Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   miles to the tank? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58284)

bokoo 12-28-2009 10:30 AM

miles to the tank?

hey guys was wondering how many miles you guys are getting to a tank on your camaro? i have a 2ss and it seems like i get 250 miles to a 15 gal tank. i always thought we had a 19 gal tank but every time i fill up its full at 15 gal. and if i step on it which i do a lot i get about 220 miles to a tank... list if your is a v6 or v8 and miles to a tank please!? by the way mine should be broken in im sitting at 1900 miles up to date.

hrpiii 12-28-2009 10:32 AM

not sure of the miles per tank, but on a road trip this weekend I got 21 mpg (2SS). Mostly highway.

Sevn86 12-28-2009 10:49 AM

i have a v6 and its horrible in my opinion...im getting about 280-300 per tank...Have 1,164 miles right now...i didn't know the tank was that small...only 15 gallons? i thought it was like 18 or 20...

texan 12-28-2009 10:59 AM

250 at best, 13.9 mpg according to the car, I haven't done any manual calcs but I should add I have a heavy right foot and quick left foot

full of days 12-28-2009 11:00 AM

Headers, exhaust, intake, and a custom tune on my 2SS/RS and I'm getting 18.5 MPG avg. 260 miles on the last 3 tanks. That's short shifting and cruising below 4-5K RPMs. When I get in the powerband, I can hear the gas gauge squealing as it drops. -- Or is that the Heater core valve?? :thumbup:

Sir Nuke 12-28-2009 11:09 AM

I have a V6, ALL our tanks have a 18.9 Gallon tank. This is something I have done for many years, fill up your tank, set the trip odometer, the very next time the "FUEL LIGHT" comes on, get gas at the VERY NEXT STATION. write down the mileage and calculate the MPG, and take note of how many gollons it took to fill it up. That will tell you how many miles you can really go or at least close ot it, you can go before you REALLY run out of gas.......When MY GAS LIGHT comes on, I have about 2.5 gollons left in the tank. When I wait till the light comes on, on average, I am getting 340 miles/tank. That is combined Hwy/City driving. Which works out to about 23 mpg.

bokoo 12-28-2009 11:15 AM

yeah i thought it was a 19 gal tank when i got the car but every time i fill up its full at at 15gal i dont know if GM made a mistake on my gas tank or what?

myold88 12-28-2009 11:18 AM

Who cares ?. I bought my SS to enjoy. If your worried about MPG you should have bought something besides a Camaro in my opinion. I kept my '06 6 cyl Impala for daily driving- 30 MPG on the highway, 25 avg. I plan a trip to Florida soon so I may be concerned about "range"- how many annoying stops for gas. That's another story but I'll be driving a 5th gen Camsaro-Again, who cares ?.

hrpiii 12-28-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myold88 (Post 1325083)
Who cares ?. I bought my SS to enjoy. If your worried about MPG you should have bought something besides a Camaro in my opinion. I kept my '06 6 cyl Impala for daily driving- 30 MPG on the highway, 25 avg. I plan a trip to Florida soon so I may be concerned about "range"- how many annoying stops for gas. That's another story but I'll be driving a 5th gen Camsaro-Again, who cares ?.

I'm not sure this is about who cares, more along the lines of "just curious" as to what others are seeing. But you are correct.. if I calculated that it only got 15 mpg, I enjoyed riding in the car none the less. :D This was my first long trip in it, and it was extremely comfortable driving, and comfortable in the passengers side (other than wanting to get back behind the wheel). :thumbup:

bokoo 12-28-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myold88 (Post 1325083)

its not about the money. it was "just wondering" what others are getting along the lines of mpg. i been driving my car everyday that its sunny and gas is not an issue to me. if it was i would be driving my 325xi bmw... plus it seems weird to me that i have 15 gal tank instead of 19 gal tank like everyone else.

Sir Nuke 12-28-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokoo (Post 1325069)
yeah i thought it was a 19 gal tank when i got the car but every time i fill up its full at at 15gal i dont know if GM made a mistake on my gas tank or what?

WELL, if you are filling up when the guage shows E and as soon as the GET FUEL NOW light comes on, then YES, you will typically put in 15 gal. every time. BUT, the tank it not empty. Think about it, WHY would GM make the LOW FUEL light come on when there is a few hundred feet till the car stops running? IF you aren't really paying attention to the gas guage and the LOW FUEL light comes on, and there is 2.5 gal or so still in the tank, you have or should have plenty of gas to get it before you are staranded.

myold88 12-28-2009 11:35 AM

OK, who cares may have been a little harsh.
I did a 330 mile one way trip to Md in my SS this summer and I did have to stop once for gas. When I did the same trip in my Impala it was a non stop trip with no refueling. I agree a larger tank would be a plus in the Camaro.

herkman 12-28-2009 11:36 AM

The reason it seems your car only holds 15 gallons is because the gas tank is designed to still hold 3-4 gals when the low fuel light comes on. This is so you don't run your car out of gas. If you have the DIC, you will see how many miles to empty you can go after the light comes on. Divide that by how many MPG you are getting and that is how much fuel is still in the tank.