Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another tidbit about production date and engine lineup...LOOK HERE! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594)

CamaroSpike23 09-13-2007 11:49 AM

Another tidbit about production date and engine lineup...LOOK HERE!

Ah, another tidbit coming straight from the horse's mouth.

Bob Boniface, a head designer at GM involved with Camaro, shared a tidbit about production details at the Camaro Superfest earlier this month:

October 2008 is the month when approximately 30 Camaros will first roll off the assembly line, and in the following months they will continue to ramp up production until the January 2009 release.
Although engine sizes are a secret, tenatively there are three engines set to be in the lineup for the initial release: 2 V6s and 1 V8.
Horsepower numbers are not known.

October 2008!
And so the countdown begins!

Please keep in mind that this was NOT a press release, nor any kind of official word from GM.
Just a couple tidbits passed along by a designer on the project.

Aptom 09-13-2007 11:53 AM

:w00t:

Dark Knight 09-13-2007 01:02 PM

Well that puts to bed the whole 2 v6 and 2 v8 stuff. But that's good news...good find!!

TAG UR IT 09-13-2007 01:13 PM

You might think I'm nuts for saying this...but I still believe 2 V6's and 2 V8's. And it could be very true that there might only be one V8 for the first year...but my bet is on 2.

Mr. Wyndham 09-13-2007 01:25 PM

I've heard so many different, 2 V8's, no 1 V8....that I've just settled on expecting 2 V8's, like Tag. But if there is only 1...:iono: Good enough for me.:thumbsup:

Pencil.Fight 09-13-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23121)
I've heard so many different, 2 V8's, no 1 V8....that I've just settled on expecting 2 V8's, like Tag. But if there is only 1...:iono: Good enough for me.:thumbsup:

In a way, one V8 is better than two V8s. Now we can take all the hints on the V8 version(s) and put them together.

It'll have a lot of horsepower (possibly the DIG), and cost around or under 30k.

Mr. Wyndham 09-13-2007 01:32 PM

That's what I'd be hoping for!

balonywolf 09-13-2007 01:44 PM

Well, this meshes with what we've heard about a performance V6, economy V6, and a first year offering of a V8.

SoFlaZ 09-13-2007 05:16 PM

I still think there is going to be 2 V8's, because it says there will be 2 V6's and 1 V8 on INITIAL release. The way I understand it there will be another V8 later on:D (with plenty more hp I hope)

CamaroSpike23 09-13-2007 05:51 PM

i imagine that the one v-8 will have diff combos for the Z28 and SS models. prolly more a tuning deal than anything, but i figure it'll be the same block with diff heads or something.

daddyseth1 09-13-2007 11:34 PM

Well with the two V-6 optionns, what will be the difference between the two?

RS & RT? :sm0:

Mr. Wyndham 09-14-2007 02:06 AM

sport coupe, and sporty-er coupe....::sm0:

j/k RS is a possibiliy I suppose. But it could always just end up being your Chevy-standard LS, LT, and LTZ:iono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/v5/buttons/viewpost.gif
Although engine sizes are a secret, tenatively there are three engines set to be in the lineup for the initial release: 2 V6s and 1 V8.

I was thinking the exact same thing, it makes the most sense...:rolleyes:

:iono: alright with me. Give me 400+ hp as the first engine, and I'll be plenty satisfied...doesn't have to be the TOP for me...

TAG UR IT 09-14-2007 02:14 AM

If that's so, I'll probably wait until the following year. It benefits me to wait until the next year anyway...money and all.

Mindz 09-14-2007 04:05 AM

I'm waiting for the vert so hopefully it'll have the big engine as an option as well.

Urthman 09-14-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 23108)
Ah, another tidbit coming straight from the horse's mouth.

Bob Boniface, a head designer at GM involved with Camaro, shared a tidbit about production details at the Camaro Superfest earlier this month:

October 2008 is the month when approximately 30 Camaros will first roll off the assembly line, and in the following months they will continue to ramp up production until the January 2009 release.
Horsepower numbers are not known.

October 2008!
And so the countdown begins!

Please keep in mind that this was NOT a press release, nor any kind of official word from GM.
Just a couple tidbits passed along by a designer on the project.

Where did this come from?

Dark Knight 09-14-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 23171)
I still think there is going to be 2 V8's, because it says there will be 2 V6's and 1 V8 on INITIAL release. The way I understand it there will be another V8 later on:D (with plenty more hp I hope)

And THAT'S the one i'm waiting on!:headbang: Don't matter if it's 2010 or 2011 i will have me one no matter what.

One thing that makes me wonder though...if there is only gonna be 2 v6 and 1 v8 will that 1 v8 look exactly like the concept? If anyone remembers that one interview with Lutz he told the interviewer "right now your looking at what would be the top of the line Camaro".

