Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Convertible Trailer Hitch (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229871)

ChrisZXWJ 06-11-2012 09:59 AM

Convertible Trailer Hitch

1 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to post this...hope it helps someone.

I was searching for information on a trailer hitch for convertibles and not finding too much information. I needed a way to carry my bikes since the back seats don't fold down.

I installed a Curt Manufacturing Hitch #11222. It installed with four bolts in no more than 12 minutes and zero swear words. It's not the most hidden thing, but I think it blends in well enough when the bike rack isn't installed.

fishface 06-11-2012 10:07 AM

Looks good, I love biking and my camaro:thumbup:. Have any pics without bikes on. Would love this otherwise im stuck taking the wifes van when biking. :(

Verbolten 06-11-2012 11:14 AM

Nice setup...

HDRDTD 06-11-2012 12:26 PM

As a matter of fact, last year when I bought my Vert, the company I work for was sharing one of our buildings with Curt Manufacturing, and they noticed I had a new 2011 Camaro Vert.
One of there engineers approcahed me and asked If they could borrow my car to make a few measurements to develop a hitch for it, and maybe use my car to test the fit of it. They offered to install one for free when they were done designing it as a show of gratitude, but I delined the offer.

My other car already has a hitch, and boy did I catch grief from people the min I even mentioned the thought of putting a hitch on a Camaro.

plan-b 06-11-2012 09:57 PM

Any pics of the hitch receiver without the bike rack installed? This is very cool.

ChrisZXWJ 06-12-2012 08:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple pictures of the hitch receiver without the rack. It's definitely not nearly as hidden as some off the custom hitches I've seen people put on the coupe but for a super-easy install, I'm more than happy.

Verbolten 06-12-2012 11:33 AM

Looks nice... I will be adding one to my vert if I ever get around to buying one..

fishface 06-12-2012 11:38 AM

Not that bad at all thanks for the extra pics.

plan-b 06-12-2012 11:05 PM

I'm seriously considering doing this. It's the best of both worlds, you get to drive the fun car to your bike ride.

ChrisZXWJ 06-13-2012 02:46 PM

Exactly my thought. I've been pleasantly surprised how well everything's gone. I bought a Thule Helium rack (pretty light and easy to remove)...and that's been great too.

blackswan 07-31-2013 09:06 AM

I've ordered two of the same hitch. Why two? Because each time the shipper sends it in really sad packaging/shape. Both times, from different companies, they were destroyed (dented and powder coat). Where have people got one delivered nice and clean?

kevinw 08-05-2013 09:05 PM

that is cool. i had a 86 Camaro with a trailer, frame hitch on it, i think it was Drawtite. i actually pulled a 15 foot boat around with it, and even long trips. it was a 15 foot runabout with a 85 evinrude. so, lets make these camaros tow vehicles! ha ha

TechSPC 08-26-2020 12:02 PM

I know this is an old thred but I just bought a 2013 and have a curt hitch I'm about to fit to it. I don't have any of the rear V bracing referenced in the instructions. Does anyone have any pictures of under the car once the mount is installed? If I'm missing it I want to order what I need or get it from a bone yard. I figure it's important on the vert.

scrampker 08-01-2021 06:05 PM

I want to pull the trigger on one of these hitches, (they're surprisingly hard to find right now,) but I'm getting conflicting information about whether it's compatible with an SS vert. I've never seen a Camaro that looks like the one in the OG post. Is that a V6? I'm skeptical because the V8 has extra trim that could get in the way.