Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   2SS or 2LT? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54218)

101ABN 11-28-2009 10:48 PM

2SS or 2LT?

I am ordering my Camaro soon and I have been agonizing over this decision.

I was raised as Ford man but I have always appreciated the beauty of the early Camaros. My first car was a '79 Mustang LX with a 5.0 and I used to bust the ass of my high school friends with '87-'91 GTs off the line.

I found the "reinvention" of the Camaro to be too gorgeous to pass up. I have decided on buying a new 2LT but I am left wondering if the $6,000 price & performance difference between a 2SS and a similarliy equipped 2LT will leave me wanting the 2SS in a year or 2.

What does everyone think? The opinions of owners are greatly apprciated. Has anyone had the LT over SS regret? :iono:

bluecamaroguy 11-28-2009 11:06 PM

The power for the v6 if fine with me. I don't race or anything. And I didn't want to pay extra for gas or insurance.

The only thing I wished was that my v6 sounded like a v8. But that's a tradeoff I was willing to take.

PieNsky 11-28-2009 11:20 PM

I drive 130 miles a day and my Camaro is my daily driver. I am just going to trash it with that many miles and needed the best possible mpgs too so I have the V6. That LS3 is so sweet. It comes down to what you really want.

ChriSS84 11-28-2009 11:37 PM

2SS for me.. I did not want to be one of those people that got the 2LT and wished I had gotten the SS so I went with the SS from the get go...

101ABN 11-28-2009 11:59 PM

Blue,Pie,...

That's where I think I am. It will be a daily driver and living in the D.C. area, i don't really know where I could possibly open it up anyway so the higher mpgs is a plus.

101ABN 11-29-2009 12:00 AM

Cash84,

That's what I am afraid of... being "that guy" (wished I had an SS)

KMPrenger 11-29-2009 12:06 AM

If you have the money and you really want the SS then go for it, but if you think you wont be racing or burning the tires off your Camaro then the LT is plenty. (Well the LT can do that too! lol)

I could have gone SS, but after the hours upon hours of research spent here, and test driving a 2LT (which you should do!) I quickly decided the LT was all I needed to be happy. The car may not put you back in the seat as hard as the SS but the LT is far from being a slouch. Check over these V6 threads and you will see guys are getting into the low 14s quarter mile (and with a few more easy mods they will likely break into the 13s) and guys are also getting into the 5 second range on their 0-60 runs. If you can live with that then the LT is for you.

I agree with bluecamaroguy in that I wish I had that V8 sound, and I could have gone with an SS but in the end I decided I didn't need to spend another 6 grand just so I can brag that my car has another 100 horses. 300+ horses and one very FINE lookin car is enough to keep me smiling.

joerod97 11-29-2009 01:04 AM

Cash 84 hit it on the head. SS 4 me, but you really cant go wrong with the 2LT, I ordered 2Lt but changed at last second to SS. I just love any Camaro ....period. Go with your gut.. as long as you get one.

97one 11-29-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101ABN (Post 1225058)
I am ordering my Camaro soon and I have been agonizing over this.
I found the "reinvention" of the Camaro to be too gorgeous to pass up. I have decided on buying a new 2LT but I am left wondering if the $6,000 price & performance difference between a 2SS and a similarliy equipped 2LT will leave me wanting the 2SS in a year or 2.
What does everyone think? The opinions of owners are greatly apprciated. Has anyone had the LT over SS regret? :iono:

From the little you said I would say get the 2SS.
It looks like you are going to keep the car for at least a few yrs. And if you are thinking about it NOW, in a yr. or 2 you will be wanting the 2ss.....IMO

As for me I wanted the 2SS...BUT I was not going to pay thousands OVER sticker (or wait months) for it . That's was 6 mos. ago !
Things are different now.
I planned on keeping my LT till next yr. then ordering a 2SS.
I now will NOT do that, because there is not a big difference in performance or looks between the 2LT & the 2SS....
ALSO I am VERY happy with the performance of my LT.....:thumbsup: for now and untill the Z28 is released.............
I will wait till the Z28 comes out and order one, I will not mind waiting months for it because I have a Camaro now.
It will have a Large diff. in performance,( over 500HP) And hopefully a supercharger, which is what I really like.

:chevy:

tradosaurus 11-29-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101ABN (Post 1225058)
I am ordering my Camaro soon and I have been agonizing over this decision.

I was raised as Ford man but I have always appreciated the beauty of the early Camaros. My first car was a '79 Mustang LX with a 5.0 and I used to bust the ass of my high school friends with '87-'91 GTs off the line.

If you can afford it get the 2SS. I won't be a year or two but a few months when you will regret not getting the 2SS.

If I could have afforded it I would have got the 2SS.

Merc 11-29-2009 11:21 AM

2SS

Although I only drive it 6 months of the year for pleasure. 2SSRS M6 all the way. Simply exciting when you push the pedal to the floor!:thumbsup::yikes:

kjd15 11-29-2009 11:37 AM

The 2LT has so many options, I didn't see a need to spend the extra money on the SS. The pick-up is great on the V-6. Yeah, the sound is a little dull, but that can be remedied with a different exhaust. It's very peppy. I do not regret not getting an SS at all.

MustangConvert 11-29-2009 11:43 AM

With the extra cost of gas, insurance, and total cost of vehicle; for me I know I made the right decision with going with the V6. BUT I still yearn to have the V8 power from time to time when I do get a chance to step on it. Once the Camaro is paid off, I can always add a turbo or SC in it to make up that power.

carguy50 11-29-2009 11:46 AM

Lovin it!

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta love the 2SS/RS. Be all you can be and step up. You will never be disappointed. You only live once!!!