Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   To mod or not to mod? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90445)

nachocheese 06-19-2010 09:54 AM

To mod or not to mod?

Okay, I would like some opinions. I have a 1LT A6 stock except an Airaid V2. First let me admit that I am not as thrilled with the car as many are here. I have realized I should have sprung for the V8 and probably should have gotten a manual too. With the depreciation on my car, I'm looking at 8-10K to get into a V8. Until we sell our house, I can't spend that much money. So, I could be looking at a year or more before I can really fix the situation.

So....

My question is whether I should bother with exhaust modifications or other things to improve my car. On the one hand it might make me happier with it until I can move up. On the other hand, modifications can't completely change the character of a car, they can really just tweak/hone/amplify its inherent character. So I might just be polishing the proverbial turd (not that the V6 Camaro is a turd, but the metaphor works for my situation). Furthermore, a couple of thousand in mods could = a couple months more wait to get the car I want.

Any thoughts?:iono::yikes:

mrray13 06-19-2010 09:57 AM

That's a tough one. Although performance might not change much, a quality axleback will at least change the tone, and might ease the issue. And they can be had fairly inexpensively, so maybe your wait for the SS won't be as long.

Also, why not go ahead and shop around. I'm sure there's a dealership or two wanting a good used v6 Camaro on the lot, and might be willing to help you out.

YLWJKT 06-19-2010 09:58 AM

IMO if you're going to trade up I'd leave it alone and put that money towards the future purchase.
The mods you've done so far are minor and can easily put back to stock, plus you'll seldom get back the money you put into a car at resale time.

nachocheese 06-19-2010 10:02 AM

I probably should start shopping some. The dealers here are not very good to work with. Some of them are still marking up the SS quite a bit. There are probably only 10 SS Camaros on lots within 50 miles of me, so they won't really deal much. Might be worth a try though.

nachocheese 06-19-2010 10:07 AM

I have also thought about whether I should just hold out for some refreshes on the 2012 or even longer for the 6th generation. If I am going to take a loss, maybe I should make the most of it. Then again, that is a long time to wait!

KMPrenger 06-19-2010 04:50 PM

Hrm...if your set on trading up then that does leave you with a few options.

For around 400 bucks, you could get a nice sounding exhaust....for example the flowmaster axle-back, or do what I did and go with custom magnaflow mufflers, tips, and have a shop install them. Then at least you will have great sound without so much money, and be done with it. In your case, thats probably the only option I'd consider.

If you want to get into an SS as soon as possible, then go find yourself a good used one.

If your dead set on a brand new car, as hard as it may be, I'd wait to see what happens for 2012. We are voicing our opinions, and GM seems to be listening, as it sounds like the interior may get re-worked a bit. But imagine if they do some other great things like some weight reduction (doubtful) or give us gearing options? I'm sure if you was wanting brand new, you wouldn't want to miss out on that!

nachocheese 06-19-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 2003883)
Hrm...if your set on trading up then that does leave you with a few options.

For around 400 bucks, you could get a nice sounding exhaust....for example the flowmaster axle-back, or do what I did and go with custom magnaflow mufflers, tips, and have a shop install them. Then at least you will have great sound without so much money, and be done with it. In your case, thats probably the only option I'd consider.

If you want to get into an SS as soon as possible, then go find yourself a good used one.

If your dead set on a brand new car, as hard as it may be, I'd wait to see what happens for 2012. We are voicing our opinions, and GM seems to be listening, as it sounds like the interior may get re-worked a bit. But imagine if they do some other great things like some weight reduction (doubtful) or give us gearing options? I'm sure if you was wanting brand new, you wouldn't want to miss out on that!

I definitely agree that buying a new 2011 doesn't make sense for me when the 2012's may be a little nicer. I would definitely go for a used 1SS, but all the dealers in SC are selling them at or above MSRP. It seems kind of ridiculous that they want sticker price for cars with miles on them. I'm sure some people could haggle them down, but I know I am not too good at that.

I'm starting to think about an axle back that I can install myself and won't be too loud. So confusing.

Agent Atomic Orange 06-19-2010 06:38 PM

Why aren't you happy with your V6?

nachocheese 06-19-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Atomic Orange (Post 2004095)
Why aren't you happy with your V6?

I'd like to say that what other people think doesn't matter, but I admit that plays a role. Mainly I just can't get into the lack of low end power. Don't get me wrong, it scoots once you are above 3K RPMs, but when you ease on the throttle in 5th or 6th gear, it feels very anemic. Let me say that part of my issue is having an auto. When I am cruising along at 45 and go to pass someone, I have about a half second of no power followed by a surge forward as it downshifts. I just doesn't make for confident driving. I suspect that I would not have as much of an issue if I had a manual since I would not be in 5th or 6th much off the highway. I have tried using the tapshift, but it makes me feel like I am playing nintendo while driving.