Mr. Wyndham 09-14-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 23239)
And THAT'S the one i'm waiting on!:headbang: Don't matter if it's 2010 or 2011 i will have me one no matter what.

One thing that makes me wonder though...if there is only gonna be 2 v6 and 1 v8 will that 1 v8 look exactly like the concept? If anyone remembers that one interview with Lutz he told the interviewer "right now your looking at what would be the top of the line Camaro".

I do remember that....

My thoughts? I think the initial release V8 will be the top-of-the-line mainstream Camaro(which'll look like the concept)...then they'll make a GT500 killer, with a Super-Hi-Po V8, which'll be all tricked out, with intakes, and better this, better that:iono:
I'm now, really interested in seeing what a flat-roofed 5th gen will look like (the V6's)...:rolleyes:

JeepinMatt 09-14-2007 09:43 PM

I think I'm going to try and pick up an LS3 powered one slightly used, with only 5k or so miles on it.

night_kidd 09-14-2007 10:39 PM

it doesn't make sense to make just 1 v8. That is so stupid, there should be a lower end v8 and a high end v8. I think they are bluffing. There has to be a 2nd v8 model or at least come out with a supercharged model or something.

Mr. Wyndham 09-14-2007 10:58 PM

...mmmm, I don't know. It definitely makes a lot of sense to have only one V8. I still think there will be two, but it's financially smart to offer only 1...reduce costs of producing more than one V8 in smaller numbers, than the cheaper method of having 1 large-scale V8...

this is an old post...but still, who better to know, than the almighty Fbodfather?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
BUT....one of the arguments I hear is to have a midrange V8 for lower insurance costs......AIN'T gonna happen (lower insurance rates, that is.........) Furthermore....300hp......or more in a midrange V8...guaranteed higher insurance rates......

I'm confident you'll see three engines....but for reasons other than written here.

(sitting back...stirring pot....................)

Which of cousre, he follows up in typical Fbodfather fashion with this...:bonk: ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather
...there very well could be a midrange V8...but a midrange V8 in the 300 plus horsepower range is NOT gonna get you cheaper insurance rates........don't believe me? Go do some insurance quotes out there............

CamaroSpike23 09-15-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23351)
...mmmm, I don't know. It definitely makes a lot of sense to have only one V8. I still think there will be two, but it's financially smart to offer only 1...reduce costs of producing more than one V8 in smaller numbers, than the cheaper method of having 1 large-scale V8...

this is an old post...but still, who better to know, than the almighty Fbodfather?

Which of cousre, he follows up in typical Fbodfather fashion with this...:bonk: ;)

what do you do with your life....? lol just messin thanks for postin that up from the fbodfather. :headbang:

Mr. Wyndham 09-15-2007 01:04 AM

it's 2Am on a Saturday...I do nothing. I do not sleep...much.

:iono: I could always not post these things...;)
Trust me, once school starts picking up, and my new job starts, you'll be seeing much less of me...:cry:

CamaroSpike23 09-15-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23363)
it's 2Am on a Saturday...I do nothing. I do not sleep...much.

:iono: I could always not post these things...;)
Trust me, once school starts picking up, and my new job starts, you'll be seeing much less of me...:cry:

so you are saying I need to send you some more stuff to p/s before that time?

SSFreak11 09-15-2007 01:19 AM

Here's my $0.02...Having a midrange V-8 would most likely only benefit in the means of gas mileage. The insurance between a 370ish hp V-8 and a 430ish hp V-8 would not differ very much at all. Like Drangon said, it would be cheaper to just have one V-8 with a decent amount of power rather than two. Just think about it, you have your economy V-6 for those who could care less about the performance of the car. You have the HiPo V-6 for those who want good performance and cheaper insurance/better fuel economy and then the 4XXhp V-8 for the for people who want a BADA$$ ride and don't mind the extra expenses that come with owning a muscle car.

Rock36 09-15-2007 03:06 AM

I thought another source on this site said there would not be three engines? Maybe two, maybe four, but not three....I don't know.

Either way I don't have any problem with only one V8, I kind of like the idea actually. If there is a HIPO V6 putting out 300-320hp then that is just fine with me. We already know GM makes such an engine.

Punk_rider 09-15-2007 05:39 AM

well ... "not official GM words" ... I personally hardly believe the guy said something that wasn't into GM official communication plan ...

Cdn Camaroman 09-15-2007 06:53 AM

2 different V6's ? I don't remember the last time we could choose from kinda slow....to real slow,the early 3rd gens with 4 cyl,optional V6 etc..that doesn't sound right,1 Base V6 and then 2 kinds of V8 was the general plan..more motor options means bigger prices..my 2 cents

night_kidd 09-15-2007 12:37 PM

Ok I guess having 2 v8s would not be a financially smart way to go, but at least offer a supercharged version... something to compete with the gt500. The way I think of it the v8s shouldn't be as bad with gas because based on what I've read it has the engine management system which allows you to shutdown 4 pistons. I'm not entirely sure if you can shut it down with a press of a button but hey thats awesome if that is ever possible. I'm just really looking for something with more horses.

