Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Reuse or replace clutch? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306333)

xjer22x 07-07-2013 11:35 PM

Reuse or replace clutch?

So I recently blew my motor. So in the process of taking the motor out I got a good look at my clutch.

I had a McLeod RXT twin disk clutch and their steel flywheel. Just around 8,000 miles I believe to be on her.

I am looking for opinions on whether you think I should replace everything or if you think its still usable?

Here's some shots of the clutch and flywheel.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/u7u8y7uh.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/y8u8ejuz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/ymedusur.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/a6azehaj.jpg

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.

Chris82xx 07-07-2013 11:55 PM

The contact surface on the flywheel looks pretty well scorched. You can probably get if resurfaced, but contact McLeod about rebuilding it. You're gonna have the motor out for a period of time anyway, so better safe than sorry. It sucks what happened, but the last thing you need is something happening to the clutch where now you would need to have everything apart again.

xjer22x 07-08-2013 12:43 AM

Yeah, this now being the 3rd time I have seperated the motor from the trans haha.

now you got me wondering the cost difference between rebuilding and purchasing new.

Thanks man.

SSE 4 2SS 07-08-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjer22x (Post 6761876)
Yeah, this now being the 3rd time I have seperated the motor from the trans haha.

now you got me wondering the cost difference between rebuilding and purchasing new.

Thanks man.

A big part of this equation is are you happy with the clutch, and do you think it will hold you new power goals...

I had a twin disc high hp clutch that sucked... Switched to the triple carbon Slayer and love it... It's a booger to slip.... I'm still learning that portion of driving it.... strictly a driver mod though.... some friends have said it can be done.... very well....

xjer22x 07-08-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 6761939)
A big part of this equation is are you happy with the clutch, and do you think it will hold you new power goals...

I had a twin disc high hp clutch that sucked... Switched to the triple carbon Slayer and love it... It's a booger to slip.... I'm still learning that portion of driving it.... strictly a driver mod though.... some friends have said it can be done.... very well....

Yeah, I actually did like this clutch. Only complaint was A slight chatter while rolling through a parking lot. But other then that it was great. Its rated to over 1000hp so I think it would be capable of what I am going for.

I haven't heard of many of them failing either.

As far as slipping a twin or triple, the key is RPM. Bring that bad boy up to 5000-5500 RPM and start slipping. On the multi disk clutches they will not really slip with low RPM. Not sure If you have tried that out yet.

BullF-16 07-08-2013 09:12 AM

Rebuild it or buy a new one and have that one rebuilt and you have a spare. The clutch will easily hold your power. Im at 758whp on a Mustang dyno and i beat on it very hard with no issues. JMHO

There are a bunch of vettes well over 800whp and loving it. yea, the vette's lighter blah, blah, blah

xjer22x 07-08-2013 02:22 PM

Lol I have no complaints about the clutch really. So I am calling to see what a rebuild would run me and see at that point.

H-E 07-10-2013 09:11 AM

After you get a quote give our Street Slayer a look if you want a CHATTER free clutch that last a LONG time......If we can help you out give us a call anytime.

xjer22x 07-10-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-E (Post 6770724)
After you get a quote give our Street Slayer a look if you want a CHATTER free clutch that last a LONG time......If we can help you out give us a call anytime.

I am always open to options.

What would i be looking at for a clutch to withstand 1000+hp?

Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch 07-11-2013 10:04 AM

Our Level 2 triple is good to to 1500rwhp and is on sale currently, FWIW our twin has been 9.1@153 in a Gen4.

H-E 07-11-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjer22x (Post 6770748)
I am always open to options.

What would i be looking at for a clutch to withstand 1000+hp?

In my experience what you have pictured will not hold a 1000rwhp in the new camaro.To hold 1000rwhp you will need a triple . Our triple will hold 1000rwhp in the new camaro without breaking a sweat and last alot longer than a twin so its alot cheaper in the long run. We rate our clutches for real world in the vehicle there built for.I say it all the time but its alot cheaper to do it right the first time. Please spend a little time searching for results on our product and i think you will find Street Slayer will give you what you hoped for all along . We are not allowed to post a price in this section but you can call anytime or check out StreetSlayer.com. If i can help you give me a call,we also offer a discount to our clutch customers on our other great products.

xjer22x 07-12-2013 10:53 AM

I appreciate the offer but i will only be running at most 900whp. When i stated 1000+hp i was talking flywheel HP.

I did talk to McLeod and am impressed with their response to my request. They offered to build me a customer clutch setup that will be able to handle 1500hp (which i will never see with this car) and the price to rebuild the clutch is a fraction of the cost of a new one.

I won't disclose pricing either but lets just say i would be able to rebuild my clutch over 5 times before even coming close to the price of a street slayer triple disc.

H-E 07-13-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjer22x (Post 6776575)
I appreciate the offer but i will only be running at most 900whp. When i stated 1000+hp i was talking flywheel HP.

I did talk to McLeod and am impressed with their response to my request. They offered to build me a customer clutch setup that will be able to handle 1500hp (which i will never see with this car) and the price to rebuild the clutch is a fraction of the cost of a new one.

I won't disclose pricing either but lets just say i would be able to rebuild my clutch over 5 times before even coming close to the price of a street slayer triple disc.

Well great i hope it works out for you.Will be here if you need us :thumb: