Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Red light in my mirror? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297649)

BAD ZL1 05-25-2013 03:29 AM

Red light in my mirror?

What is the red light in my rear view mirror? And no, its not the cops...

I have seen it at least 1/2 a dozen times. My eyes are not the best at up close viewing, but it looks like it is smack dab in the middle of my mirror, its red, and I think it says ON! It comes and goes. Its not the white air bag icon on the left, its not the blue onstar icon, and its not the red SOS on the right hand side. Its above the blue onstar icon in the center of the mirror. I have the framless 2013 mirror without the backup camera. :noidea: Like I said, its doesnt show up very often, and when it does, it turns back off:noidea: The times I have seen it I have been driving....

tramtwo 05-25-2013 03:36 AM

poke around... a lot of the 2013 MY cars have an issue with onstar... the red light is a sign with an exclamation point through it.... just means that the onstar has lost its signal... may be time for a trip to the dealer.

EDIT: http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/26/7udypage.jpg

BAD ZL1 05-25-2013 03:44 AM

Thank you, thats the alarm I see from time to time. My onstar was canceled after 6 months because I didnt use it at all and I just let it go. I know that the idea is to not use it, and its there if you need it. I am old school I guess, I have a phone, I print out my maps etc. But thank you very much for the quick response.

Math 05-25-2013 08:10 AM

fyi with the zl1 i think you get a year of service for free.

BAD ZL1 05-25-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Math (Post 6587090)
fyi with the zl1 i think you get a year of service for free.

They started charging me after 6 months, and I didn't bother to see what the window sticker said. Maybe its like the mistake made with the XM when they shorted some people. All I know is I got my money back, I never authorized the charge, and all the emails from onstar stopped. My onstar light has been blue the entire time. I only touch it by mistake when I adjust the mirror. lol

Hercules 05-25-2013 09:44 AM

It was 6 months for onstar and a year for siruis. You can also check with your insurance company. Depending who you have you may get a discount. State Farm gives me more of a discount for having onstar, because it keeps track of everything, than the onstar actually costs. I did not renew with the nav. but I kept the minimal. The price on line was cheaper the any of the mailed info. I was also told that if you call they will bring down the price. Hope this helps

ZL1-V 05-25-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 (Post 6587143)
They started charging me after 6 months, and I didn't bother to see what the window sticker said. Maybe its like the mistake made with the XM when they shorted some people. All I know is I got my money back, I never authorized the charge, and all the emails from onstar stopped. My onstar light has been blue the entire time. I only touch it by mistake when I adjust the mirror. lol

I did the same thing. I learned from my previous OnStar experience is to not offer any billing info when you pick the car up from the dealer, they will push you to do it!

skuttduck 05-25-2013 09:49 PM

Mine does it but onstar works just fine. It goes off after a moment. You could ask onstar if they see anything with your car because of it.

I figured it was because I added the 2013 mirror to my 2010.

Vroom 05-25-2013 10:57 PM

I get the same light in mine. I called and asked and they said the engineers said it was normal.

zl1bro 05-26-2013 10:06 AM

I never signed up for onstar or used it since getting my ZL1 last september. My only complaint about the set up is that several times a quick peripheral glance registered the blue light on the mirror which looks very similar to police blue lights. Produced a holy shit moment for a second until i realized it was just the onstar light. Personally, I could do without that moment of dread/panic...lol

LS1 Fun 05-26-2013 02:43 PM

I get this same light, all it means is the Onstar has temporarily lost signal. It usually reconnects within a few seconds so no need to worry. A couple of times, I did think I was getting pulled over though...