Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Plastic Intake Manifolds, What THE... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9775)

Mr. Wyndham 11-18-2008 10:53 PM

...less weight...

improved, easier design/airflow....

cheaper....

Problem? Plastics don't just deteriorate, at least not in our lifetimes. Especially not ones designed to handle the heat and turbulence of an LS-series engine.....It'll be fine.:)

yotaman96 11-18-2008 10:58 PM

Only issue I've seen was from a nitrous backfire. Plastic doesn't like nitrous backfires. :D

headpunter 11-18-2008 11:20 PM

Plastics deteriorate when exposed to ultraviolet radiation, so unless your driving without your hood on your camaro then it wont make a difference

TAG UR IT 11-18-2008 11:32 PM

dude...your "plastic" intake manifold, which is a composition of many different materials (not like a McDonalds plastic straw) will last as long as the car will.

I can not believe you are worried about this. Seriously....this is THE best choice.

haulass350 11-18-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotaman96 (Post 195112)
Only issue I've seen was from a nitrous backfire. Plastic doesn't like nitrous backfires. :D

pretty much nothing likes nitrous backfires.

i used to have a picture where a guy blew his aluminum intake into about 4 pieces from nitrous

Supermans 11-19-2008 12:21 AM

We should have a poll and a vote to send to Scott. Act all serious and stuff, he'll think we've all gone nuts wanting to make the Camaro even heavier...

Rogue Leader 11-19-2008 07:00 AM

Every day I think we have seen every complaint here possible... then someone manages to amaze me and come up with something as ridiculous as this!

Its almost as bad as the guys on the 4thgen sites that are determined to redneck their LS1 cars by removing the emissions, a/c, electronics, etc to "clean up the engine bay" and plan to keep the car forever (because they can do it better than GM... right). Then when the proverbial shit hits the fan and they have to sell their car (inevitable 75% of the time) they wonder why noone will touch their car with a 10 foot pole.

Angrybird 12 11-19-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy (Post 194829)
But its still Plastic, breaks down with age. I guess I'm going to have replace it with an Aluminum one or keep my engine Ultra clean.

What about the L99?

You know nothing about plastics, I work for a company that makes many different plastics, and the ones used for automotive engine applications are chemical and light resistant to deterioration and will last for many many years, plus if you get a crack in one it can be easily repaired with epoxy. some of the advantages of plastic is, Cheaper to make, Lighter, Better air flow, less heat transfer, all which mean more power developed with a plastic manifold than a equal designed aluminum one.

Crowley 11-19-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 194879)
Man! Where have you been?

LOL

RCowan 11-19-2008 08:51 AM

Lighter weight

No heat-soaked intake.... drive it hard, pop the hood, and you can put your hand on the intake and hold it there.

No more bags of ice on the intake at the track

Been doin' it for over 10 years, welcome back from your exile from wheverever. :D

I heard you could actually get rid of the fuel injection and put on a carb if you want. :D Just ribbin' you.

dieseldave24v 11-19-2008 08:53 AM

I want to say this was introduced with the Vortec V-8's. Could have been before then, but that is when I noticed it on my 96 GMC 1500

MajorTom 11-19-2008 11:17 AM

Technically it's a "polymer" which is a fancy way of saying a really strong type of plastic. I don't know how you couldn't have noticed before when looking at pictures of the engine bays of like every Camaro, Corvette, Challenger, Mustang... The list goes on.

stratman 11-19-2008 04:00 PM

This may affect the perception of every comment you make in this forum from here on out. Since you haven't learned yet let me say plastic does not equal cheap. It is as strong if not stronger than your desired Aluminum and much lighter. How have you missed these manifolds? Are you by chance familiar with this crazy new thing called Fuel Injection?