Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Supercharger or Turbo? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4807)

Congoman775 06-27-2008 03:04 AM

Supercharger or Turbo?

I plan on getting one of these as an aftermarket mod but im not quite sure as to the pro's and cons as they relate to each other... help??

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

:D

Mr Twisty 06-27-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Congoman775 (Post 83285)
I plan on getting one of these as an aftermarket mod but im not quite sure as to the pro's and cons as they relate to each other... help??

I would wait and see what GM does, there may be a S/C motor in the works.
Biggest con of either from aftermarket is that it will void your warranty.
That's a good question but it's a little early. Both need under hood space that we don't know if we're gonna have just yet.

GOT PSI 06-27-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 83314)
I would wait and see what GM does, there may be a S/C motor in the works.
Biggest con of either from aftermarket is that it will void your warranty.
That's a good question but it's a little early. Both need under hood space that we don't know if we're gonna have just yet.

Not necessarily, there are turbo kits that mount on the exhaust pipes. Can't remember what they are called off the top of my head.

GOT PSI 06-27-2008 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Congoman775 (Post 83285)

It all depends on what you plan to do with the car, what your performance goals are and if you will get a v8 or v6. Give us more info.

a12ozbottle 06-27-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOT PSI (Post 83316)
Not necessarily, there are turbo kits that mount on the exhaust pipes. Can't remember what they are called off the top of my head.

You are thinking about STS remote mount turbo system.

GOT PSI 06-27-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a12ozbottle (Post 83318)
You are thinking about STS remote mount turbo system.

That's the one. Thanks bud.

carsismeZ06 06-27-2008 09:00 AM

supercharger, only ricers use aftermarket turbo's.

radz28 06-27-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 (Post 83326)
supercharger, only ricers use aftermarket turbo's.

+1 I like the look of superchargers better, well, the roots-style anyways. It just seems to me that although, perhaps, better peak power can be produced with turbos (from what I've read and seen) the packaging and tuning are the biggest issues. I'd rather have something simpler. Besides, like I already posted, turbos just don't look quite as nice as a polished twin-screw/roots-style supercharger. I can't say that I particularly like how the intercoolers on the LS9 and LSA look, I understand what they do and that they are necessary. I don't complain about those one bit.

Supercharger here ;)

Mr. Wyndham 06-27-2008 09:37 AM

Niether will void your warranty unless something goes wrong and they can prove it was the power-adder.

I like both, and honestly, I'll probably get whichever one I feel like that day.:D Magnachargers and STS Turbos are both at the very top of my list.

Posters Note: 90% of this is regurgitated information that I've collected from many different places. I haven't installed either, YET. But I've been reading up and looking into it for a long time.

Installation varies with all of them...so I don't think there's any "this is easier than this one" to worry about if you get a kit.

Turbochargers are driven off of the exhaust gasses, essentially using wasted energy. Very few Turbochargers are subject to noticeable lag anymore. But generally, the bigger the Turbo; the more prone it is to lag. If you're getting an under-hood setup, then there's going to be much more heat under there, but if you go the STS route, you don't need to worry about that, since the turbos are mounted in the rear of the car where the mufflers used to be. Turbos (so it's said) don't sap power from the engine to operate. I think they do; just not as much as superchargers. They provide decent low-end power, and excellent high-end power, but again this is all subject to the size of the Turbo.
A key selling point of turbochargers is that if you want to increase power, just "turn up the boost", because there's no mechanical linkage to the engine limiting the Turbo's speed. They also tend to increase fuel economy when they're not making full-boost, which is why OEMs are usig them more widespread.

Superchargers come in a few different types; There's Roots, Twin-Screw, and Centrifugal. They all increase power, and they all give you a seat-of-the-pants feeling, but only the first two do it best.;) The centrifugal-type is basically a Turbocharger driven by a belt, so it comes into full-bost at your highest-rpm, and not before. If you're going to put serious money into Forced Induction...I'd stay away from these. The Roots-style is what GM is using on the ZR1, and CTS-V. It's called positive displacement for a reason; it will increase power ALL the way up the engine revs. So you're essentially driving a bigger engine. The Eaton blowers only use 1/3 hp (taken from their site) at idle and cruise thanks to the bypass valve, so they don't constanly drain power from the engine unless you get on it. Twin-Screw does the same thing, but more efficiently. Because instead of using lobes, that are prone to backflow, and 'leakage' it uses (basically) a screw to push the air in. This style is more advanced, and more difficult to machine, which means it costs more than a roots-style.

ALL of them are directly linked to the engine via a belt. So in order to increase the power coming out of them, you typically have to change a pulley to get it spinning faster. However, roots and screw-type

I like this article, but you might try Howstuffworks.com for a little more info...
http://www.automotivearticles.com/Su...charger_.shtml

Hope that helped a little bit.

Beyond Limits 06-27-2008 11:44 AM

It really comes down to how much work you are willing to put into your forced induction setup to make power. Both a supercharger and a turbo charger will make significant amounts of power but both have their advantages and disadvantages.

In my experience turbos have the ability to make more power then superchargers, especially in dual turbo setups, however it is not just as simple as bolting a turbo and new exhaust manifold to get that power. In order to really take advantage of a turbo you also have to do some significant work on the engine including changing the camshaft and engine timing, compression ratios, and head designs to name a few. By no means an easy weekend project but the results can be phenomenal.

Superchargers on the other hand I think provide the best bang for the buck for getting more power out of an engine, especially a larger engine where the torque loss required to drive the SC is only a small percentage of the starting torque. But more importantly anyone can take a supercharger and bolt it to the intake manifold and realize significant power gains without any other mechanical changes to the motor, a true weekend project. Sure a supercharged engine will benefit from all the additional changes really necessary for a turbo, but you will see far better power improvements from a stock motor with a supercharger then you will with a turbo.

Bottom line is dollar for dollar my money is on a supercharger for forced induction. Plus that whine that comes from the sc is just a bitchin sound to hear going down the road... :D

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

boxmonkeyracing 06-27-2008 12:01 PM

why not both? why not run a supercharger for the instant power off the line so you don't have to brake boost. and then big big turbo that spools up slow for the top end where the supercharger saps power? hmmmm so hard.

lil_red_v6 06-27-2008 12:33 PM

i cant vote i say both......here is y if i get a v8 ill supercharge it maby twin it yes i said twin supercharge......i want to get my hands on 2 prochargers and do a custome twin supercharge to it......v6 ill twin turbo it all the way

Beyond Limits 06-27-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing (Post 83369)
why not both? why not run a supercharger for the instant power off the line so you don't have to brake boost.

The only real reason that I can think of would be the cost involved with all of the custom engineering and fabrication involved with that setup... but if money were no object then sure why not... Hand over blank check and keys, and have a 1,000 hp+ monster handed back to you... :thumbsup:

Robert91RS 06-27-2008 03:13 PM

The old diesel trucks and fire engines used both a turbo and supercharger. And some of the cobra guys are doing it too.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bra/index.html

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/

I guess with enough money you really can make a mustang fast!:sm0: