Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   I need some help, catch can install. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300183)

ernie scar 06-05-2013 09:20 PM

I need some help, catch can install.

2 Attachment(s)
I’m just in the process of installing my catch can. I have had one stashed away in a box just waiting to be used. Anyway can someone tell me what the diameter for the piping is (picture circled in red), or the hose size you used.

I had some old hose that I thought I could use, but as expected it was too big; next picture.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

closs2sx 06-05-2013 09:25 PM

i believe if i am not mistaken its 3/8 id hose that you need i will check when i get home from work to be sure

BRAVO 2SS 06-05-2013 09:37 PM

Yup...3/8 id

Al C. 06-05-2013 09:55 PM

3/8's

ernie scar 06-06-2013 06:48 AM

BRAVO 2SS, closs2sx and Al C. Thanks for your help.

I think the hardest part of the install was taking the factory hose off. Figuring out how to make a bracket out of flat stock to mount the catch can was easier.

Thanks again for your help guys.

E-Ray 06-06-2013 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, 3/8 inside diameter. Just installed mine.

Attachment 519954

bkatzman 06-06-2013 08:13 AM

Very nice looking!

SC2150 06-06-2013 09:49 AM

Also, do NOT use a fuel line type or heater hose type as when warm these will collapse and block the flow (they are designed to operate under pressure, not vacuum).

Use a hydraulic rated stiff sidewall like the trans cooler hose.

:thumbsup:

MMXI SS 06-06-2013 02:36 PM

Tracey,
Do you think SAE30R7 rated hose is okay? That's what I have on my car now. The Goodyear website states "Fuel Line/PCV/Emission Control" and it looks like it has the same construction of their Transmission Oil Cooler Hose.

SC2150 06-06-2013 08:10 PM

Yes. Emission's rated is made to not collapse under vacuum.

For the non believers, here is a common result from customers we have guided through (and yes, had to wait for their product far to long):

Hey Tracy, Just wanted to thank you, and everyone at RevXtreme. I bought a catch can from you, for my 2005 CTS. Well since installing it i'm not consuming any oil anymore. I've had a close eye on the oil level since i have installed it and it hasn't used a drop. I don't know how or what that catch can has done to prevent the oil consumption. (I've read your tech tips article and understand the concept of how a catch can work.) I guess i am just baffeled that it something so simple like that could work.

Anyway just wanted to thank you. I was at my last wits end with this car and was about to put it back on the market, after the dealer replaced two motors under warrenty.

I'll be purchasing another catch can from you in the future. I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is getting a turbo as we speak, as a fun project street car.

But thanks again. It was definetly worth the wait.

Gabe Moulden

:thumbsup:

OldScoolCamaro 06-06-2013 08:31 PM

I have to say the hose as supplied by RX is my only complaint as it's way too stiff <overkill>. Would not a vacuum line hose such as that what was supplied back in the 70's thats not so stiffly braided in the center wall be sufficient for most everyday users? We are not talking abut 100K miles of durabiity of use until failure here with a supply/return hose I hope.