Has anyone else noticed that the excitement about the V6 is dying down? Seems like at first it was a "high tech, modern" engine that we all thought had huge potential. Now it seems like modifications have very minimal effect on performance and forced induction is seeming like a pipe dream. It probably doesn't help that if you used every available modification for the V6 Camaro (short of nitrous), you could barely keep up with a stock 2011 Mustang V6.

Sorry for the long answer.

Brownhornitt 06-19-2010 09:44 PM

Long answers are cool. More to learn with them.

As for your situation, here is what I would do. I would bolt/clamp a nice sounding axel-back system on your current V6 to tide you over (it won't, but it will help). I have the Flowmaster AMT, and I love it. Keep your stock mufflers (mine are up in the attic). Hang with your car for one calendar year. When the 2012s are being ordered in June of next year, order the exact car you want. I assume a SIM 1SS RS manual. Remove the Airaid and put the stock intake back on your V6 (assuming you kept it). Have someone weld your stock exhaust back on your V6, and trade in your V6 when your 2012. And you can sell the used Flowmaster system and Airaid combo here or on Craigslist/Ebay for a couple hundred dollars. Drive away smiling in your brand new, reworked interior, 2012 manual V8 Camaro.

I know it's not the best solution. But I believe it's a good one that takes into account all of your current factors. Good luck.

bhut 06-19-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nachocheese (Post 2004414)
I'd like to say that what other people think doesn't matter, but I admit that plays a role. Mainly I just can't get into the lack of low end power. Don't get me wrong, it scoots once you are above 3K RPMs, but when you ease on the throttle in 5th or 6th gear, it feels very anemic. Let me say that part of my issue is having an auto. When I am cruising along at 45 and go to pass someone, I have about a half second of no power followed by a surge forward as it downshifts. I just doesn't make for confident driving. I suspect that I would not have as much of an issue if I had a manual since I would not be in 5th or 6th much off the highway. I have tried using the tapshift, but it makes me feel like I am playing nintendo while driving.

Has anyone else noticed that the excitement about the V6 is dying down? Seems like at first it was a "high tech, modern" engine that we all thought had huge potential. Now it seems like modifications have very minimal effect on performance and forced induction is seeming like a pipe dream. It probably doesn't help that if you used every available modification for the V6 Camaro (short of nitrous), you could barely keep up with a stock 2011 Mustang V6.

Sorry for the long answer.

I've got the manual, which makes up for the lack of bottom end grunt. I purposely got the manual with the v6 because of the better rear end and the ability to control my own destiny. Want to pass when you're doing 70? I drop it from 6th to 3rd and stand on it. In 3rd, it'll run right to triple digits. Of the people I've had in the passenger seat when the devious angel wispers in my ear and I let 'er rip, no one has told me what a weak-knee'd 6 it is.

FI will become a reality for this engine, even if it takes us waiting on the factory to pull it off. Fuel economy stardards are going to be a big issue, even for hot ticket cars like Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers. I'd expect to see a FI DI 3.6 in the next gen SS, with a v8 reserved for Z28, Corvette and CTS-V duty (lower production numbers).

67 GTO 06-19-2010 10:03 PM

Man you need to get into a V8. I don't think you'll ever be happy with the six. I too have questioned why I got the six in the first place but everytime I drive my car it reaffirms that I made the right choice. I just don't need the extra power that I'll never use in everyday driving. My car is plenty fast for that.

I enjoy tinkering around with my mouse motor with the V6'ers here to see what I can get out of it at the track. I compete with other cars in my class, I don't need to beat a V8 nor be as fast.

All that said, I'll be keeping an eye open when the Z hits the showroom. :)

nachocheese 06-19-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownhornitt (Post 2004592)
Long answers are cool. More to learn with them.

As for your situation, here is what I would do. I would bolt/clamp a nice sounding axel-back system on your current V6 to tide you over (it won't, but it will help). I have the Flowmaster AMT, and I love it. Keep your stock mufflers (mine are up in the attic). Hang with your car for one calendar year. When the 2012s are being ordered in June of next year, order the exact car you want. I assume a SIM 1SS RS manual. Remove the Airaid and put the stock intake back on your V6 (assuming you kept it). Have someone weld your stock exhaust back on your V6, and trade in your V6 when your 2012. And you can sell the used Flowmaster system and Airaid combo here or on Craigslist/Ebay for a couple hundred dollars. Drive away smiling in your brand new, reworked interior, 2012 manual V8 Camaro.

I know it's not the best solution. But I believe it's a good one that takes into account all of your current factors. Good luck.

I'm thinking this will be my plan. Thanks.