Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   How can I run 2 computers in a 2010 camaro one stock & one with a tune ???? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80977)

2010 Bumblebee 05-02-2010 11:52 AM

How can I run 2 computers in a 2010 camaro one stock & one with a tune ????

Hello,
I hope I chose the correct category to place my post.

Without all the technical terms and abbreviations that I don''t know, is it possible to copy a 2010 camaro L99 V8 A6 computer and run either computer at any given time.

Another words have two computers and swap them back and forth? One with the stock tune, and one with another tune, to play with, or other tweaks??

If so will the car or the computer tell on you ? Will it throw codes? Will it say hey I've gone 1000 miles since the the last time I was plugged in something must be wrong ??

If possible what's the process? And how much does a new 2010 camaro computer go for right now?

What is the computer part number or spec number ? (is there more than one part to it?)

What software do I need to do it ??

Any links to the parts or software??

danhr 05-02-2010 12:02 PM

just get hp tuners. read your stock tune and save it. then save a seperate tune for whatever on your laptop, or however many different tunes you want. whenever you want ot switch, you have to reflash your pcm (takes about 10 seconds).

here's a dumb question... why do you want to do this?

2010 Bumblebee 05-02-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danhr (Post 1796924)
just get hp tuners. read your stock tune and save it. then save a seperate tune for whatever on your laptop, or however many different tunes you want. whenever you want ot switch, you have to reflash your pcm (takes about 10 seconds).

here's a dumb question... why do you want to do this?

What I'm looking for is to duplicated my stock computer and put the duplicate in the car and if there is a problem I want to be able to put the original computer back.

So once the second computer is programed I want them to be interchangeable.

Mr_Draco 05-02-2010 02:49 PM

I'm afraid doing what you're wanting isn't as easily done as you think.

The ECM's are a royal pain to get to and are not meant to be changed out like the way you are wanting.

Then you have to get around the ECM storing the miles that was driven with that ECM installed. If the ECM and the odometer doesn't match up then GM will know something is up.

SSOOCH 05-02-2010 03:27 PM

GM will know if you're swapping out ECM's.

I'm afraid if you want to play, you gotta pay. And one of those ways is voiding your warranty.

600hp-lpe 05-02-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 1797452)
GM will know if you're swapping out ECM's.

I'm afraid if you want to play, you gotta pay. And one of those ways is voiding your warranty.

yup.. either stay stock w/ warranty, or mod and pay.

Chances are if you get work done at a quality shop, you won't need fixes/warranty work on the engine.

2010 Bumblebee 05-03-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 1797361)
I'm afraid doing what you're wanting isn't as easily done as you think.

The ECM's are a royal pain to get to and are not meant to be changed out like the way you are wanting.

Then you have to get around the ECM storing the miles that was driven with that ECM installed. If the ECM and the odometer doesn't match up then GM will know something is up.

I was thinking about this. But does the ECM read the odometer or is the odometer in the ECM?? And does the ECM even care if the next time it's plugged in a 1000 mile has gone by ?

I just want to play with stuff. My car is 100% stock. I like to tinker and learn stuff. I'd like to turn off the AFM and play with the cooling fans, shift points, tune it, ect.. But leave it stock.

el ess A 05-03-2010 06:31 AM

Refer to posts 5 and 6 above. Sage advice and +1 on that from me.

Unfair 05-03-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee (Post 1797183)
Warantee issues.

I'm concerned about the flash counter.

What I'm looking for is to duplicated my stock computer and put the duplicate in the car and if there is a problem I want to be able to put the original computer back.

So once the second computer is programed I want them to be interchangeable.

So you want to be able to mess up your own car and fraud your warranty to have GM pay for damage you might cause? awesome.

GaryTucker 05-03-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unfair (Post 1799719)
So you want to be able to mess up your own car and fraud your warranty to have GM pay for damage you might cause? awesome.

Why not right? There are tuners on here actually selling software that supposedly will allow the purchaser the ability to scam GM...why wouldn't an individual think it is ok? :yikes:

I'm with all of you. My new car would be quite a bit cheaper if we didn't have the cost of warranty fraud (as GM knows they won't catch it all) built into the base cost of my vehicle.

I just wish GM would do a pro-rata reimbursement of warranty expense for those of us that never have to utilize the service...but that will never happen as those of us that don't abuse the system or even use the system get to pay for those that do... Hmmm...that sounds like some other system we are all facing... ;)

To the OP...Pay to Play is the way to approach your modifications. If you can't afford to fix what you break after you modify it...then leave it alone.

DangerZL1 05-03-2010 12:16 PM

[/QUOTE=GaryTucker;1800040]
I just wish GM would do a pro-rata reimbursement of warranty expense for those of us that never have to utilize the service...but that will never happen as those of us that don't abuse the system or even use the system get to pay for those that do... Hmmm...that sounds like some other system we are all facing... ;)
[/QUOTE]

If GM allowed people to opt out of the warranty and receive cash, then the price of the Camaro would go up if estimated warranty costs are averaged over all Camaro's produced. They'd be paying for warranty costs they might not incur.

DangerZL1 05-03-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryTucker (Post 1800040)

If GM allowed people to opt out of the warranty and receive cash, then the price of the Camaro would go up if estimated warranty costs are averaged over all Camaro's produced. They'd be paying for warranty costs they might not incur.