Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hill Start Assist - Improvement or a Step Back (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238543)

ChrisBlair 12-19-2012 04:32 PM

Another solution looking for a problem

Your manual trans car has an emergency brake. Set it on the hill, leave it set. Start to pull away gently, and release e-brake when the car starts to pull against it. Simple. Does not harm anything

Mouse6.2 12-19-2012 04:49 PM

I'll put my $2 in on this Hill Assist. It activated on me for the first time today on a slight incline and yes, I killed the engine. I guess it depends on the individual but for me it is an extra item that I don't need, like the Skip Shift. I'll have it turned off when I get my tune.

PalmerGA 12-19-2012 06:11 PM

God made out feet long enough to have our right heel on the brake and our right toes on the gas pedal for just such occasions. That's how we did it in "the old days". Dear Chevy - don't mess with God's plan. Drop the HSA feature.

**NOTE** No religious insults or implications either pro or con were intended by this post.
:D

sean69cam 12-19-2012 07:00 PM

I stalled twice on the same hill. I was even thinking ahead when I came up to the hill. I never applied foot brake, just used emergency. I was expecting hill hold to be off at this time but it wasnt. I burned the clutch a little waiting on the assist to turn off for the third try. I hope I get used to this thing because right now it is frustrating.

77rs 12-19-2012 08:20 PM

Just a question pertaining to the idiots behind you, on a hill, with the assist engaged. What if the brake lights went on while you are sitting there, waiting for the hill holder to disengage and you stall out- brake lights still on so thev guy behind doesn't ram you until you re-start the car, wait for the disengagement, then go. Nearly EVERYONE thinks when your brake lights go off, you're moving forward. NOT.

Norm Peterson 12-22-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadieWingZ (Post 5932977)
Works fine for me during the 2 weeks I've owned mine. I actually like it; especially when the bozo behind me on the hill thinks they have to get right on my bumper cuz they're in such a hurry.....:cool:

Sorry, but the last thing I want to do would be to cater to that kind of bozo. I'm perfectly willing to let my car roll back a couple or a few inches, just enough for him to wonder if it might really be him creeping forward against his brakes. A rear-ender that comes down to "he-said - he said" rarely favors the guy behind.

I'll also drop my cars in neutral with no brake applied if the road is level enough and the red light or other traffic stop is long enough.

The times I've had a rear bumper tapped when stopped at a light or other forced reason to be stopped have been when my brake lights were in fact lit

Norm

Nessal 12-22-2012 10:15 AM

In my opinion this is a problem with more seasoned drivers because we know how to take off at the edge of stalling to save on clutch wear and gas. However, any obstruction by the means of the brake puts it over the edge and stalls it.

mikeyg36 12-22-2012 10:39 AM

GM needs put out a TSB where they update it so it shuts off when throttle is applied. Or just make it fully defeatable.

Dupree878 01-02-2013 03:31 AM

Discovered that if HSA comes on before you pull up the emergency brake, it's still on when you drop the hand brake. You have to engage the hand brake before the warning shows up on the display.
Big hills where I know I'm likely to roll some, I've always used the hand brake anyway so no prob. It's the little ones that don't look intimidating that'll get you.
I stalled in my dad's driveway on Xmas, in the Walmart parking lot and stopped at a red light in town since I last posted because of HSA

I can't get a tune while under warranty so I pray someone will sell a way to defeat it a la SkipShift

l008com 01-19-2013 05:06 PM

I have a 2013 on order and I'm getting nervous. I stalled one on a test drive many times. I thought it was just a faster clutch engagement. But then I started to think, maybe it was this "feature". I can see myself getting VERY upset about this. Here's hoping theres a hack to disable it before I get mine.

And I'm mostly posting this just so I'm subscribed to this thread, so when a solution arrives, I'll get it right away.

2Muchmark 06-21-2013 11:44 PM

Hill Assist is freakin' CRAP, at least it is on a manual camaro.

Twice 4 times now on the same small hill, this ridiculous feature kicks in, and 4 times now I've stalled it, BUT - it gets worse.

When trying to move forward the car stays completely still - it feels like I'm pressing up against a brick wall or something. Then when it finally lets go it stalls AND emits a bad burning smell. It's not an oil smell, and its definitely not something that I think was caused by friction, but who knows.

GM : HILL ASSIST IS A DUMB IDEA that should be at least be able to disable it via MyLink or some other simple way instead of having to hack it.

2012-1822 06-22-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simoneves (Post 5319021)
My current drive (2009 BMW 128i) has Hill Assist and it works seamlessly... as soon as the clutch bites, the brakes release... no need to use any more gas than you'd expect for such a hill, compared with just using the handbrake.

Given that the handbrake in a Camaro is stupidly on the passenger side of the tunnel and therefore hardly optimised for smooth hill-starts, these concerns... concern me!

I don't care how great it works, I'm so glad I got the '12 without it. I guess I like being fully in control of the vehicle, but I learned to drive on a '42 Willys surplus, offroad, hilly environment.

