Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Plastic Intake Manifolds, What THE... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9775)

CamaroSpike23 11-20-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 195137)
Plastics deteriorate when exposed to ultraviolet radiation, so unless your driving without your hood on your camaro then it wont make a difference

i drive without my hood... at the track.... lol but then again, I have a cast iron intake manifold....

Quote:

Originally Posted by haulass350 (Post 195172)
pretty much nothing likes nitrous backfires.

i used to have a picture where a guy blew his aluminum intake into about 4 pieces from nitrous

was it a sheet metal aluminum intake? or a cast/forged aluminum intake?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 196106)
As you know by now, plastic gears are essentially useless.

werd.... check out the 4th gen trans am headlights....lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 196108)
"Normally" is a relative term...because you just found out about this recently, right? There's been plastic manifolds on LS1s, for instance, since 1998...relatively speaking, plastic intake manifolds aren't a new thing - and they seem to be holding up pretty darn well.

Luckily...an intake manifold doesn't spin real fast or tear down trees -- it just routes air. You could probably make it out of glass if the ride wasn't so jarring. :D

actually, there's been composite (better term instead of plastic lol) intake manifolds on LS1s since 96/97.... (remember, they came on the vettes first)

and actually, ive seen single runner carbon fiber intake manifolds .

check out this W-9 motor....lol
http://www.atomracing.se/

Quote:

Originally Posted by zforce (Post 196148)
well not completely useless. I have a Remote Control truck that has plastic gears and they worked for a few years. :)

and how much power is getting applied to those gears? not a whole lot compared to using the same gear in a car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 196158)
I see. Still you're tensioning and moving things. Intake manifolds just sit there. They offer zero structural support, and they aren't under any real stresses.

Also, bear in mind; not all plastics are created equal. There are some that can repel bullets, and there are some that would break if you farted on it. The plastics they put on engines is high-quality stuff.

actually they do suffer under some stresses, vacuum pressure from the motor does put minute stress on it, but its been developed to withstand that. and if you've ever run nitrous or f/i on it, that adds stress, but still, they are some damn good composites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty 6 (Post 196409)
This has been good information. The engine block is still metal though right?

no, actually they changed it to a carbon fiber design to reduce on weight....

yes its still metal. :drinking:

CamaroSpike23 11-20-2008 04:37 PM

oh, and BowtieGuy.... thanks. thats awesome.

lrc250 11-20-2008 05:09 PM

Well the company I work for produces Zytel® HTN in Richmond, VA and it is used in things like intake manifolds. You can read all about it HERE or just look at a short summary of Zytel listed below.

Engineered for Extremes
High Temperature Solutions

New grades and development ideas using products that help protect against heat, chemicals and aggressive fluids:

DuPont™ Zytel® HTN high performance polyamide – stiffness, strength, mechanical properties despite high temperatures, long-life coolant, chemicals and moisture.

Consider for:

* Automotive - thermostat housings, water pumps, charge air coolers, transmission components, engine oil systems, brake systems, ignition systems and motors

yotaman96 11-20-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty 6 (Post 196409)
This has been good information. The engine block is still metal though right?

Aluminum

Supermans 11-20-2008 05:38 PM

You know the clips that hold the sun visor in place... If it is made out of plastic...that's it, I will cancel my order...

Wm Holden 11-20-2008 05:51 PM

If you have a NO2 backfire they break...but that's it.

Wm Holden 11-20-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 195157)
dude...your "plastic" intake manifold, which is a composition of many different materials (not like a McDonalds plastic straw) will last as long as the car will.

I can not believe you are worried about this. Seriously....this is THE best choice.

actually..every molecule of plastic ever made is still someplace some where...either space or earth...but still in existance....much iron is completely oxidized and well....gone.:bonk:

zforce 11-20-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS (Post 196372)
Since you're such a helpful guy thought I'd help you out, fixed it for you.

why tanks! keep trusting those silly spell checker.

Supermans 11-21-2008 12:11 AM

I want some transparent aluminum in my Camaro...

headpunter 11-21-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 197400)

man i love that novie

zforce 11-21-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 197400)

glass?

Supermans 11-21-2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 197414)
man i love that novie

My all time favorite of all of the Star Trek's. I watched it with my dad in one of the best movie theaters in the world :) I was 7 years old and really into Star Trek at the time watching the original series everyday so the movie was definitely the best.. Nowadays all of the cool futuristic stuff Kirk used like the communicator is not is impactful anymore as back then the only thing beeping in your pocket would have been a pocket pager if it actually fit in your pocket..I sure hope the new Star Trek film with a young Kirk and Spock doesn't aim for an audience that the new Knight Rider tv show seems to go after instead of the loyal fans.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by zforce (Post 197415)
glass?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_aluminum

During Star Trek IV, Scotty (the Enterprises Chief Engineer) had a hilarious scene where he had to give the formula for a futuristic form of a polymer that could withstand enormous water pressure since they needed to transport two whales from the past (our present back in 1986) and take them to the future to save the planet.. Great movie and a very nice ending to the trilogy of Star Trek's II, III, and IV.... I reccomend watching Star Trek II and III first and some of the original TV show episodes like Trouble with Tribbles, Shore Leave, Mirror Mirror and City on the Edge of Forever to get into the show and get to know the characters. What makes the movie so great are the interactions between the lovable characters that you got to know over time.. Rarely do TV show's turn into movies worth watching..

headpunter 11-21-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 197419)
My all time favorite of all of the Star Trek's. I watched it with my dad in one of the best movie theaters in the world :) I was 7 years old and really into Star Trek at the time watching the original series everyday so the movie was definitely the best.. Nowadays all of the cool futuristic stuff Kirk used like the communicator is not is impactful anymore as back then the only thing beeping in your pocket would have been a pocket pager if it actually fit in your pocket..I sure hope the new Star Trek film with a young Kirk and Spock doesn't aim for an audience that the new Knight Rider tv show seems to go after instead of the loyal fans.....

have you seen the new trailer? its amazing http://www.startrekmovie.com/ it will load as soon as you enter the site

Supermans 11-21-2008 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 197431)
have you seen the new trailer? its amazing http://www.startrekmovie.com/ it will load as soon as you enter the site

The scene of the Enterprise or other Constitution class ship being built is amazing. I like Heroes and think Sylar makes a good young Spock (he's almost identical from certain angles that its scary) Young Kirk will tkae some getting used to as he doesn't look anything like The Shat... But yeah this trailer is pretty amazing and brings my hopes up that this will be a movie made for the fans of the original crew.. Thanks for posting the link.. It must have just come out...