Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Give us hideaway / flip lights GM! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810)

Bruno 09-15-2006 02:32 PM

Give us hideaway / flip lights GM!

Oh man before I saw this picture I didn't even think how hideaway lights would work or look on the new camaro.. but it looks absolutely amazing to me. :eyebulge:

I wish I had the ears of someone high-up at GM.. I'd annoy him until he made this part of the camaro.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/c5a.jpg

Moose 09-15-2006 02:50 PM

They look awesome. :thumbsup:

But, I don't expect to see them on a production version. Reasons: cost, and weight. I've heard weight is an "issue" with the concept, and I think GM would avoid any unnecessary weight, no matter how little it may be.

Twin Turbo 09-15-2006 03:32 PM

Oh, yes! Yes yes yes yes yes!!!

Is there any legistalive reason why that couldn't be done? I know pop-up lights are now banned, but these "flip lights" are flipping awesome.

:w00t:

MarkLS2 09-15-2006 06:15 PM

This is a must have !!:clap:

matthewmiller01 09-15-2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo (Post 1421)
Oh, yes! Yes yes yes yes yes!!!

Is there any legistalive reason why that couldn't be done? I know pop-up lights are now banned, but these "flip lights" are flipping awesome.

:w00t:

Pop ups are now banned? WTF? I never heard this.

KILLER74Z28 09-15-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmiller01 (Post 1426)
Pop ups are now banned? WTF? I never heard this.

He is talking about Europe. TWIN is from England.

TAG UR IT 09-16-2006 12:55 AM

:drool: And if GM does not make this an option, some lucky aftermarket company will get the suckers built and sell'em like hotcakes. I WANT THE HIDEAWAYS!!!:drool:

Bruno 09-16-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 1430)
:drool: And if GM does not make this an option, some lucky aftermarket company will get the suckers built and sell'em like hotcakes. I WANT THE HIDEAWAYS!!!:drool:

Anyone here have the technical knowledge to make such a thing? Those of us that don't can contribute capital and get rich ! ;)

Twin Turbo 09-16-2006 10:22 AM

Yeah, sorry guys......pop-up lights are now a no-no in Europe, on brand new cars, that is. In fact, the C5 Vette was the last car sold in Europe with pop-ups, the Ferrari 456 prior to that.

Are there any cars in the US that are still sold with pop-ups?

Here's another rendering along similar lines:

http://www.americancamaro.org/images.../camaro_RS.jpg

:)

boxmonkeyracing 09-16-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo (Post 1441)

Here's another rendering along similar lines:

http://www.americancamaro.org/images.../camaro_RS.jpg

:)

OMG I'M IN LOVE WITH THAT CAR!!! just needs a Univeristy of Tennessee windshield banner on it. if they offer that color and stripe setup I will probably end up getting it. if not black with black aftermarket wheels and tinted windows. but omg I love that car

Twin Turbo 09-16-2006 04:27 PM

I still think black is the way to go. Black, silver stipes, smoked titanium wheels and FLIP LIGHTS! :bow:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...2&d=1155006840

matthewmiller01 09-17-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 (Post 1427)
He is talking about Europe. TWIN is from England.

Gotcha.

BlacLac02 09-18-2006 07:05 AM

whats the deal with pop up lights not being allowed. they work. they show light at night. thats gay . but yeah i really like the hideaways.

Twin Turbo 09-18-2006 11:26 AM

All to do with our stupid European pedestrian safety laws. Also, pop-ups ruin your aerodynamics when raised, which is, I guess, why the Corvette racers have faired in lights.

Moose 09-18-2006 12:24 PM

Hideaways v. not, I don't care. :) That car looks awesome either way. :bow:

2001ragtop 09-18-2006 12:46 PM

like someone else said, aftermarket companies will make retractable headlight covers.

i agree flip-open headlight doors probably won't become a real production order option due to costs/bean counting, etc. perhaps a different styled grille might be available though.