Mr. Wyndham 09-15-2007 12:52 PM

You can't "choose" when to shut down four of the eight cyllinders, unfortunately.

I have absolutely NO reservations that there will be a GT500 fighter, but I think it'll be a limited production, special edition version...:iono:

AirGoya 09-15-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepinMatt (Post 23334)
I think I'm going to try and pick up an LS3 powered one slightly used, with only 5k or so miles on it.

same here

EllwynX 09-15-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock36 (Post 23370)
Either way I don't have any problem with only one V8, I kind of like the idea actually. If there is a HIPO V6 putting out 300-320hp then that is just fine with me. We already know GM makes such an engine.

I agree. 1 V8 is fine. It's not like it's never been done, the 4th gens originally had just the base V6 and the V8 Z28 when they debuted.

The idea of 2 V6's is also fine. Years ago it wouldn't have sounded quite right, but with the popularity of powerful little 4cylinder cars, I think a 300ish hp V6 as an option is a good idea to appeal to the younger crowd. (No, I'm not saying all 'younglings' have no money, but most do not. I certainly know I had no great amount of money until I was in my upper 20's.)

So upon release what are we expecting? 250-V6, 300-V6 and a 400-V8? (All those #'s are just for an approximation.)

I also wonder why so many are hellbent there MUST be a 2nd V8 to compete with the Mustang GT500. Or at least, they talk as if this uber-Camaro would be a 'mainstream' model. GT500 is a limited production car, not mainstream. So the lack of a 2nd V8 in the Camaro, imo, is just for the cars for the masses. I'm sure there will be a limited production car to compete with the GT500, but I personally don't consider 'limited production' a part of a vehicle's 'regular' lineup.

So I believe the 2 V6's and 1 V8 will be for the everyday Camaro models that we will see most. They're probably keeping details about any GT500 competitor under tight wraps, or waiting to see how the mainstream Camaro's sell.

And I've said it before, and will again. Z28 should NOT be a limited production name. It should be mainstream. Let Z28 be the top regular production model and assign something entirely different to the limited model.

Mr. Wyndham 09-15-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 23416)
The idea of 2 V6's is also fine. Years ago it wouldn't have sounded quite right, but with the popularity of powerful little 4cylinder cars, I think a 300ish hp V6 as an option is a good idea to appeal to the younger crowd. (No, I'm not saying all 'younglings' have no money, but most do not. I certainly know I had no great amount of money until I was in my upper 20's.) Exactly what GM is thinking, I'd gamble.

So upon release what are we expecting? 250-V6, 300-V6 and a 400-V8? (All those #'s are just for an approximation.)That's what I expect, no less(except for the base V6 - maybe closer to 230hp). But then who am I?

I also wonder why so many are hellbent there MUST be a 2nd V8 to compete with the Mustang GT500. Because there just has to be. It'd be an unanswered challenge. Or at least, they talk as if this uber-Camaro would be a 'mainstream' model. I don't understand that either. WTF? GT500 is a limited production car, not mainstream. So the lack of a 2nd V8 in the Camaro, imo, is just for the cars for the masses. I'm sure there will be a limited production car to compete with the GT500, but I personally don't consider 'limited production' a part of a vehicle's 'regular' lineup.Nicely said :clap:

So I believe the 2 V6's and 1 V8 will be for the everyday Camaro models that we will see most. They're probably keeping details about any GT500 competitor under tight wraps, or waiting to see how the mainstream Camaro's sell. Scott has said that right now, all they're working on is the normal Camaros, special editions will come later.

And I've said it before, and will again. Z28 should NOT be a limited production name. It should be mainstream. Let Z28 be the top regular production model and assign something entirely different to the limited model.Like SS? ;) j/k But beautiful paragraph! :cry: (<== those are happy tears, btw...)

I apologise for my perhaps un-wanted commentary, but everything in the above quote is completely valid regarding the 5th gen Camaro's essence, and I had to add my own 0.02.

_

EllwynX 09-15-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23423)
Like SS? j/k But beautiful paragraph! (<== those are happy tears, btw...)

I apologise for my perhaps un-wanted commentary, but everything in the above quote is completely valid regarding the 5th gen Camaro's essence, and I had to add my own 0.02.

_

I'm find with 'SS' being the limited production Camaro, but Z28 should be the 'Top Dawg' Mainstream production Camaro.

