Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LMR Intake concerns, with pic (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37433)

SGOS252382 08-14-2009 03:47 PM

LMR Intake concerns, with pic

With all the concerns about the LMR intake shield not fitting properly, I thought I'd post a pic.
Here's a pic of the shield before I finished the install. As you can see the shield fits really good and matches the shape of the car well.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/p...takeshield.jpg

After I finished.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp114/SGOS/093.jpg

thecamaroguy 08-14-2009 03:48 PM

You will be very happy with your LMR CAI.

Wait until you hear the change in the sound of your car!

themossman 08-14-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 799215)
With all the concerns about the LMR intake shield not fitting properly, I thought I'd post a pic.
Here's a pic of the shield before I finished the install. As you can see the shield fits really good and matches the shape of the car well.

That actually looks pretty good...if that's exactly how you received it then they must have changed the template since I receive mine as the cut on mine was clearly different.

Keep an eye were it contacts the paint for rubs. The dealer also pointed out to me today that the upper edge of the piece was creating an indentation in the pad on the hood.

SGOS252382 08-14-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themossman (Post 799488)
That actually looks pretty good...if that's exactly how you received it then they must have changed the template since I receive mine as the cut on mine was clearly different.

Keep an eye were it contacts the paint for rubs. The dealer also pointed out to me today that the upper edge of the piece was creating an indentation in the pad on the hood.

Yes, that's how it arrived. No changes were made.

Actually, most of it doesn't even make contact. It looks like it does, but its just away from touching the car. There's really only 3 main contact points on that one side. The very bottom, the spot where it attaches with the nut, and at the very top end where it butts up against the side of the car.

I don't see rubbing being an issue at all.

You obviously got a pre-production model before they finished making changes. Why?:iono:

ffrcobra_65 08-14-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themossman (Post 799488)

I agree. Over time, as the shield vibrates or from periodic handling, the edges that are in contact with the paint will rub and quite possible mar the paint.

If mine, I would get some small vacuum line tubing, preferable the cloth-braided type like those used on classic VW Beetles as they are more plyable/flexible, and measure it to the length of the edge, cut a slit in the middle of the entire length of the vacuum line and attach it to the bottom edge of the shield. The vacuum line will act as a cushion/seal to protect the paint.

hot ss 08-14-2009 05:12 PM

and then the vacuum line, will rub the paint.

put a strip of paint protection film along the area in question.
should only cost pennies.

ffrcobra_65 08-14-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot ss (Post 799567)
and then the vacuum line, will rub the paint.

put a strip of paint protection film along the area in question.
should only cost pennies.

I agree if you use the fancy steel braided ones, will definitely rub paint off. I recommended a cloth-braided vac line. I have had a lot of cars, lots of older cars that have vacuum lines resting against painted parts of the engine bay and never had any issue.
Hmmm..I like your idea of some type of film to put on there.

caverman 08-14-2009 06:28 PM

When your spending around $400 for a CAI you shouldn't have to do anything.

As of now the LMR CAI is my #2 choice. ADM's is #1 in my book at the moment. However I'm still 6 mths away from getting my hands on an SS and I'm sure there will be more options at that time. Not that we necessarily need more options.

themossman 08-14-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 799549)
Yes, that's how it arrived. No changes were made.

Actually, most of it doesn't even make contact. It looks like it does, but its just away from touching the car. There's really only 3 main contact points on that one side. The very bottom, the spot where it attaches with the nut, and at the very top end where it butts up against the side of the car.

I don't see rubbing being an issue at all.

You obviously got a pre-production model before they finished making changes. Why?:iono:

Yeah...I don't know either...but I won't have it for much longer (it was a 'band-aid' so to speak anyway...

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 799878)

As of now the LMR CAI is my #2 choice. ADM's is #1 in my book at the moment. However I'm still 6 mths away from getting my hands on an SS and I'm sure there will be more options at that time. Not that we necessarily need more options.

Unless you're 'dying' to get one(I was due to the work I had done), you might want to hold off for another month or so...pretty soon I think there's only going to be one clear option...but that's speculation on my part. :)

SGOS252382 08-15-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 799878)

No you shouldn't. I believe he was offered a new intake shield or some other deal, because LMR made a mistake by sending him a pre-production kit.

If you look at the pictures he posted in his thread, his intake shield isn't the same as mine.

JJ2010 08-15-2009 08:36 AM

I am always amazed how people can find the smallest thing to complain about......

The LMR CAI is one of the best CAI for the Camaro to date.....

themossman 08-15-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ2010 (Post 801420)
I am always amazed how people can find the smallest thing to complain about......

The LMR CAI is one of the best CAI for the Camaro to date.....

I'm sorry...but scratching paint down to the metal is not a 'small thing'. Everyone that has seen it in person has commented how ridiculous it is and how poorly the the piece is cut.

themossman 08-15-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 801294)
No you shouldn't. I believe he was offered a new intake shield or some other deal, because LMR made a mistake by sending him a pre-production kit.

If you look at the pictures he posted in his thread, his intake shield isn't the same as mine.

Well...LMR wanted me to 'call' the shop...they have my contact info and have yet to ask for my address to send me a new piece.

I continue to sit waiting.

SGOS252382 08-15-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themossman (Post 801838)
Well...LMR wanted me to 'call' the shop...they have my contact info and have yet to ask for my address to send me a new piece.

I continue to sit waiting.

1. Call them
2. Tell them you were sent the wrong intake shield(as discussed on Camaro5)
3. Give them your address
4. New intake shield shows up at you door.