Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PYPES AXLEBACK INSTALL UPDATE#2,DRIVING (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175295)

1JEWLDSSRS 10-06-2011 06:23 AM

PYPES AXLEBACK INSTALL UPDATE#2,DRIVING

Well guys, afer driving my car around all weekend and yesterday with the new Pypes axleback on there, thought the car was a blast to drive before, but with the new sound it makes, it's a REAL blast to drive now that you can hear what you got under the hood.I have the L99 engine and I have to say that like has been posted here before with an aftermarket exhaust the AFM is a PITA to listen to when it goes from 8 to 4 cylinders, sounds like crap. But as stated on here also you can have it tuned out, or you can do as I did and drive around in manual mode and do one of the two down shift sequences to disable the AFM and all is fine, sounds really good to drive around in manual mode. The computer will down shift for you, but YOU will need to upshift, the computer will not, hence sounds like driving a manual shifted car, whhat a blast.The 2 shft sequences I found are when sitting at a stop, put nthe shifter in sport mode and tap your down shift button in the steering wheel into 1st gear when at a stop, tap it again while stopped to get 2nd gear as in manual mode the car will start off in 2nd gear anyway, start off slowly and shift to 3rd gear then quickly back down to 2nd then back to 3rd and the AFM automatically is disabled as long as you are in manual mode and drive the car like a stick car upshifting as you accelerate, remember it will dowshift for you, but not upshift, you have to do that. Second sequence is when driving around at a normal speed in drive mode, put shifter in sport mode and downshift from 6th to 4th then back to 6th gear, that will disable the AFM also. Then if you want the AFM back engaged all you need to do is hold the upshift button for about 4 seconds and it will automatically engage it and it will put the tranny back into sport mode, or you can put the shifter bak in drive and that will also engage. All the driving I did this weekend I only noticed about 2-3 mpg difference with and without the AFM, so I drive in manual mode all the time, also remember while in manual mode if you want to pass anyone that is going too slow, YOU need to downshift a couple of gears to do so, just stabbing the throttle in manual mode won't downshift for you, just like a manal shift car. Like I stated I did lot of driving this weekend to find out some things and LOVED every minute of it. I hope this is informative for you all and have fun with your Camaros..I also went by my friends autobody shop that is going to do the paint work on my car this winter and when I started it up for him he said it sounded better than the mustangs, and I said, WHAT??. He said it sounded like a big block engine with the tone..Sounds good to me !! :w00t:

ipimpthisc 10-06-2011 07:55 AM

is this a bolt on kit...or the one u have to cut the suitcases off and then tighten in? I am thinking of this.....on the fence

PAUL SS 10-06-2011 10:00 AM

Pype Bombs is an axle back, you have to cut off the factory mufflers and clamp the new ones on.

1JEWLDSSRS 10-06-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAUL SS (Post 3848901)
Pype Bombs is an axle back, you have to cut off the factory mufflers and clamp the new ones on.

Yep, thanks, have to cut them big ole heavy suckers off. But worth it..

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 10-06-2011 12:02 PM

This is an incredibly good seller for us.

I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention than it has.
Ivan

ipimpthisc 10-06-2011 12:06 PM

would it be better to just weld them back on? I am definitely going to go this route when i get the chance.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 10-06-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipimpthisc (Post 3849546)
would it be better to just weld them back on? I am definitely going to go this route when i get the chance.

I usually tack them on after they are clamped down. Never a bad idea.

Ivan

1JEWLDSSRS 10-06-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipimpthisc (Post 3849546)

We welded them on cause I didn't plan on any more exhaust mods until I decided to go with a set of LT's in a year or two. But right now, the sound is perfet for me, I might take the giant stock resonater out and replace with a magnaflow X-pipe,in the near future if I want some more sound from it.:chevy:

1JEWLDSSRS 10-06-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed (Post 3849522)
This is an incredibly good seller for us.

I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention than it has.
Ivan

Yea, I really like it. I listened to a LOT of sound bites and vids of aftermarket exhaust before I decided to go with Pypes, you won't be sorry.Enjoy..:thumbsup: