Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sidemarkers Amber or Red? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218718)

GunnyG 04-23-2012 10:16 PM

Sidemarkers Amber or Red?

Well folks, got myself a ticket last night for violating Ca Veh. Code 25950(a), illegal illuminated front lighting. I have AAC LED sidemarkers. They add an absolute amazing look to the car.

Problem is, CHP officer says they're red in front, and "redder" in the rear. To that, I say impossible. The front are amber/orange LED, the rear are true red. To that he says, the blinkers are amber...thought I was calling him color blind. Long story short, after 15 minutes on the side of the I-5, I received a ticket. Question: Does anyone make "yellow" front LED sidemarkers? I'd hate to revert back to OEM sidemarkers, at the same time, it might not be worth getting harassed every time I drive at night. I have pics, but they're horrible from my cell phone, and I'm out of town...will take some this weekend.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments...
Thanks!

wocampb 04-23-2012 11:12 PM

If it is just a fix-it ticket go to a dealership and take a picture of stock side markers to show them. Have done this before on my tint with an old car.

CruznSS 04-23-2012 11:16 PM

I agree, take pics of stock & after market lights for comparison to take to court. They figure you will just pay the fine. Have had mine for a year with no issues - so far....

CRUZN-SS VIA tapatalk

Schmidty 04-23-2012 11:17 PM

What the ??? Now that's some shit right there! Sorry Aaron..that aint right! Call Turko!

GunnyG 04-23-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wocampb (Post 4855468)
If it is just a fix-it ticket go to a dealership and take a picture of stock side markers to show them. Have done this before on my tint with an old car.

Thanks, I'll do that! I can't believe he said the fronts were red, and the back are "redder". Wow!

GunnyG 04-23-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruznSS (Post 4855478)
I agree, take pics of stock & after market lights for comparison to take to court. They figure you will just pay the fine. Have had mine for a year with no issues - so far....

CRUZN-SS VIA tapatalk

Yep, I'm gonna fight this like hell. No way they're red. I've got other illegal stuff he didn't even notice (no mufflers, tint, no front license plate). He was just blind I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kali4nia58 (Post 4855480)
What the ??? Now that's some shit right there! Sorry Aaron..that aint right! Call Turko!

Good ole Turko files! Man I love these lights. THEY'RE ORANGE DAG NABBIT!!!

ctinatx 04-23-2012 11:51 PM

Someone else reported the same issue a while back happening to them in Florida.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3272871

I too would have to call shenanigans on this one. Good luck/

GunnyG 04-23-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctinatx (Post 4855611)
Someone else reported the same issue a while back happening to them in Florida.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3272871

I too would have to call shenanigans on this one. Good luck/

Hey, thanks a lot. Looks like he got popped for the exact same thing I did. The LED front sidemarkers are clearly amber/orange. CHP officer wasn't even trying to hear it. I can tell the difference. I'll post pics his weekend, sorry I parked my car and drove a rental while I'm out of town. I appreciate it.

TaylorRyanSS 04-24-2012 12:46 AM

Be careful, these have no reflectors. So if you do try and fight it and they notice they do not have reflectors in them then you will definitely not win. I have some on order right now.

GunnyG 04-24-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS (Post 4855776)
Be careful, these have no reflectors. So if you do try and fight it and they notice they do not have reflectors in them then you will definitely not win. I have some on order right now.

Think I may have a chance to fight it.

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:

(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.

(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.

(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.

These lights are NOT projecting to the front. They project to the side, and are of the infrared spectrum. Maybe interpreted as incidental, but hmmm that's a stretch because it's orange not red. Contacted AAC, they don't make yellow. The wavelength from yellow to orange to red is such a fine line. Thanks Taylor, hope you don't have any issues. Haven't read the requirement for reflection. Maybe it's there...just haven't found it.

Sw0rdf1sh 04-24-2012 08:52 AM

Good luck. Sounds like you are doing your homework.

Let us know how it shakes out.

GunnyG 04-24-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AACstyle (Post 4856591)
If you need us to provide documentation from the LED manufacturer Bridgelux showing the frequency of the diode which determines the color in the spectrum and prove your point that it is operating within the color that FMVSS considers to be "Amber" and threrfore street legal just send me a PM :thumbsup:

That would be absolutely WONDERFUL. Sending pm now!

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 04-24-2012 10:12 AM

I had the same issues happen to me while going on and off base down at NAS Pcola and Eglin AFB.

Both times they told me that my lights were "red" in front.

I asked one of the guys to step back and compare them to the red ones in rear and he really quick said "yup, they're amber, you're good."

The guy at NAS stopped me once a week at least to "take a closer look" I think that he just wanted to check out the car since he never actually gave me a ticket or warning.

But those were the only issues/times that I've had that in my 47k miles of driving in over half of the country.

Has to be a personal preference thing when it comes to being stopped like this.

Keep us posted on your dealings and good luck Gunny.
Ivan