BlacLac02 09-18-2006 06:48 PM

yeah but it doesnt matter how much you think its going to cost or if you can or cant afford it. the thing that counts is if they even offer it. it gives you the option to have it if you want it or not. no it wont be a standard item but an option wouldnt hurt anyone. if you dont like something dont get it. thats the nice thing about having options it keeps all the cars different and gives you what you want and what you dont want

TAG UR IT 09-19-2006 12:39 AM

I would love to see numerous options. It gives us the chance to customize our Camaro before it's even delivered. Hell, when I special ordered my 02 Z28, I think pretty much all the options were bulked together in one package where in the 01' and 00' models, you got to choose. There might have been 10 options total to choose from on the 02's. GM is not going to offer up endless options to choose from. That'll be where GMPP comes in. Just hope the drivetrain is strong enough w/ that IRS, that they give it plenty of performance/handling, and they don't screw w/ that appearance too much.

BlacLac02 09-19-2006 06:48 AM

yeah, im not too sure aboutthat irs. i dont really know anything about it and i dont know why they would do that after having a solid rear end.

BlacLac02 09-19-2006 06:49 AM

at least its not front wheel drive

boxmonkeyracing 09-19-2006 08:11 AM

from what I understand IRS is great for road courses. while solid axels are great for drags. so yea. that's what I know. lol or learned.

TAG UR IT 09-19-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing (Post 1500)
from what I understand IRS is great for road courses. while solid axels are great for drags. so yea. that's what I know. lol or learned.

Ditto. Tha't what I've heard. If you're dragging, you want a solid axle. But for everyday driving anround town, which is what we are going to be doing 99% of the time in this car, IRS is the ONLY way to go. It is supposed to be awesome for road courses.

Moose 09-19-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 1501)
But for everyday driving anround town, which is what we are going to be doing 99% of the time in this car, IRS is the ONLY way to go.

Agreed 100% :thumbsup:

Bruno 09-25-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001ragtop (Post 1480)
like someone else said, aftermarket companies will make retractable headlight covers.

i agree flip-open headlight doors probably won't become a real production order option due to costs/bean counting, etc. perhaps a different styled grille might be available though.

You really think so? What if the lights are designed in a way that it's just cost prhobitive to replace them with some sort of retractable system. Man I hope not. I have that photoshop of the retracted headlights burned in my head. :eyebulge:

yourbassist 09-25-2006 07:32 PM

You have to remember that adding options adds costs for GM. It's not like they can offer an unlimited amount of things. They still have to produce the cars and the more options they create the less streamlined the process becomes and the more it costs them and us. That aside, I'd love to have the flip-ups.

TAG UR IT 09-25-2006 11:29 PM

I don't know who super chevy was talking to, but in that column it said they were told that the option of retractable headlights would be a "customer dissatisfaction". The probability of the headlight covers failing and not retracting to the covers not lining up properly could cause a major potential headache for GM's warranty guys. I see them scraping that idea completely. Believe me, they are etched in my mind too. Personally, I love'em!

Twin Turbo 09-26-2006 11:30 AM

Just as some companies are producing aftermarket "angel eye" headlights for cars, such as the Mustang, I see no reason flip lights couldn't be produced in the same manor.

Personally, I'd like them to be standard, or at least an option on the RS/SS model.

And yep, that image of the 3 Camaros is etched on my brain too. Those flips rock :thumbup:

t_wade 09-26-2006 04:45 PM

Hey, the hideaway headlights do look great, but how many old cars have you seen with the lights flipped up even when they are not turned on. I don't currently have any preference on the issue, as long as the lights work when it gets dark, and I'm driving a camaro with some ponies under the hood.

boxmonkeyracing 09-26-2006 06:25 PM

well that's most of the time just the motor going out and that's usually cheap and easy to fix. just people won't fix it. . .they are lazy.

CMCVette 09-26-2006 10:57 PM

Bring on the hideaways! Love 'em on my vette - in the "real world," no way do pop-ups detract from performance, & they look awesome. At least let's hope GM will consider them as an option. However, I must agree that the car looks awesome with or without them ~ but PLEASE, GM, give us HIDs at an option, regardless!

