Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It's Official: Imperial Blue to be Discontinued... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187972)

GroundhogSS 12-14-2011 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is disappointing. We were seriously considering ordering an IBM convertible in the spring. And if you walk into the
Renaissance Center in Detroit, this is what you see.
Attachment 315165
At least, that was what was there last August. What a bummer.

OVERPAR73 12-14-2011 03:57 PM

Now thats a really, really sharp vert!!

Silverlsinva 12-14-2011 04:03 PM

You know Im not upset that this color went away i never liked it, cause it was too dark and almost looked black when it was cloudy and even when the sun hit it, it never popped and said wow to me. ABM does and IOM does and so does CRT AND RJT. Those colors pop alot more. I kinda hope they come out with the blue from the 2005 to 2007 cobalt SS that was like a blueish purplish color that would be awesome as well. But i kinda also wish they come out with a Gold like from the 69 camaro.

kiteman 12-14-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blufin (Post 4165519)
Wow. No blue of any kind offered for any 2012 Camaro.

there were several 2012 IBMs made.

though i wish they'd bring back navy blue metallic myself. the IBM was a little too dark. my 2000 Z28 with the NBM...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../clutch011.jpg

redirish 12-14-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanzajr26 (Post 4161897)
Wow, IBM was my top choice for a while before I had a mental flipflop and bought my Camaro in IOM. I hope they have some other shade of blue in the works.

Same here! Its an Awesome color, hard to believe its going away.

stand-al0ne 12-14-2011 04:26 PM

peace out!

Bonanza7 12-14-2011 04:56 PM

All of you should read Lutz' book "Car Guys vs the Bean Counters". Lutz came, the car guys turned around the mess the bean counters created. Now Lutz is gone, and the bean counters are in charge again. I personally couldn't care less about the blue, since mine is yellow. But....the bean counters are lousy at running any company, but they are particularly bad at running car companies. You give the customer what THEY want, not what someone else wants to make. I worked at Chrysler for years. I know full well about the paint shops, but YOU GIVE THE CUSTOMERS WHAT THEY WANT. Even if it means charging extra for that item to give it to them. We painted a Barracuda candy apple green for a customer. Definately outside the box, but he got it...at a price he agreed to pay.

abaucom21 12-14-2011 04:57 PM

Sorry to see any tint or shade of blue not offered on future 2012 Camaro's.
I admit, I am an old fart driving a white 2011 Camaro. The issue us old farts talk about, is today are the very limited popular colors determined by what is available because dealers order what is safe, or do the bean counters limit our choices?
Appears to me bean counters eliminated our choice of blue Camaro's.
Back in the old days, in the 1960s, my first auto was a 1963 T-Bird. Offered in 22 colors plus about 12 interior choices for color and materials. As decades progressed, available auto paint colors became less and less, and we ended up with only black and gray interiors. This lack of selection was due to bean counters.
Somehow, in the 1950s -1960s, you could order a rainbow of colors to personalize you ride. Somehow in the 1950s - 1960s, Ford, GM, Chrysler, turned out models in lower volumes then our beloved Gen 5 Camaro's, with more color options, and all made a profit. Did you know 1957 Oldsmobile’s offered 256 color exterior/interior color/fabric options and they made a profit?
Removing blues from the 2012 Camaro color list is due to bean counters and what dealers think is safe to order. A blue can not be popular if dealers do not place orders for blue cars and we can not find blue on dealer lots.
In the 21st century, this old fart thinks the only way you can personalize your ride is with expensive after-market products. Back in the olden days, you could personalize your ride direct from the factory when you had many color options to select from direct from the factory.
If you only have a choice of red (or red variations), black (or black variations), silver (or silver variations), or white paint colors with variations of black, gray, beige (or an expensive trendy orange) interiors...does this indicate popularity or just what we have to select from a very limited menu because limited color menu is cheaper for GM to offer?

