Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Plastic Intake Manifolds, What THE... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9775)

camaro5 11-19-2008 04:28 PM

"I got one piece of advice for you, PLASTICS!".

http://www.cs.uni.edu/~wallingf/blog...d-plastics.jpg

zforce 11-19-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy (Post 194829)
But its still Plastic, breaks down with age. I guess I'm going to have replace it with an Aluminum one or keep my engine Ultra clean.

What about the L99?

:readthethread:If you have an issue with plastic breaking down, than you don't have to worry about the “plastic” intakes. It takes a thousand (1,000) for plastic to breakdown. This is one of the reasons why LA outlawed the use of plastic bags. The intake is made of polymer plastics that are made of other materials like fiberglass that is also used to wrap headers to dissipate heat.

What do you think about the ceramic composite brake disks that are on Corvettes that have a top speed of 200 miles an hour? You think they should be replaced with cheaper material like steel? I guess you haven't seen what happens to these brakes when they are driven hard on the 24 hours long race (forget the name of the race). The steel disks actually melt and forge together with the calipers. That is why they changed them to a ceramic composite material which dissipates heat way faster.
:cool:

DGthe3 11-19-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 194892)
It's plastic. It'll be fine. :slice: GM has put the highest quality parts in this car.

Also, GM has a reputation for durable, hard plastics: old saturn bodies, exterior cladding, 20 years worth of interiors, etc. If those are any indication, a plastic intake should last forever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorTom (Post 195425)
Technically it's a "polymer" which is a fancy way of saying a really strong type of plastic. I don't know how you couldn't have noticed before when looking at pictures of the engine bays of like every Camaro, Corvette, Challenger, Mustang... The list goes on.

Technically, every plastic is a polymer. It has nothing to do with the strength of the material. It refers to the chemical composition of the material. A polymer is a really long chain of monomers. Hair is made up of polymers, as is kevlar. Polymers are a class of material like metals, and ceramics. Plastics are a type of polymer

LSxJunkie 11-19-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratman (Post 195764)
This may affect the perception of every comment you make in this forum from here on out. Since you haven't learned yet let me say plastic does not equal cheap. It is as strong if not stronger than your desired Aluminum and much lighter. How have you missed these manifolds? Are you by chance familiar with this crazy new thing called Fuel Injection?

Yup, he's forever going to be remembered as the guy who was 10 years late to the game.

Mai LS3 haz teh VerTEC!!! VERyTallEngineCooling!!!

Supermans 11-19-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zforce (Post 196000)
LOL:sm0: TRUE TRUE TRUE. I feel for him. What next? Be upset that mail slot scoop in not operational?

You mean the mail slot isn't real?? But it looks real...

Mr. Wyndham 11-19-2008 09:09 PM

Easy now, guys...:respekt:

One Mean Chevy 11-19-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratman (Post 195764)
This may affect the perception of every comment you make in this forum from here on out. Since you haven't learned yet let me say plastic does not equal cheap. It is as strong if not stronger than your desired Aluminum and much lighter. How have you missed these manifolds? Are you by chance familiar with this crazy new thing called Fuel Injection?

Yes, I'm familiar with Fuel Injection, Direct Infection and the Technology GM is working on that allows an engine to run Gas like diesel.

The words Plastic using the same sentence with something that normal has parts made to some kind of metal cause me concern, right now.

8 months ago I was looking for a new chainsaw. All the ones within my price range had the new tooless tensioning system with plastic gears on the inside. So in the end I come to the conclusion that its a chainsaw the plastic gears on the inside should be as hard as a rock or hard. So it buy one the tooless tensioning system. 4 Trees later the system fails in the middle of cutting:mad0260:. To make a long story short it took over 4months to get it fix under warranty because the part was out of stock.

During that time I broke down and cough up the big money for a chainsaw that tensions with tools and uses metal parts to do it.

DGthe3 11-19-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy (Post 196084)
Yes, I'm familiar with Fuel Injection, Direct Infection and the Technology GM is working on that allows an engine to run Gas like diesel.

The words Plastic using the same sentence with something that normal has parts made to some kind of metal cause me concern, right now.

8 months ago I was looking for a new chainsaw. All the ones within my price range had the new tooless tensioning system with plastic gears on the inside. So in the end I come to the conclusion that its a chainsaw the plastic gears on the inside should be as hard as a rock or hard. So it buy one the tooless tensioning system. 4 Trees later the system fails in the middle of cutting:mad0260:. To make a long story short it took over 4months to get it fix under warranty because the part was out of stock.

During that time I broke down and cough up the big money for a chainsaw that tensions with tools and uses metal parts to do it.

As you know by now, plastic gears are essentially useless.

Mr. Wyndham 11-19-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

"Normally" is a relative term...because you just found out about this recently, right? There's been plastic manifolds on LS1s, for instance, since 1998...relatively speaking, plastic intake manifolds aren't a new thing - and they seem to be holding up pretty darn well.

Quote:

...So in the end I come to the conclusion that its a chainsaw the plastic gears on the inside should be as hard as a rock or hard. So it buy one the tooless tensioning system. 4 Trees later the system fails in the middle of cutting:mad0260:.

Luckily...an intake manifold doesn't spin real fast or tear down trees -- it just routes air. You could probably make it out of glass if the ride wasn't so jarring. :D

headpunter 11-19-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 196108)
"Normally" is a relative term...because you just found out about this recently, right? There's been plastic manifolds on LS1s, for instance, since 1998...relatively speaking, plastic intake manifolds aren't a new thing - and they seem to be holding up pretty darn well.

Luckily...an intake manifold doesn't spin real fast or tear down trees -- it just routes air. You could probably make it out of glass if the ride wasn't so jarring. :D

ill make you one out of Paper mache that will last forever

One Mean Chevy 11-19-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Thats good to know.

Quote:

The gears I'm referring to doesn't spin with the engine you turn the dial on the side to tension the chain. Unless you are tensioning the chain the gears don't move.

zforce 11-19-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 196106)
As you know by now, plastic gears are essentially useless.

well not completely useless. I have a Remote Control truck that has plastic gears and they worked for a few years. :)

One Mean Chevy 11-19-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorTom (Post 195425)
Technically it's a "polymer" which is a fancy way of saying a really strong type of plastic. I don't know how you couldn't have noticed before when looking at pictures of the engine bays of like every Camaro, Corvette, Challenger, Mustang... The list goes on.

I mostly like noticed something was different but never crossed my mind that something was a plastic manifold.

Mr. Wyndham 11-19-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy (Post 196129)
The gears I'm referring to doesn't spin with the engine you turn the dial on the side to tension the chain. Unless you are tensioning the chain the gears don't move.

I see. Still you're tensioning and moving things. Intake manifolds just sit there. They offer zero structural support, and they aren't under any real stresses.

Also, bear in mind; not all plastics are created equal. There are some that can repel bullets, and there are some that would break if you farted on it. The plastics they put on engines is high-quality stuff.