Bruno 10-16-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMCVette (Post 1733)
Bring on the hideaways! Love 'em on my vette - in the "real world," no way do pop-ups detract from performance, & they look awesome. At least let's hope GM will consider them as an option. However, I must agree that the car looks awesome with or without them ~ but PLEASE, GM, give us HIDs at an option, regardless!

This day in age most enthusiast type cars are at least offered with HID as options. I think we'll get it with the new Camaro too.

Casull 10-16-2006 02:46 PM

i dunno about that look. I think I would have to actually see how it looks in person before nmaking a decision; however, if they offer the halos as standard equipment then there is no way i'd want the hideaways. IMO nothing beats the mean look of those halos!

Friday13th 10-18-2006 10:52 AM

Someone will build them.

How hard could it be? A piece of plastic to cover the light, a hinge to mount it and a linear actuator wired to your headlight switch.

When you turn your headlights on, the door opens and the lights are on, When the lights are off in the day, the door stays closed.

ENOUGH SAID, MAKE THEM AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!

WildKatB 10-19-2006 02:08 AM

I love the look of the hide-away headlights on my '69 but... they dont work :( . Mine uses vacuum to open and close and has worked only once since I've owned it. Every RS owner I know has the same problem whether the light's doors are vacuum or electric-motor driven. I've had the set-up rebuilt 2x without luck. A guy I know who shows his '69 Camaro keeps the doors open and unplugged until showtime so they'll (hopefully) work when the judge is looking at the car. I totally understand GM's concern about 'customer satisfaction' problems. However, I did see a rendering of a possible 2009 Camaro convertable styled after the '69 Pace Car - white, orange stripes, hidden headlights - :thumbsup: GORGEOUS!

Moose 10-19-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildKatB (Post 2412)
I love the look of the hide-away headlights on my '69 but... they dont work :( . Mine uses vacuum to open and close and has worked only once since I've owned it. Every RS owner I know has the same problem whether the light's doors are vacuum or electric-motor driven. I've had the set-up rebuilt 2x without luck. A guy I know who shows his '69 Camaro keeps the doors open and unplugged until showtime so they'll (hopefully) work when the judge is looking at the car. I totally understand GM's concern about 'customer satisfaction' problems. However, I did see a rendering of a possible 2009 Camaro convertable styled after the '69 Pace Car - white, orange stripes, hidden headlights - :thumbsup: GORGEOUS!

WildKatB your reasons are pretty much why the new Camaro doesn't have hideaways...possible problems with operation, as well as new customers complainig "They aren't aligned properly", etc. GM went with a good, clean looking design and avoided possible "issues" down the road. :thumbsup:

TAG UR IT 10-19-2006 05:28 PM

If they could build reliable hideaways, I'd take them in a heartbeat. We are in a day and age where "reliable" is very possible.

KILLER74Z28 10-19-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 2443)
If they could build reliable hideaways, I'd take them in a heartbeat. We are in a day and age where "reliable" is very possible.

I agree, the reliability of most vehicle systems has changed substantially from the 60’s and 70’s. The hidaways just need to be designed RTFT (Right The First Time)… :thumbsup:

LowRider 10-20-2006 09:11 AM

I can't agree more the Hide away headlights should be offered again.

Friday13th 10-26-2006 08:52 AM

Reliability shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I would hope that they would lean away from the vaccum systems that they used before.

I have a buddy that I helped change his hideaways and they work to this day.

Again, a linear actuator is the best answer in my opinion. A lot of folks use these for opening hoods, trunk lids, tonneau covers, amp racks, etc...

Plus, you can wire these to a remote control and you can open them at shows or whenever you want to show off.

You can also wire it into your parking/headlight switch and have it turn on and off automatically.

Easiest analogy I can give you is a retractable, power antenna. Think how the antenna is hidden and then when the power is supplied to the radio, the antenna rises. Likewise, when the power is turned off, the antenna folds back down.

I think it's easy enough.:thumbsup:

They will build them!!!!!!!!!!! No reason not to. If they don't, an aftermarket company will.

Moose 10-26-2006 08:54 AM

My bet; an aftermarket company may offer them. I highly doubt they'll come from GM that way. :iono: