Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Exhaust question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323525)

Bigw 10-16-2013 09:52 PM

Exhaust question

I just got 2ss a couple of months ago, I am looking into doing the exhaust system over winter and am thinking of the borla catback atak or the borla 3 inch dual. The one thing I am unsure of is if I go with the 3 inch exhaust piping on the stock 2ss will the car still run properly.

snaphappy 10-16-2013 10:45 PM

I can't answer your specific question, but lots of guys on here have that catback and love it. So I think you'll be fine, doubt you'll need a tune or anything like that. When you get it done post some vids!!!

blake2010ss 10-17-2013 12:07 AM

It shouldnt be a problem. Unless you go big horsepower down the road, I would just buy the 2.5" as the 3" isnt really going to give you any gains for the extra money spent.

Apex Motorsports 10-17-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigw (Post 7099728)
I just got 2ss a couple of months ago, I am looking into doing the exhaust system over winter and am thinking of the borla catback atak or the borla 3 inch dual. The one thing I am unsure of is if I go with the 3 inch exhaust piping on the stock 2ss will the car still run properly.

Going to 3 inch with not have any negative effects on your car.

ABMLS3 10-17-2013 08:45 AM

I have the atak and love ot

Rocky1974 10-17-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigw (Post 7099728)

As long as you don't mess with the cats or anything in front of them, you are not going to change how the car runs, just how it sounds. 3 inch is not going to hurt anything, but it is not going to gain you anything either.

omgitsmikeyC 10-17-2013 01:38 PM

If you leave stock cats on, no issue running and no tune needed. Remove the cars or go hearders and you will need a tune. World of difference in sound and performance once you do though.

ModBargains.com 10-17-2013 01:48 PM

Going with the larger diameter piping is just fine. I tend to ask customers to look around youtube to see what the best exhaust is and then just determine it based on that. The Borla systems all sound great, so you can't really go wrong there.

Let me know if you need any help with those ;)

RJT-SS 10-17-2013 07:46 PM

The only thing you might have an issue with using a 3 in exhaust is clearance with the tunnel brace. Some do, some don't. Just something to be aware of.

Bigw 10-17-2013 08:23 PM

I wasn't expecting to get so many answers so fast, thanks for the help. I was thinking the 3 inch because I want to go with a 2.9L whipple super charger but because of cost that won't happen for at least a year, I know if I go with the catback atak I will have to upgrade the exhaust again when I do the super charger any way, but I'm concerned with losing exhuast velocity and some power in the mean time if I get the the 3 inch duel system.

RJT-SS 10-17-2013 08:36 PM

You don't need to go to 3 in even with the super charger. Like Rocky1974 said, it's not going to hurt but it is not going to gain you anything either. For a 2.5 inch exhaust to become a restriction problem, you would need to be pushing 700+ hp. I have just read enough threads on here with guys that have clearance issues here-and-there with the 3 inch exhausts. To be fair, many haven't had problems either..... just something to think about. Good luck!

Bradstracks.com 10-18-2013 12:14 PM

Magnaflow system

I have a new, complete "cat - back" bolt-on Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust system (part number 16483) for a 2010 - 2014 Camaro, still in it's factory box and bubble wrapping.
I think it might work with a V-6, but I know it will work on a V-8, for sure.
This is a $1,500.00 system that will make your car sound much better! It has polished round tail pipes.
I'm only asking $899.00
Thanks, Brad 760-298-4027

JDP Sales 10-18-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJT-SS (Post 7102736)
The only thing you might have an issue with using a 3 in exhaust is clearance with the tunnel brace. Some do, some don't. Just something to be aware of.

most of the issues people have with clearance are from the install rather than the exhaust itself. Just have to take your time and know the tricks to get it to sit correctly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigw (Post 7102835)
I wasn't expecting to get so many answers so fast, thanks for the help. I was thinking the 3 inch because I want to go with a 2.9L whipple super charger but because of cost that won't happen for at least a year, I know if I go with the catback atak I will have to upgrade the exhaust again when I do the super charger any way, but I'm concerned with losing exhuast velocity and some power in the mean time if I get the the 3 inch duel system.

3 inch piping will not hurt, nor help performance. One benefit of going 3" is that they tend to have a deeper tone than 2.5" systems.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Bigw 10-22-2013 04:36 PM

I think I'm gonna go with the catback atak for now and later upgrade to 3 inch once I can afford the 2.9L whipple super charger.