Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Calling 1320Junkie! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38295)

Mindz 08-20-2009 01:26 AM

Calling 1320Junkie!

Since you're probably the most well versed in this segment, If I want to take my convertible to the track for a casual event such as "wednesday night drags", what safeties measures do I need to take to be eligible to run down the track.

I know I need:

A helmet
to run water instead of coolant/antifreeze

but do I need:
Roll bar or Roll cage?
to run with top up, or can I run top down?
Are 5 point harnesses necessary?
etc.

Anything else you want to add, feel free.

matt55 08-20-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 820936)
Since you're probably the most well versed in this segment, If I want to take my convertible to the track for a casual event such as "wednesday night drags", what safeties measures do I need to take to be eligible to run down the track.

I know I need:

A helmet

but do I need:
Roll bar or Roll cage?
etc.

Were you watching "PINKS" last week LOL ?

Here in NC at the Fayetteville strip , I have never been checked for Antifreeze , not need a helment , not needed a roll cage , Did have to roll up window's (so i would guess your top would have be up) with a 11 sec street car .

Mindz 08-20-2009 08:45 AM

no. It's recorded I'm sure.

matt55 08-20-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 821308)
no. It's recorded I'm sure.

A week or so back Rich threw a fit about ppl droping antifreeze on the track and was going to BAN them for life off of the show .

Mindz 08-20-2009 11:16 AM

oh, yeah I saw that.

steveo17 08-21-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 820936)

I know I need:

A helmet

but do I need:
Roll bar or Roll cage?
Are 5 point harnesses necessary?
etc.

the roll cage rule for verts is 12.50 or faster needs a cage, not sure of the points though, regular seatbelt should be fine (depends on how fast you are running) and i believe the top must be up. just ask the track officials

scrming 08-21-2009 11:42 AM

NHRA rules...

5- point roll bar for:
13.49 or faster for convertibles other wise 11.49 or faster

at 9.99 or faster you get into full cages... Looks like you need a full cage in a convertible at 10.99...

this is from: http://www.nhraonline.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

looks like IHRA rules are basically the same for the convertible now.... 13.49 but they require a 6 point roll bar..

some tracks may let you slide for like Test and Tune... .. but when it comes to safety, i follow the rules...

8ty8 ls1 08-21-2009 01:18 PM

top up, antifreeze is fine (never heard of it not being ok), your seatbelt is fine, helmet definitely, i think you just need a "roll bar" for 12.49 and faster.

these are the rules for the car at my local track (ATCO)

steveo17 08-21-2009 09:38 PM

8ty8 ls1, atco is pretty lenient on what they do and do not allow

Camaro_Corvette 08-21-2009 09:39 PM

Helmet is all you need at my track..

Kamaro4437 08-22-2009 12:50 AM

Alot of it really depends on the track. Unless your car is heavily modified beyond stock. You shouldnt have anything to worry about. Just bring a helmet, im pretty sure top is up i dont know my drag car is a coupe so i never really checked into that. But just a helmet, leave your air conditioning off so that you dont bring water out onto the starting line. And just have a good time. I would leave on the last yellow for a good reaction time. Dont wait for the green or your late. Each car is different and if you bracket race consistency is the key do everything the same everytime. If your just test and tuning then experiment and play around. Above all have a safe and great time.

1320junkie 08-22-2009 12:53 AM

Well do you want my answer or are you good with these?

Mindz 08-23-2009 05:36 PM

the more the merrier.