Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   SS vs 5.0 lap times? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324443)

bigssc 10-22-2013 06:04 PM

SS vs 5.0 lap times?

i was looking around and i couldn't find a single thing on the 5.0 nurburgring lap times. does anyone know what it is and if its better/faster then the an SS? i would hope the SS would be better because we all know stock for stock in a straight line the 5.0 wins but what about on a lap course?

jkchambless 10-22-2013 06:07 PM

The 5.0 is still going round......

Mike-D 10-22-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Winning, lol!

Mikamaro 10-22-2013 07:06 PM

No time from Ford at the ring except for the GT and the Focus

RayYork 10-22-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkchambless (Post 7116725)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll:

Seriously though, I run with a 302 regularly and he only ever sees the back of my car except when I lap him and he sees the front for a few more seconds.

trademaster 10-22-2013 07:37 PM

Ford North America doesn't play the 'ring game unfortunately. Ford Europe has done it with the Focus RS and an independent magazine did it with the Ford GT.

bigssc 10-22-2013 10:23 PM

figures. well then we win be default :lol:

ULTRAZLS1 10-23-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigssc (Post 7117513)
figures. well then we win be default :lol:

When the 2010 SS was first tested against the 2011 5.0 it was only .1 tenth of a second slower than a track pack equipped GT around a road course. It wasnt nurburgring. Cant recall for sure but I do know it was tested by car and driver same track same day. If you google it you can find the test. But of coarse some of the mustang crowd said the camaro platform in general was worthless in the handling department...they are eating their words now lol. I couldnt believe the difference in my car after doing springs and sway bars. Subframe bushings help as well.

Now that the standard SS has the updated fe4 suspension it should out handle a GT IMO but I am not positive. It should at the very least be just as good with the update or GM wouldnt have wasted their time.

Cody6.2 10-23-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 (Post 7118856)
When the 2010 SS was first tested against the 2011 5.0 it was only .1 tenth of a second slower than a track pack equipped GT around a road course. It wasnt nurburgring. Cant recall for sure but I do know it was tested by car and driver same track same day. If you google it you can find the test. But of coarse some of the mustang crowd said the camaro platform in general was worthless in the handling department...they are eating their words now lol. I couldnt believe the difference in my car after doing springs and sway bars. Subframe bushings help as well.

Now that the standard SS has the updated fe4 suspension it should out handle a GT IMO but I am not positive. It should at the very least be just as good with the update or GM wouldnt have wasted their time.

Last car 2012 Camaro SS 45th AE, current car 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack. I can tell you with 100% certainty that my Camaro did not handle as well as my Mustang. Given the FE4 was a worth while update anything was better than the FE3 on the 10-11 cars.

MJanowich 10-23-2013 02:42 PM

Unfortunately, on VIR the Mustang GT is .9 seconds faster than a Camaro SS as per Car and Driver's Lightning Lap.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

Considering the Camaro was already a year into production when the 5.0 Mustang GT came out, I'm ok with that. Ford fans really should be happy that the 5th gen Camaro was made because it forced Ford to stop being lazy and put a real engine in their Mustang.

Motortrend is another go-to magazine for lap times (on Laguna Seca) but I can't find one for the regular Mustang GT, just the Boss 302.

woodside783 10-23-2013 02:56 PM

On other sites they are saying that the gt500 is a 8:00 car at the ring hahahaha

ULTRAZLS1 10-23-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody6.2 (Post 7118969)
Last car 2012 Camaro SS 45th AE, current car 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack. I can tell you with 100% certainty that my Camaro did not handle as well as my Mustang. Given the FE4 was a worth while update anything was better than the FE3 on the 10-11 cars.

Funny that you could discern such a minute difference. Like I said before the update the cars were pretty close. The mustang is going to feel more nimble being lighter but that doesnt necessarily mean it will win on a track etc. I have driven a track pack mustang on a couple occasions and it felt swifter/more responsive so I know what your saying. It also gives you a bit more confidence being able to see out of it lol.

About the lightning lap from the other poster. That isnt same day. Comparing times from different days etc is not as relevant IMO. And that is still the 2010-2011 fe3 suspension.

I found the test...it wasnt car and driver it was road and track.

Same track same day .1 second difference with the old suspension set up.

137.7 for camaro and 137.6 for mustang

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ord-mustang-gt

If the fe4 did anything at all the camaro should now be quicker. Well at least on this track with this driver for sure.

Does anyone know of any new comparisons with the 2012 and up SS?

Cody6.2 10-23-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 (Post 7119411)
Funny that you could discern such a minute difference. Like I said before the update the cars were pretty close. The mustang is going to feel more nimble being lighter but that doesnt necessarily mean it will win on a track etc. I have driven a track pack mustang on a couple occasions and it felt swifter/more responsive so I know what your saying. It also gives you a bit more confidence being able to see out of it lol.

I wouldn't call it a "minute" difference as it's quite noticeable even during simple spirited driving. As you said the Mustang does indeed feel much more nimble. But it also feels better planted and you know when you're pushing it too hard. Not to mention it's much easier to control during sideways action if that's your thing.

My Camaro on the other hand reminded me of my 2006 GTO in more ways than one. The FE4 was quite the improvement and the sole reason I waited until 2012 to buy one. But it still felt quite numb with massive understeer, dull feedback and provided little warning before letting go.

ULTRAZLS1 10-23-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody6.2 (Post 7119857)
I wouldn't call it a "minute" difference as it's quite noticeable even during simple spirited driving. As you said the Mustang does indeed feel much more nimble. But it also feels better planted and you know when you're pushing it too hard. Not to mention it's much easier to control during sideways action if that's your thing.

My Camaro on the other hand reminded me of my 2006 GTO in more ways than one. The FE4 was quite the improvement and the sole reason I waited until 2012 to buy one. But it still felt quite numb with massive understeer, dull feedback and provided little warning before letting go.

I know what your talking about. The first year I owned my car I did springs, sway bars, strut tower brace and sub frame bushings. The handling especially the feel is now GREATLY improved. Its night and day.
My stock suspension 4th gen felt more nimble than my current car at times but I would have to be crazy to think it would hang with my current car on a track especially with its suspension mods. Feel can sometimes be misleading and is somewhat of a personal preference.

Regardless...it is not crazy for me to deduce that the new fe4 car should at least be on par with the 5.0 now given the cars were rather close before the change.

I wish we had a real comparison to discuss...