As fas as placement of the E brake on the Camaro, I'm great with it, it's not out of reach at all, wouldn't want in the way of the shifter anyway

Jim968 06-22-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Muchmark (Post 6700340)
Hill Assist is freakin' CRAP, at least it is on a manual camaro.

Twice 4 times now on the same small hill, this ridiculous feature kicks in, and 4 times now I've stalled it, BUT - it gets worse.

When trying to move forward the car stays completely still - it feels like I'm pressing up against a brick wall or something. Then when it finally lets go it stalls AND emits a bad burning smell. It's not an oil smell, and its definitely not something that I think was caused by friction, but who knows.

GM : HILL ASSIST IS A DUMB IDEA that should be at least be able to disable it via MyLink or some other simple way instead of having to hack it.

Solution here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649

l008com 06-22-2013 10:52 AM

Interesting. If I was having the problems some of you guys are having (my system seems to behave well and rarely activate), I'd definitely give that a shot.

fish907 06-22-2013 06:42 PM

I had a real problem with this 'feature' at first, but after adjusting my takeoff when it activates, I have gotten used to it. The key is just to take off like you're on flat ground, and forget everything you know about driving a manual on the hills.

I think the whole point, though, is that it needs to be defeatable for those that don't want to adjust their driving style. Nothing wrong with that, and there needs to be a simple way to turn it off.

mrmertz 06-22-2013 06:50 PM

2013 2SS and ZL1...HSA is the worst feature ever put on a vehicle. I wouldn't have chosen a manual tranny anyways if I did know how to use it in the first place.

Don't know whether I'll be replacing pads first or a new clutch because of it.

I hate it. I also put that in my comments in the JD Powers report.

camaro1350 06-22-2013 07:23 PM

I have a 13 1LT and have no issues with the hill assist. As soon as release the clutch it the hill assist releases never stalled mine.

l008com 07-20-2013 10:09 PM

FYI mine has stopped releasing nicely when I get off the clutch. It has started holding on again, so I almost stall it, and buck the car like I'm a ****ing novice every time I take off with it engaged. I hate this "feature".

LikaRokBowTie 07-20-2013 10:27 PM

HSA also known as FPITA,this crap engages on the slightest incline around where I live.Now I have been beating it by going into nuetral and almost completely stopping and shifting into first and getting back on the gas at stop signs.This of course doesn't work at stop lights and I swear I could smell the clutch burning on my last ride where I encountered a few lights with a little incline.But it is what it is,and as long as the car is under warranty it'll be Chevys problem not mine.I don't plan on keeping it past the warranty time anyway.

Terryble 07-21-2013 12:23 AM

So my car stall @ ~ 400rpms... I like to take off at 5-600... usually by just easing off the clutch, then once it starts to bite, easing on the gas. There arent very many hills in houston that this doesnt work on... except when hsa comes on and cause that sweet spot to drop me to 40-> still. Ive been suck8ng it up because its mostly flat and a rarely encounter it. Except now it has been activating on flat ground. Plan on taking my car to the dealership for warranty, any ideas if I can get them to put the auto yaw sensor in instead?

Also to those that xonstantly have people getting to close to them, just sit there. Make them back up before you go. When I was first learning to drive stick I sat through 3 green lights at richmond and hwy 6 because some guy got on my ass and I wasnt proficient at hill starts yet. plus it was my moms car. After the third he backed up and got into the other lane, next time the light changed, I proceeded on my way. The look of anger was priceless. I think he started to follow me, but since I wasnt near my destination he soon gave up. Since then ive gotten beeter and can usually start on a hill without any backwards motion so people on my ass doesnt bother me as much. Also when I see soneone coming up beh8nd me I generally let the car roll slightly to let them know whats up. According to defensive driving, you should be able to see the tires of the person in front of you contact the ground. So in texas, even if you admit to rolling back into them, if theybwere too close it is still considered their fault.

13BlackCamaroSS 07-21-2013 06:28 AM

I have yet to kill the car thank god, but I truely hate this feature. There should be a switch to turn on/off for those that want or don't want it on. This crap better not be on the C7 as is wasn't on my C6.

SSRS1LE 07-21-2013 08:35 AM

For those of you that may not have seen it, I came up with a fix to disable HSA a couple months ago. It involves changing out the Yaw-Sensor for a non-HSA version.

I posted the article in the DIY & How-To section:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649

daytripper 07-22-2013 01:27 PM

I live in East TN where it is mountainous and hilly. I wish my '12 Camaro had hill assist. I have a 2013 GT500 w/hill assist and it works great. It can also be easily turned off,though I dont know why anyone would.

Norm Peterson 07-22-2013 02:45 PM

If it ever gets in the way to the point you repeatedly stall your GT500 or burn rubber to keep it from stalling, you'll understand (and probably hate it just as badly as the rest of the folks here who hate theirs). Bet that bike doesn't have HSA . . .

Norm

Goober 07-22-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem (Post 5316935)
Ford has it on the 2013 Mustang too.

You don't need it if you can drive a manual properly, nor do you need to use the parking brake.

This.

It's a sign of the times that people are such wusses they need a frigging hill assist on a Camaro. Come on man! That's pathetic.