Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Tricks to see oil level on dipstick after fresh change? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298343)

Phdpsy 05-28-2013 07:05 PM

Tricks to see oil level on dipstick after fresh change?

I know my eyes aren't what they used to be....but really? Just did the first change on my 2013 1LE and cannot see the oil level on the dipstick accurately for anything. Drained, changed filter, sealed her up, added just under 8qt mobile 1, idled her for a minute, let it settle....then...crap, can't tell. Wiped clean and did it a few times and still can't tell. I've tried in different lights, angled it, and I'm baffled. Definitely oil on the stick, but level is anyone's guess. Any tricks out there?

I'd likely not worry excessively.....no I would anyway...but I'm heading to a driving event at Circuit if the Americas next weekend and will be pushing the car hard. Just concerned it my somehow be overfilled.

Glen e 05-28-2013 07:39 PM

x2...great question!

mulletman 05-28-2013 09:16 PM

Wipe the dipstick completely dry. Inspect the dipstick in bright sunlight and angle the dipstick until the top of the oil level shows. I have heard of spraying white primer on the bottom of the dipstick but have not tried it.

Moto44 05-28-2013 09:59 PM

I find this frustrating, too. I fold a dry paper towel around it, unfold it, and check to see how high the oil mark rides up on the dipstick.

Avenging Orange 05-28-2013 11:28 PM

Never had an issue seeing the damp part of the dipstick in contrast with the dry. :noidea: And I have cataracts!

mulletman 05-29-2013 12:04 AM

Sixty-three per cent of Chinese doctors have cataracts. The rest drive Rincolns.

Phdpsy 05-29-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulletman (Post 6601422)
Sixty-three per cent of Chinese doctors have cataracts. The rest drive Rincolns.

:sm0:

Phdpsy 05-29-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto44 (Post 6600870)
I find this frustrating, too. I fold a dry paper towel around it, unfold it, and check to see how high the oil mark rides up on the dipstick.

Might have to try something like this. There just does not appear to be a clear transition line from wet to "dry". It seems like there is still oil around the sides and part of the face above the full mark, but not completely across the flat surface. It is like a slow tapering off vs. a more defined "line" as an ending point.

I miss my dirty oil that showed up so well when checking the level :facepalm:

CatiaJockey 05-29-2013 06:48 AM

Wipe the stick dry and dust it with baby powder, reinsert and the level will be clear.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 05-29-2013 10:44 AM

I'd say to dust the dipstick after pulling it out. Might work and won't put baby powder in the crankcase.

John B.

Ehmsea 05-29-2013 11:28 AM

I use the paper towel trick as mentioned above. I don't wipe the dipstick clean, I press it between the folded paper towel.

Why didn't they just make the damn thing white???

bw26ss 05-29-2013 11:39 AM

pour in the correct amount of oil and your done

Nick S 05-29-2013 01:00 PM

I guess I usually find that one side of the dip stick usually has more oil collected on it I think due to the way that it's oriented in the dip stick tube. So I usually check both sides of the dip stick looking for the reading on the side that has the least amout of oil on it. I can usually pick out a nice line on the dip stick that shows where the level was. Also sometimes you can use the 3 holes the put in the end of it and look for the hole that last has oil on it.
Otherwise the papertowel trick seems like a nice idea. I don't think I would put anything like powerder on my dip stick and then stick it back down the tube. Sounds like a problem waiting to happen to me.

Phdpsy 05-29-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatiaJockey (Post 6601854)
Wipe the stick dry and dust it with baby powder, reinsert and the level will be clear.

PERFECT solution, and so simple!
Got out the powder, pulled out the dipstick and wiped it off lightly. Powdered both sides and tapped it on the edge of a trash can to get off the excess (just left the finest film on it). I wiped the powder off from the middle of the hashed section down to the tip, and from 1/2" above the full mark up. This left about 1" of dipstick with the film on it. Slid it in, paused, pulled it out....Boom! The part to the top of the fill line was "gone" and the part over that was there, clear as can be. Level was just right (whew!). What a great solution. When you see how much powder is actually left on the dipstick after you tap it and wipe the top and bottom, you will laugh. It is such a tiny amount that there is no way it would be possible to hurt anything. I'll do this again any time I have a question in the future. I love the forums!