Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New OnStar feature included in Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15812)

joepitt 03-18-2009 11:48 AM

New OnStar feature included in Camaro

There was an announcement of a new feature allowing the car to be slowly stopped if stolen coming to OnStar. Is that included in the Camaro? I think the announcement said something like Selected 2009 vehicles. Now they can disable the car if stopped, but can't do anything when it is moving.

josh1147 03-18-2009 12:08 PM

Yes, it is part of the Onstar service....which you will have to pay for after the 1st year, I believe.

If I'm wrong, I have no doubt that someone will correct me! :D

cam2fst4u 03-18-2009 12:11 PM

yep first year free and then you gotta pay.... Great feature!

mdky2kss 03-18-2009 12:12 PM

I haven't heard for sure if the new Camaro has this slow down feature, but I'm sure it does. It just makes sense. The police will be able to use that feature if they need to and you haven't paid for it. It keeps people from getting hurt in the event of a high speed pursuit.

UCF w00t 03-18-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdky2kss (Post 345623)
I haven't heard for sure if the new Camaro has this slow down feature, but I'm sure it does. It just makes sense. The police will be able to use that feature if they need to and you haven't paid for it. It keeps people from getting hurt in the event of a high speed pursuit.

Does that mean if I was in a high speed pursuit with the 5-0, they'd slow my car down? Not cool lol.

joepitt 03-18-2009 12:18 PM

slow down feature

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 345629)
Does that mean if I was in a high speed pursuit with the 5-0, they'd slow my car down? Not cool lol.

No, you have to report it stolen.;)

trm0002 03-18-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 345629)

You will never be pursuing a 5-0. He will be pursuing you- they can slow him down instead. :D

UCF w00t 03-18-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trm0002 (Post 345632)
You will never be pursuing a 5-0. He will be pursuing you- they can slow him down instead. :D

Well we'll still be in a pursuit together. I didn't specify who was doing the pursuing. :)

trm0002 03-18-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 345637)
Well we'll still be in a pursuit together. I didn't specify who was doing the pursuing. :)

No- get it right. You'll be carbon deposit cleaning...

zzz28zzz 03-18-2009 12:43 PM

From a Police standpoint, this option is very tricky. First you have to get all the right information on the car. License plate number is not always reliable. You have to get the information to the dispatcher that has to call the info into ONSTAR. All while driving at high speeds with all the adrenaline pumping and everything. All of the normal info a police officer has to put out during a pursuit, speed, direction of travel, where and when the bag of crack gets tossed out the window. A whole lot of stuff going on during a pursuit. Most pursuits last less than 10 minutes so this option from ONSTAR is tricky at best.

Nostromo 03-18-2009 12:45 PM

Nice feature, yet a can o' worms.
Likely my insurance company will want me (mandate it) to keep it.
Maybe make a deal to include it in the premium.
Can't wait until hackers concoct a way to stop my Camaro.
Or an ex-girlfriend bearing malice in her heart.

BLUEMARO 03-18-2009 12:46 PM

I believe the slow down feature is only inherent to the SS

Nostromo 03-18-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzz28zzz (Post 345692)
From a Police standpoint, this option is very tricky. First you have to get all the right information on the car. License plate number is not always reliable. You have to get the information to the dispatcher that has to call the info into ONSTAR. All while driving at high speeds with all the adrenaline pumping and everything. All of the normal info a police officer has to put out during a pursuit, speed, direction of travel, where and when the bag of crack gets tossed out the window. A whole lot of stuff going on during a pursuit. Most pursuits last less than 10 minutes so this option from ONSTAR is tricky at best.

RFID will change that soon enough.
They won't even bother sending a roller after your @ss.
Just a Predator drone.

Are I Paranoid? :rolleyes:

trm0002 03-18-2009 12:48 PM

I'm a lot more interested in using it as a "tracker" should the car be stolen. Of course they could just pry the antenna off the roof :(