide to run a heavier than 5w30 oil. Some of these guys could be driving with the filter bypass valve open , not even filtering the oil at all and not even know it. Before anyone decides to change pump pressures or volumes, choose oil filters, or run different weight oils, you should do some serious research. Attached is a couple links that may be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLhfAFhkvs

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-upf48r-4.html

Avenging Orange 03-06-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO (Post 7473694)
I do not make any inferences from toothpaste commercials or for a matter of fact, any commercials. They are misleading like this fact: Men pilots have more fatal crashes than women pilots!

Back to topic.....do I think some of the more popular brands were mentioned? The answer is yes, but.......what conclusions or inferences do you make from the data collected? Is one brand of oil or filter better than another? Is one weight oil better to use than another? If the "winning" combo of oil, weight, and filter is calculated based on the responses to the poll, is that the combo you will choose in the future?

Not to stir the pot...........But don't oil companies and filer makers make claims of being better than the other? 9 out of 10 Nascar driver prefer Penzoil :D I'm only guessing here, since the OP has yet to chime in, that they want to get a general idea of what most people prefer. And as stated, it seems the most popular (not necessarily the best) have been mentioned here. I find the thread interesting because I do like to see how many people are swayed into buying a product simply by what is advertised or because so n so says its best. Why I love reading the "oil"- "headers" threads..........fascinating.

2SSCAMARO 03-07-2014 05:58 AM

I agree totally. The purpose of my input to the thread was to dissuade potential followers to not just follow the polls and crowds. If you are going to use aftermarket filters with unknown specifications along with higher viscosity oils and push the oil change frequencies to the max, unintended consequences may be encountered. Problems with the check valves, pressure valves, and bypass valves can be encountered when the chosen filter, oil viscosity, and pressures are used in the wrong application.

SWAT 03-07-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO (Post 7474563)
INDYDRIVER, I doubt there are but a few of the guys who choose aftermarket oil filters have a clue as to the specifications of their stock PF48 or the aftermarket filter they choose. In addition there are the guys who go with high volume or high pressure aftermarket pumps and couple them with smaller pore media filters and think because they are running synthetic oil they can rely on the DIC and when it says 10% oil life remaining, it's time to change oil. Then there are the guys who in addition to that, decide to run a heavier than 5w30 oil. Some of these guys could be driving with the filter bypass valve open , not even filtering the oil at all and not even know it. Before anyone decides to change pump pressures or volumes, choose oil filters, or run different weight oils, you should do some serious research. Attached is a couple links that may be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLhfAFhkvs

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-upf48r-4.html

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Firefighter 03-07-2014 08:09 AM

I've run the same brands of oil and filter since I started driving 25 years ago. I've always stuck to Valvoline in the recommended viscosity and a Purolator filter. All my (and family) vehicles combined we've probably gone over 1.5 million miles and haven't blown a motor yet. Most of the cars got well into the 200K+ range. I have been using Synpowr on the good vehicles and the conventional or semi synthetic on the "beaters". Primarily I run the Purolator gold filter forget the name. Now I'm going to try the new Blue Synthetic filters for the Camaro. I'm comfortable that the motor will be tight as a drum when I hand the Camaro down to my son in about 10years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2SSCAMARO 03-07-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 7475885)
I've run the same brands of oil and filter since I started driving 25 years ago. I've always stuck to Valvoline in the recommended viscosity and a Purolator filter. All my (and family) vehicles combined we've probably gone over 1.5 million miles and haven't blown a motor yet. Most of the cars got well into the 200K+ range. I have been using Synpowr on the good vehicles and the conventional or semi synthetic on the "beaters". Primarily I run the Purolator gold filter forget the name. Now I'm going to try the new Blue Synthetic filters for the Camaro. I'm comfortable that the motor will be tight as a drum when I hand the Camaro down to my son in about 10years.

If the filter you have chosen, and it appears from your personal experience it does, has very similar specifications to the OEM filter and you didn't change the pump volume and pressure and didn't use a heavier weight oil than OEM and didn't run the oil at excessively long change intervals, you shouldn't have any problems. The problem with an improperly chosen filter not being able to keep up with the oil flow more than likely would not result in a blown motor as the bypass valve should open. The result then would be similar to not running any filter at all and allowing the contaminants to circulate freely through the engine.

2SSCAMARO 03-07-2014 09:02 AM

You are welcome SWAT

Firefighter 03-07-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO (Post 7476038)
If the filter you have chosen, and it appears from your personal experience it does, has very similar specifications to the OEM filter and you didn't change the pump volume and pressure and didn't use a heavier weight oil than OEM and didn't run the oil at excessively long change intervals, you shouldn't have any problems. The problem with an improperly chosen filter not being able to keep up with the oil flow more than likely would not result in a blown motor as the bypass valve should open. The result then would be similar to not running any filter at all and allowing the contaminants to circulate freely through the engine.

Agreed... that was posted before the coffee kicked in. I was trying to be supportive of your point but after rereading that I was far from clear.

Apparently in my old age (41 Ha!) lack of caffeine can be almost as bad as drunk posts... lol

ClawSS 03-07-2014 09:58 AM

Oil nerds usually go here: Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forum

Badger 03-07-2014 10:21 AM

Does anyone know what the part # is on the new Purolator Synthetic filter (V8)..They do not even list it in their application guide on their website...:bonk:

Nevermind...called the 800 # part# is PSL 12222 if anyone is interested.... Oh and Joe Gibbs LS30 for oil:thumb:

1KillerSS 03-07-2014 11:53 AM

I use either RP 5w-30 or mobile 1 5w-30 depending on whats onsale and always use a K&N oil filter. i have cut a few apart and there pretty similar for the most part yet the K&N seemed to have much denser paper in it hence better filtering quality

when it was under warranty i used the AC-Delco filter

Firefighter 03-07-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger (Post 7476254)
Does anyone know what the part # is on the new Purolator Synthetic filter (V8)..They do not even list it in their application guide on their website...:bonk:

Nevermind...called the 800 # part# is PSL 12222 if anyone is interested.... Oh and Joe Gibbs LS30 for oil:thumb:

If you look through Purolator's application list the number is the same for all of them. They just change the prefix letters.

BooSSted 03-08-2014 08:23 PM

Valvoline VR1 10W30 / AC Delco

Indydriver 03-20-2014 03:14 AM

Here's where I buy my filters. They have a handy comparison chart of construction features. Wix are well built filters by a reputable company that's been in the business a long time. I've used them alongside Purolater and OEs and had good results. Keep in mind that no OE makes their own filters. They are all private label by one of the principle filter manufacturers. I am completely confident and content in my choice of filters.

As you will see here, the ACDelco filter has taken some cost cutting moves in its physical construction. I very strongly agree with earlier posters who are saying all filters are not made the same--do your homework.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/compariso...co-filter.html

B-_-RAD 03-20-2014 11:31 AM

Driven racing oil ls30 and a wix filter

TXM62SS 03-20-2014 12:06 PM

Joe Gibbs LS30 and K&N