Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Is the ZL1 a status? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155015)

Chemical 06-26-2011 01:06 PM

Is the ZL1 a status?

I need help determining whether I should get a 2012 2SS CGM, or wait for the Zl1. (I know that CGM may be available at a later date or maybe not available at all according to some)

So I wanted to get your opinion, is the ZL1 just a status vehicle for everyone or those who buy it will actually use 550 HP for track racing.

As for me I can afford a ZL1 but I don't plan on racing it at all, so with all the racing features on it, is it worth the purchase? since it will be my daily driver, is it smarter to get a 2SS?

Because of the CGM situation I have to wait anyways for a 2SS, so what is it, get a ZL1 because you can (status) or 2SS?

Blue Menace 06-26-2011 01:17 PM

I would say that EVERY car that costs over, say, $30K is status. I for one will be purchasing a ZL1 due to it's exceptionally high level of awesomeness. If you have to debate which to purchase, by the SS because you are clearly not in lust with the ZL1

coolman 06-26-2011 01:23 PM

I think some people use the standard camaro to give them some false expectation of status ,but the reasons for which people buy cars are vast. I'm buying a ZL1 ,and I can tell you that status has nothing to do with it.

68vert 06-26-2011 01:25 PM

Get a Ferrari. It will put your status-o-meter at constant redline.

camaro noob 06-26-2011 01:30 PM

Hmm...it's totally up to you of course, but some people are guessing it will get around 14/19 mpg. This is based off the CTS-V mpg rating. Would you be ok with a BEAST that gets 14/19 mpg as a dd?

Honestly, no one would "look down" on you if you went with an SS. I personally would love to have a ZL1. If I did, yeah, it would be a status thing for me. There's also no way I can currently afford a ZL1, I'm still just a 23 year old with a dream. So I can't really talk here. But from what it seems like to me, other people here as well would also use it as a status thing. Not all, but maybe most.

And if you're so confident that you can afford a ZL1 which hasn't had it's price announced yet, why not consider a Corvette?

Not trying to sound like a jerk, just playing devil's advocate to try and help think of other factors here.

TheClassicCarKid 06-26-2011 01:32 PM

Obviously it's smarter to get the SS, and smarter than that would be the V6 since you don't plan on ever racing, and smarter still would be to stick with your Cobalt. But hey, these cars aren't really about being smart. Ask yourself why you're interested in the SS, is it because it has what you want in a car, or do you want it because it's the top model? If it's the latter, will you be happy driving a mid-range car after the ZL1 comes out?
But if all you want is for people to think you're cool then wait for a ZL1, 'cause that's going to be pretty badass car.

Seriously though, don't worry about what people are going to think about you because of what car you drive. If you like the look get a V6, if you want to go fast get a SS, if you want to go faster wait for the ZL1.

Chemical 06-26-2011 02:06 PM

I've been following gen 5 camaro since the concept in 2006 so there isnt another car I would want to buy.

Trust me, I lust over the ZL1 like others but I also have my practical side.

So everyone understands where I'm coming from, I graduated 18 months ago as an engineer and almost done paying for student loans and 25 years old. Never wanted anything else as soon as I saw the concept.

I've been waiting this long and soon the beast is coming. I think by the very appearance of Camaros people admire it whether it's a v6 or ZL1 so having an SS or LT will not make me feel inferior.

and 20mpg is doable so that isn't in my consideration...

TOBY J 06-26-2011 02:07 PM

Honestly i don't think anyone who sees someone driving a Camaro thinks about WOW what status. It's just not that type of vehicle, no matter how good of "eye candy" it is. I must have seen 10 this past year that belonged to my sons friends parked at the local high school.

Chemical 06-26-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOBY J (Post 3388169)
Honestly i don't think anyone who sees someone driving a Camaro thinks about WOW what status. It's just not that type of vehicle, no matter how good of "eye candy" it is. I must have seen 10 this past year that belonged to my sons friends parked at the local high school.

Lol good point.

...but we're talking about a 50k car... So maybe the v6 and SS don't count as status cars I guess... (which is not a bad thing at all)

So does a 50k camaro count as a statuss car then? What about Shelby GT500, status?

Or these cars are in a different category, purely performance vehicles and not thought of as "I can afford this"

Cristoff 06-26-2011 02:39 PM

"STATUS" is only in your own head.

We take cars in on trade everyday that people bought for "STATUS" and hated every minute of them, the lion's share being BMWs, Mercedes, and Porsches.

If you are buying a car to increase your perceived status in the world, you should be taken out back and have your butt paddled. Buy what you love based on your needs, wants, and budget, not what you think other people should see you in.

These comments obviously are not directed at anyone specifically although I'm sure someone will take it as a personal attack...:)

Z4me 06-26-2011 02:46 PM

It's good to have choices between the V6, V8, (conv.), and now the ZL1.
Depending what your looking for, which might also be dependent on wiether it's going to be a daily driver and your budget as far as the cost of the car and gas.

For me personally I have been waiting for the Z28 but with the ZL1 coming out I decided to purchase this car. Reasons for me are first I can
afford it, second I love the improvements over the current SS, third I plan
on keeping this car for a long time so I want something that I can personally be satisfied for a long time. If I want changes I will mod it over
time so it will never seem like it's getting old to me. I plan out bringing it
to some of the camaro events in my area and making alot of new friends
along the way. I really do not see as a status image thing but more of a
reward to myself for a job well done over the years.

What ever your choice ends up being for what ever reason you have just
make sure your doing it to satisfy what you want in your camaro.

Rock-It Man 06-26-2011 04:47 PM

My 2SS will never see a track or drag strip.

I just like the way it sounds.;)

mpate16 06-26-2011 05:51 PM

It all depends on the person buying it... Some will get it to show off and shove it in people's faces(status), others will get it to race the car, others will get it because they really want one and love all the features you get that you couldnt get anywhere else without spending 100,000+ (ZR1)

oldfriend 06-26-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemical (Post 3388017)
I need help determining whether I should get a 2012 2SS CGM, or wait for the Zl1. (I know that CGM may be available at a later date or maybe not available at all according to some)

So I wanted to get your opinion, is the ZL1 just a status vehicle for everyone or those who buy it will actually use 550 HP for track racing.

As for me I can afford a ZL1 but I don't plan on racing it at all, so with all the racing features on it, is it worth the purchase? since it will be my daily driver, is it smarter to get a 2SS?

Because of the CGM situation I have to wait anyways for a 2SS, so what is it, get a ZL1 because you can (status) or 2SS?

HEY, most of us work our butts to the limit ,and this is what we award ourselves for that , it is like a medal for been a good working horse ,and wanting something we do enjoy for what ever reason ,that's all !!!