The GEN 5 Camaro is a high volume selling auto. Think GM bean counters are making a mistake to limit Camaro colors just because Oshawa is making more mundane transportation on the same assembly line.

Ford in 2010, announced they are going to offer more colors.
GM, time to catch up and give us color options.

BlemsBumble 12-14-2011 05:01 PM

And then there were none. My top 3 5th gen colors are now history. I'm actually surprised IBM lasted this long. IBMs are rarer around here than ABMs. Just don't see 'em.
Oh well. It was a nice run, Imperial Blue Metallic.

KeeBee 12-14-2011 05:06 PM

Not to offer a blue for the Camaro at all? These kind of decisions are what put GM in trouble the last time. The blue that is being discounted is an okay blue. Maybe if they used a different blue it might sell better. Black, White, Red is going to get boring really quick if that is all you see at car shows and the track.

No green, blue what color is next? Yellow? Orange? Grey?

Baldwin feeder 12-14-2011 05:07 PM

I have been planning on ordering my next Camaro in May as a college graduation present to myself and have always wanted a dark blue Camaro and loved IBM. I am saddened that my dream of ordering IBM 1SS will never be more than a dream.

Bonanza7 12-14-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaucom21 (Post 4166193)
Sorry to see any tint or shade of blue not offered on future 2012 Camaro's.
I admit, I am an old fart driving a white 2011 Camaro. The issue us old farts talk about, is today are the very limited popular colors determined by what is available because dealers order what is safe, or do the bean counters limit our choices?
Appears to me bean counters eliminated our choice of blue Camaro's.
Back in the old days, in the 1960s, my first auto was a 1963 T-Bird. Offered in 22 colors plus about 12 interior choices for color and materials. As decades progressed, available auto paint colors became less and less, and we ended up with only black and gray interiors. This lack of selection was due to bean counters.
Somehow, in the 1950s -1960s, you could order a rainbow of colors to personalize you ride. Somehow in the 1950s - 1960s, Ford, GM, Chrysler, turned out models in lower volumes then our beloved Gen 5 Camaro's, with more color options, and all made a profit. Did you know 1957 Oldsmobile’s offered 256 color exterior/interior color/fabric options and they made a profit?
Removing blues from the 2012 Camaro color list is due to bean counters and what dealers think is safe to order. A blue can not be popular if dealers do not place orders for blue cars and we can not find blue on dealer lots.
In the 21st century, this old fart thinks the only way you can personalize your ride is with expensive after-market products. Back in the olden days, you could personalize your ride direct from the factory when you had many color options to select from direct from the factory.
If you only have a choice of red (or red variations), black (or black variations), silver (or silver variations), or white paint colors with variations of black, gray, beige (or an expensive trendy orange) interiors...does this indicate popularity or just what we have to select from a very limited menu because limited color menu is cheaper for GM to offer?

The GEN 5 Camaro is a high volume selling auto. Think GM bean counters are making a mistake to limit Camaro colors just because Oshawa is making more mundane transportation on the same assembly line.

Ford in 2010, announced they are going to offer more colors.
GM, time to catch up and give us color options.

Having worked in a plant, I can attest to how it was on combinations. If they had it, and you wanted it, you got it. If they have a tan convertible top, there is no reason not to put it on any color car the cutomer wants. If you want a white interior, and they have it in stock, you should be able to get it. We gave the customers whatever they wanted, if we had it in the plant, or if it could be done at extra cost, if the customer wanted it. Hell, once the Belvedere plant made a 426 Hemi, 4 speed Dodge wagon for a guy. He paid for it, though. My dad helped put a 383 in a 65 Barracuda. Bean counters have substituted THEIR notion of what should be built for the CUSTOMER's notion of what they are willing to buy.

bigd1276 12-14-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeSS (Post 4165636)
you will forget all about the color when you get a v8 :)

Unfortunately, if there is no blue, the only V8 i'll be driving will be a Mustang GT.

Taintedveins 12-14-2011 05:09 PM

My car was off the lot, and i loved it... though it was filthy at the time.