Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   O2 Sensor won't break loose (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270656)

AirManFL 01-12-2013 03:40 PM

O2 Sensor won't break loose

UPDATE:
If you can't get the an o2 sensor out, it is probably because you are trying to remove it after the exhaust manifold has cooled down. The manifold needs to be heated to remove the sensors. Either heat it with a torch, or run the car to heat up the exhaust before attempting to remove.
I ended up only installing one o2 sensor and drove the car until I could get a new one. I had a CEL but the car ran fine.

Installed my headers and got everything 90% back together and I can't even get the O2 sensor to break loose with a pipe wrench and a 4' breaker bar.

So now I'll have to wait and see if my local GM dealer has one in stock on Monday.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing it's a bad idea to start it up without it. Any help?

Rob

nyrfan 01-12-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirManFL (Post 6027077)
Installed my headers and got everything 90% back together and I can't even get the O2 sensor to break loose with a pipe wrench and a 4' breaker bar.

So now I'll have to wait and see if my local GM dealer has one in stock on Monday.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing it's a bad idea to start it up without it. Any help?

Rob

I've read to spray some wd40 or liquid wrench and let it sit overnight. It will work it's way in and should come out easy in the morning. Letting it penetrate for a period is the key. Don't forget to put antiseize on the new ones and the new bolts.

Felix - Sent from my 2SS/RS

tramtwo 01-12-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Rob

Most take em out warm

tramtwo posted this on the go

driyac 01-12-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Rob

Go to the store and get a torch, heat those bitches up and they will break loose. If not you are looking at $80 a pop for those sensors.

KARBON 01-12-2013 03:54 PM

heat it at the base of the threads with a butane torch and it should come out.

AirManFL 01-12-2013 04:13 PM

It's pretty much destroyed at this point. I have to buy a new one.

Just wish I could drive my car.

AirManFL 01-12-2013 04:48 PM

The sensor started coming out easy and got almost a full turn and then locked up. We couldn't even get it to go back in.
All the others broke loose and we took them out with our fingers.

I was looking forward to posting up a video of my new exhaust.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Rob

heymatt 01-12-2013 05:58 PM

Sounds like it's cross threaded.

tramtwo 01-12-2013 06:03 PM

Hook up front two and enjoy... it will smell and cause a CEL but i dont think it will hurt anything. But I'm a risk taker. :D

tramtwo posted this on the go

CamaroSSpence 01-12-2013 06:13 PM

I use a product from CRC called Freeze Out - it is far better than WD40 or PB Blaster for getting through rust. The key is to apply it and let it sit for a few hours. I also recommend using heat as an alternative (or in addition to) the penetrating oil.

MarylandSpeed 01-12-2013 06:31 PM

A lot of times, they are cross threaded from the factory and very hard to get out. It helps to have the specific O2 sensor socket that most auto parts stores sell. Still I would say one out of every 5 customers will end up needing to replace an O2 sensor:(

GaBoy25 01-12-2013 06:35 PM

Use a o2 socket and a impact wrench......like butter son.

Of course install anti seize afterwards.

C586 01-12-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSSpence (Post 6027581)
I use a product from CRC called Freeze Out - it is far better than WD40 or PB Blaster for getting through rust. The key is to apply it and let it sit for a few hours. I also recommend using heat as an alternative (or in addition to) the penetrating oil.

That's because WD40 is not a penetrant. Ill never understand why people try spray it on rusty parts and think it will help. It won't. Freeze out is a great product. I'm a huge fan of PB blaster though too.

GaBoy25 01-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C586 (Post 6027690)
That's because WD40 is not a penetrant. Ill never understand why people try spray it on rusty parts and think it will help. It won't. Freeze out is a great product. I'm a huge fan of PB blaster though too.

PB blaster ='s winning.

Frame that chit and call it official;)