Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Subthump harness (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106241)

jordan 572 09-16-2010 05:00 PM

Subthump harness

I just got my harness today. I am wondering if I should get rid of the line out converter that is tied into where the rca's would normally be? He had none left with the rca's soldered on so steve just crimped on the loc. Should I pull it off and solder in some rca's? I am worried about sound quality with the loc wouldnt it be better with just straight rca's soldered on? It has an adjustment on the box. How do I know where to adjust it? Also will the signal coming off the harness be high or low output?

CAMARO_MOW 09-16-2010 05:03 PM

I can only answer the output which is low signal for bass.

joeyea323 09-16-2010 05:07 PM

As far as crimped vs soldered, I would always go soldered. Sound quality arguments are always very subjective so it may be tough to come to a consensus there, however soldering the connection DEFINITELY adds reliability. I worked for Circuit City in their install department for 2 years and I can't tell you how many times we've had people come in complaining that a speaker would go in and out only to find out that it was because of the crimp connectors used.

jordan 572 09-16-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMARO_MOW (Post 2337735)
I can only answer the output which is low signal for bass.

so is that what the loc is going to do? Take the low level already coming out of the x3 harness and convert it even lower? Isnt that what loc's do take high level signal and convert it to low level? I am not worried about the crimping rather that idk how to adjust the loc and am worried the loc will hurt signal quality.

Darth_Emma 09-16-2010 05:13 PM

You need to contact steve at ********. He made it clear to me that if anyone has any concerns to contact him directly. Send him a pm. He is very good about returning them.

joeyea323 09-16-2010 05:21 PM

The LOC is there to take the high level signal to the speakers and covert it to a low level signal. If you were to eliminate that LOC and solder on RCAs you would be pushing a high level signal through those RCAs. Check your amplifier as some amps support a high level input. If they don't, keep the LOC on.

jordan 572 09-16-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyea323 (Post 2337815)
The LOC is there to take the high level signal to the speakers and covert it to a low level signal. If you were to eliminate that LOC and solder on RCAs you would be pushing a high level signal through those RCAs. Check your amplifier as some amps support a high level input. If they don't, keep the LOC on.

mine does both. Are you sure it is high level coming out of the x3 harness. Were not splicing into the actual speakers.

jordan 572 09-16-2010 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is what it look like

joeyea323 09-16-2010 05:38 PM

Looking at this site:
http://********.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...-Channels.html

Based on what he says in the install video, I believe you are right in thinking that the signal is low level and that the LOC is unnecessary. At around 0:34 The guy in the video says that it merely "borrows" the signal before it goes into the amp. I don't see any reason why GM would amplify a signal and then run that through another amplifier. If you are impatient like me and have a multimeter you could quickly test it to see if its low level. Otherwise, I would take Darth_Emma's advice and talk to steve about it.

jordan 572 09-16-2010 08:13 PM

I soldered on rca's. So it should still be low signal?

Steve@Subthump 09-17-2010 03:01 AM

All of you are totally overanaylzing the situation. Loc's convert speaker level signal to rca. Every pac adapter out there does this. Look at all the aoem devices. Each loc has a range of wattage where they are effective. We have found that some amps need this device anyway to balance the voltage. So eliminating the unit and using rca's straight on the harness isn't going to make much difference in the final output. But ou may end up needing it anyway, depending on your amp. There is plenty of signal there to be had, even if ran thru the loc. Just FYI, if we could have controlled the cost of buying the added unit a little better, every harness would've had a loc installed and looked identical to the above. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not going to work or you should be scared of it. Hell, I'd put that one into my car anyday. In fact, the harness we used in Darth's SS is identical to that one and it works flawlessly.

jordan 572 09-17-2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve@******** (Post 2339553)
All of you are totally overanaylzing the situation. Loc's convert speaker level signal to rca. Every pac adapter out there does this. Look at all the aoem devices. Each loc has a range of wattage where they are effective. We have found that some amps need this device anyway to balance the voltage. So eliminating the unit and using rca's straight on the harness isn't going to make much difference in the final output. But ou may end up needing it anyway, depending on your amp. There is plenty of signal there to be had, even if ran thru the loc. Just FYI, if we could have controlled the cost of buying the added unit a little better, every harness would've had a loc installed and looked identical to the above. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not going to work or you should be scared of it. Hell, I'd put that one into my car anyday. In fact, the harness we used in Darth's SS is identical to that one and it works flawlessly.

Ok thanks steve. Sorry about all the confussion again.haha

joeyea323 09-17-2010 07:40 AM

My bad, I have a habit of over-analyzing :)

mrray13 09-17-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve@******** (Post 2339553)

What he said!!

In any case, the BA system, and non BA system for that matter, carry ~6VDC in the signal to the speakers. Some amps can deal with it, some can't. The LOC will eliminate the DC current, so those amps that don't like it will run.