Though I WOULD prefer to see ZL1 or something more unique than the all-to-common 'SS' on the limited model. Even something entirely new would be nice. Pay homage to the poor departed Firebird by calling it the Camaro Phoenix or something. LOL

I used to (years ago) have a great idea (well, I thought it was) for the Camaro's 'mascot' to be a dragon. I mean, the Mustang had it's horsie, the Firebird had it's Phoenix (I HATE hearing 'Screaming Chicken'). Since Firebird had a mythological creature, I felt the dragon was the only fitting 'being' worth of the name Camaro.

I even had this commercial thought up. heh It showed a horse (Mustang) running across a vast field. Every few seconds something metallic would flash across the screen. On the final 'flash' of metallic scales (you can now tell it's scales in this flash) the screen goes blank and you hear the horse screaming (nothing too horrible, it has to be on tv ya know lol) and some slight sounds of what could be a scuffle. (Hey dragons get hungry and eat mustangs occasionally. hehe)

One more 'flash' and the dragon is 'frozen' in place with the word CAMARO emblazoned in front of it (sideview of the dragon in flight). A highly sylized dragon image integrated with the word Camaro was the symbol I envisioned.

Or some such thing. It was just me with a crazy idea way back when. LOL

Oh, and I'm glad at least SOMEONE agrees with me. :)

JeepinMatt 09-15-2007 09:10 PM

I'll make my own special edition. Buy one cheap(er) and used, then get to work stiffening up the chassis. Better braking system, all new suspension, massage the engine. Start trimming for weight etc...

Mr. Wyndham 09-16-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 23433)
I used to (years ago) have a great idea (well, I thought it was) for the Camaro's 'mascot' to be a dragon. I mean, the Mustang had it's horsie, the Firebird had it's Phoenix (I HATE hearing 'Screaming Chicken'). Since Firebird had a mythological creature, I felt the dragon was the only fitting 'being' worth of the name Camaro.

I even had this commercial thought up. heh It showed a horse (Mustang) running across a vast field. Every few seconds something metallic would flash across the screen. On the final 'flash' of metallic scales (you can now tell it's scales in this flash) the screen goes blank and you hear the horse screaming (nothing too horrible, it has to be on tv ya know lol) and some slight sounds of what could be a scuffle. (Hey dragons get hungry and eat mustangs occasionally. hehe)

One more 'flash' and the dragon is 'frozen' in place with the word CAMARO emblazoned in front of it (sideview of the dragon in flight). A highly sylized dragon image integrated with the word Camaro was the symbol I envisioned.

Or some such thing. It was just me with a crazy idea way back when. LOL

Oh, and I'm glad at least SOMEONE agrees with me. :)

I'll always agree with someone who thinks like I do...;) :laugh: just kidding.

And, I can't quite put my finger on it...but I like that Dragon idea...not sure why I like it so much;)
Have you ever seen that new Q-motor oil commercial, where the oil-horses are galloping around the Ferrari? I could see some dragons flying around the Camaro in the same way...or, better, continue with your Idea, and instead of staying as an animal - the Dragon fluidly turns into the Car, then your "CAMARO"

That would be freakin Wicked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepinMatt
I'll make my own special edition. Buy one cheap(er) and used, then get to work stiffening up the chassis. Better braking system, all new suspension, massage the engine. Start trimming for weight etc...

You won't be the only one with that idea...I love seeing people's truly unique cars. It shows how much they really care about their vehicles. :clap:

JeepinMatt 09-16-2007 12:27 AM

Mine may end up being something of a sleeper. I'm not really a fan of wild paint schemes, big chrome wheels, giant wings etc... Fuction over form yields it's own "look" and coolness, IMHO

Mr. Wyndham 09-16-2007 01:13 AM

Those are the onesI respect the most. Anything that hints like the owner had rice that night for dinner...I look the other way.:iono: I'm petty like that :D

EllwynX 09-16-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23456)
I'll always agree with someone who thinks like I do...;) :laugh: just kidding.

And, I can't quite put my finger on it...but I like that Dragon idea...not sure why I like it so much;)
Have you ever seen that new Q-motor oil commercial, where the oil-horses are galloping around the Ferrari? I could see some dragons flying around the Camaro in the same way...or, better, continue with your Idea, and instead of staying as an animal - the Dragon fluidly turns into the Car, then your "CAMARO"

That would be freakin Wicked!

I actually like the idea of the dragon morphing into a new Camaro at the end even better. Or have it land, turn toward the camera and exhale a huge flameball that, when clear, reveals only a Camaro sitting where the dragon was seconds before.

Mr. Wyndham 09-16-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 23504)
...Or have it land, turn toward the camera and exhale a huge flameball that, when clear, reveals only a Camaro sitting where the dragon was seconds before.

^ That's It. GM, are you listening? Free commercial ideas! ;)

Now, to settle on that hood design(paint)...:D